If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The collective bullshit that my roommate has done

edited 2013-01-28 03:44:41 in Meatspace
Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

I had pretty good roommates the first two years of college. They were quiet, considerate, and while I wasn't exactly friends with either of them, they didn't bother me and I didn't bother them. Then junior year came, I was blessed with THIS guy. This guy has, to date:

• Leaves loads of trash around, and it doesn't get cleaned unless I tell him to or I do it myself.

• Sings to himself, a major pet peeve of mine, he seems to have stopped doing this for the time but no telling when he'll start again.

• His diet is horrid. The guy seems to eat nothing but chicken wings from 7-Eleven or the cafeteria. I don't think I've seen him eat a vegetable this entire year. Last semester, he used to down 2 12-packs of soda every week. I mean, I'm not Mr. Health Nut myself, but at least I have some restraint. I have seen him visibly gain weight since I started rooming with him.

• Whenever he brings food over from 7-Eleven (like 90% of his meals), he always eats it very loudly, making sucking and slurping noises all the time.

• He has a bizarre sleep schedule where he sleeps for most of the day, gets up anywhere from 5 to 7 PM and plays Dota non-stop until like 6 AM. Forcing me to sleep with a blindfold.

• When he does go to sleep at normal time, he takes his laptop with him, and forgets to shut it off or close the lid. Leaving the room brightened by the screen all night. Again forcing me to sleep with a blindfold.

• Sometimes never puts on clothes beyond underwear. He had an excuse in the beginning of the year, when the room got really hot, but he keeps doing it even in the dead of winter because he's too lazy to get dressed.

• Each dorm floor has a small lobby with a couple tables, chairs, sofas etc. My roommate  took one of the chairs for himself even though it clearly marked that you're not supposed to. His excuse was that his chair was broken (it wasn't, I checked), but he still didn't give it back even when I told him this. I had to personally take it back to the lobby.

• BY FAR the most annoying thing he does is him constantly playing Dota, and a lot of the time he voice-chats (he's doing it right as I'm typing this up). It's ALWAYS loud and ALWAYS irritating. He's incapable of quieting down when I ask him to, and rarely leaves the room when I tell him to, in fact I've been forced out of the room more often than not. Coincidentally, he likes to do this around the same time I like to study, and again refuses to quiet down or leave unless I flag him down before he starts up. The only thing that guarantees that he quiets down is if turn off all the lights and go to sleep. Even then he doesn't stop playing or leave the room, he just stops voice chatting.

• His friend likes to come over a few times a week, and they both play Dota. This wouldn't be that much of a problem except that they make twice the amount of noise. Again, they rarely leave even if I tell him to.

Despite all this, he's not doing this on purpose. I think most of this is caused by a lack of self-awareness and that this is his first time away from home (he's a freshman). I've been trying to be patient and understanding with him, but this is seriously getting on my nerves and might be negatively affecting my studies. I've talked to him about most of these things, and sometimes he listens and obliges, but the problem is he immediately goes back to his old behaviors.

Fortunately, I've contacted my R.A. and hopefully she can either get him to stop all this or get me another room because goddamn I've had it. My only regret is that I didn't do this months ago.

Comments

• You can change. You can.

Find his wallet and hide it. 

Or change the locks. Keep him out for a whole week.

Or kill the wi-fi in your room before a certain time and don't tell him how it happened. 

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Find his wallet and hide it. 

As someone who has been missing a wallet for almost a week, I can tell you with certainty there is a circle of hell reserved specifically for those who would willingly part a human being and his wallet.

• You can change. You can.

A man can only cry when he has lost his wallet indeed.

But really, that's probably the easiest way to get him to not eat 7/11 all the time.

• You don't have to be understanding about anything, really: his health and his studies are his own to ruïn, but his lazy manchild behaviour shouldn't interfere with a functional biorhytm and an effort to actually make the year.

None of your demands safe perhaps the strictness about the chair thing strike me as particularly whiny: however, when talking to your RA, I'd say make sure to separate the trivial annoyances out-much as you'd like to, it's his right to turn himself into Jabba.

• edited 2013-01-28 07:05:32
    Kichigai birthday!!
    I'm anxious as fuck because my roommate has told me he'll be leaving by the end of the month so that means I'll be living alone. It'll be weird not having anyone to chit-chat with
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Become nastier. Listen to black metal at max volume and growl along with the song. Burn some unholy concoction in the room (doesn't have to be drugs) and claim it's a pagan religious ritual. Or conversely, greet him daily with "have you accepted Religion Founder into your life yet?". Channel Alex and practice martial arts in the room. Eat only awfully smelly food that you prepare on your own and claim you want to avoid mind-controlling drugs They put in cafeteria food.

• >not being glad to have a place to yourself

Are you neurotypical or something?

• I remember my first flatmate, my best friend from High School, we got a crappy little place in town. It was a genuine dive. But we made it work.

• No rainbow star
    "Channel Alex"

That doesn't sound good for ones health
  • I'm a damn twisted person

I second the suggestion of killing the wifi for a few days. 

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Each dorm floor has a small lobby with a couple tables, chairs, sofas etc. My roommate  took one of the chairs for himself even though it clearly marked that you're not supposed to. His excuse was that his chair was broken (it wasn't, I checked), but he still didn't give it back even when I told him this. I had to personally take it back to the lobby.

HOLY SHIT I KNOW THIS FEEL.

You don't know how annoying it is to find a lounge devoid of furniture, then get dirty looks from your floor-mates when you ask them to please return the sofa or coffee table to the lounge.