If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

General politics thread (was: General U.S. politics thread)

Comments

• I meant Jeremy Corbyn. I don't like Donald Trump much either but that's for other reasons.
  • edited 2018-01-24 08:06:24
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Florida election officials have certified that a ballot measure to amend the state constitution to restore voting rights to those convicted of felonies who have served their sentences (with some exceptions).

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/politics/political-pulse/os-florida-felon-voting-rights-on-ballot-20180123-story.html

Under the current system, voting rights are not restored automatically, and whether they will be restored at all is up to the state, through the actions of the governor's administration.

I'll let Ballotpedia explain what's going on here:
    What would Florida Amendment 4 change?

Amendment 4 was designed to automatically restore the right to vote for people with prior felony convictions, except those convicted of murder or a felony sexual offense, upon completion of their sentences, including prison, parole, and probation. As of 2018, people with prior felonies never regain the right to vote in Florida, until and unless a state board restores an individual's voting rights. Under Gov. Rick Scott's (R) administration, convicted felons must wait five or seven years, depending on the type of offense, after the completion of their sentences to request that the board consider the restoration of their voting and other civil rights.

What is the current felon voting law in Florida?

As of 2018, Florida is one of four states where convicted felons never regain the right to vote, until and unless a state officer or board restores an individual's voting rights. This
    felon voting law was part of the original Florida Constitution of 1968—the state constitution active in 2017—as well as the state constitutions of 1885 and 1868.

In short, this is a "Jim Crow" law, and part of Florida's sordid history with voting rights: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/election/article95105602.html
  • edited 2018-01-30 22:33:13
    TIL:

The homophobic governor of Idaho, Butch Otter, was once married to Gay Otter.

(Gov. Clement Leroy "Butch" Otter (R) was married to Gay Simplot, daughter of an agribusiness magnate, from 1964-1992. And yes, he is anti-LGBT rights.)

Edit: I should take a moment to remind our dear readers that former Idaho U.S. Senator Larry Craig (R) is not gay.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    You may call him homophobic, but you can't say he's anti-Gay.

(By the way, there must be an alternate world where it is used as a slogan.)
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Rep. Trey Gowdy, a Republican from South Carolina's 4th congressional district who's been infamous for (1) pushing out one of the few Republican representatives who acknowledged the reality of climate change (Bob Inglis) and (2) pot-banging repeatedly about the Benghazi incident just to tar Hillary Clinton over it, will not run for re-election.

Rep. Bob Brady, a Democrat from Pennsylvania's 1st congressional district who's had a reputation as the local party boss in Philadelphia and who's under investigation for corruption by the FBI, and who once stole the Pope's water glass and drank from it, will not run for re-election.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Trey Gowdy

I hope he was a jock at school, 'cause it would've been hell for him otherwise. Gay Rowdy.
  • edited 2018-02-16 02:37:37
    Note to everyone discussing the recent shooting: The correct informal name for the school in question is "Stoneman Douglas", not either word by itself. Named after a famous conservationist, Marjory Stoneman Douglas, who was instrumental in advocating for the protection of Florida's Everglades. Outside of Florida, she's best known for her 1947 book "The Everglades: River of Grass".

Anyhow, the school is actually one of the top-notch public schools in the county, or at least it was when I was a high schooler. They were the ones to beat when it came to math and science competitions, for example, frequently sweeping the awards.

As for the event itself...I'm bad at words, so I'll just let a song filled with a combination of shock, resignation, lament, and outrage, speak for me. Specifically, the first ending theme of Cross Ange. WARNING: probably NSFW imagery.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    This whole gun debate in America has somehow reached the level of "ban the NRA's Amazon TV channel" which feels like a very close-minded world-view. I'm not a gun person, and can probably be best described as a Love Love Peace Peace person, but gun-nuts need somebody to provide for their deluded TV needs too.

