If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

when people who call others nerds play fantasy football

edited 2013-01-14 02:25:20 in Webspace
yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

I see this every now and again (it's not too common, but it just happened on another site I go to, which is why I'm thinking about it), but it's just strange to me. Is fantasy football not incredibly nerdy, or is that just my perception?

what do you think, IJBM?

Comments

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

I'm kinda confused at to what Fantasy Football even is. I think there's some sort of gambling element?

Also, in general, being geeky about sports (unless it's a really obscure one) is one of the least geeky things you can do.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!
    Its DND but with Football.
  • yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

but it's like the same thing, though.

I don't get why it's more socially acceptable than any other trading game, which as far as I know, is essentially what it is.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Is it? Specifically? Every time I hear about it, it's usually as some sort of punchline.

I'm pretty sure it's a thing guys talk about at pubs and stuff. I knew a bunch of jocks in high school who were into it. Not going to rag on it in their case though, they were nice people for the most part. 

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

"It's like I don't know you anymore..."

"Fantasy football still counts as fantasy!"

http://www.homestarrunner.com/4gregs.html

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

By modern redefinition of the word, extreme sports people are nerds as well since the best definition I've heard tends to relate to passion.

Let's stop this nerd-on-nerd hate y'all.

• The geek hierarchy chart needs to be updated sooner or later: no Whovians, no Homestuck, no bronies-hasn't seen an update in years.

• From I gather from watching TV, Fantasy Football involves picking a bunch of football players you like, and using their...I dunno, score or something, during real games to decide who made the better team or something.

• a little muffled
    It's that, but with complicated codified rules, essentially.
  • I'm a damn twisted person

I wonder if fantasy football has a shipper community. 

Brian Urlacher/John Ochocinco OTP

• TheConductor,
    From I gather from watching TV, Fantasy Football involves picking a bunch of football players you like, and using their...I dunno, score or something, during real games to decide who made the better team or something.

I have only played fantasy football a few times, so I am no expert, but I think you pretty much described it. If it helps clarify some things, usually some type of draft occurs beforehand where teams in a league alternate in picking a player until their rosters are filled up. Before the actual games, people decide which players on their teams will "start" based on how they think they will do.

Teams are also matched up each week and compete with scoring based on the combined stats (yards, TDs, points etc.) their starting players have in games that week. The teams with the best records in a league after a certain number of weeks go to the "playoffs" and then the league winner is decided during the last few weeks of the season. Sometimes money is at stake there, though not always, if any of that makes sense.

Are fantasy football fans nerds? I guess it depends on your definition of "nerd."Honestly, I feel uncomfortable using that word to describe anyone, since I think it has a rather negative connotation. I certainly see no reason why fantasy football fans should use it to denigrate others.

• I wonder if fantasy football has a shipper community.

I remember seeing Ice Hockey shipping in Fandom Secrets once.

• I'm kinda confused at to what Fantasy Football even is. I think there's some sort of gambling element?

Also, in general, being geeky about sports (unless it's a really obscure one) is one of the least geeky things you can do.

• I'm a damn twisted person
    From my experience with sports wonks, there is generally a 50/50 chance gambling will be involved for anything sports related.