There is very much a difference between culture and like, the political will to make a difference and therefore also make culture. I think America's gun laws are insane, and I think they should figure that stuff out, but I don't think a fringe TV streaming thing in Our Future Overlord Jeff Bezos' empire matters to this end.

It's very much in with what the twitter-world seems to be into. Ban everything I dislike even slightly or that doesn't conform, and let us embrace this world of living inside a social media bubble that is mostly "look how cool I am" quirkiness about how much we're all better than each other.
    A lot of companies have pulled back from their gun-positive positions. Amongst those, there were a lot that offered incentives to NRA card holders.This I agree with, because recruiting people is a whole different thing from just having your rando crazy internet channel.

Meanwhile, DT continuously being wrong about things means the news media actually has to teach me new things about the world. I did not know South Korea was such a big steel exporter to the US, or Canada, really.
    http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2018/03/possible_accidental_shooting_a.html

the X in "the U.S. has gone X days without a school shooting" has been reset to 0.
    a lack of locals applying
    with critics saying that the newcomers will steal work from residents or drag down wages

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    ask about their mothers and request that grocery stores in the area sell plantains and Goya coconut water.

I know these are probably things that genuinely helps but it doesn't stop them from sounding like a bag of grab-n-go 90s stereotypes.
    “They have drug problems, tattoo problems, show-up-to-work problems.”

I know you have to report everything accurately as a journalist or whatever but "tattoo problems"?
    Hispanics, like any people, have a wide variety of interests and views — but

This article actually reminds me of something I read a few weeks ago about how the Myth of Quaint Americana gets Europeans to visit America in droves.
    What does said "myth of quaint Americana" entail?
  • I assume it's something like this.
  • *does not know how to dance Merengue or anything else for that matter*

Also I've seeing too many discussions from confused yanks about what "hispanic" means. It should be straightforwardly simple to understand, but eh.
    I know you have to report everything accurately as a journalist or whatever but "tattoo problems"?

• edited 2018-03-12 11:31:17
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    I didn't know Jordan Klepper did some work for The Onion.

The US government is looking to pass a bill to arm retired police officers and veterans and have them work in schools literally a week after a veteran shot three nurses at the center he was living in.

Also Betsy DeVos is as... whatever as expected.
    STAHL: Have the public schools in Michigan gotten better?
    DEVOS: I don’t know. Overall, I, I can’t say overall that they have all gotten better.
  • edited 2018-03-14 09:53:15
    Visual analysis of the implications of yesterday's U.S. House special election in southwestern Pennsylvania (the 18th district): https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/politics/pennsylvania-18-preview/?utm_term=.fce0ab5342de

TL;DR the district map will be redrawn and the candidates will now live and likely run in different districts.

As for the status of the current result:

Conor Lamb’s (D) total lead is +677 right now.

The following votes are still outstanding:

* Greene County absentees: about 200 votes. Will probably net Rick Saccone (R) maybe 50 to 100 votes.
    * unreturned military ballots: WPXI says there’s about two dozen, no geography specified, while another mention says there are only 14 unreturned military ballots in Washington County, and they have until March 20 to arrive. Washington County is one of four counties with portions in the district; the other three are Allegheny (about twice as big as Washington County), Westmoreland (somewhere between the two), and Greene (about a tenth as big).
    * other unreturned absentee ballots: not sure if these will still be accepted and counted at this point, and if so, not sure until what date. also not sure how many there are, but they are probably very few, like less than 100 per county, based on what I remember of estimated absentee ballot totals compared to absentee ballot results.
    * provisional ballots: not sure if these exist, nor what the deadline is if they do

Also the following potential conditions are outstanding:

* possible tabulation errors
    * possible recount request from the Saccone campaign

All in all, Conor Lamb (D) is the most likely winner.

FYI, Donald Trump (R) defeated Hillary Clinton (D) here by about 58% to 39%, in November 2016.
  • edited 2018-03-14 14:34:26
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    xoxo, Tillerson

Somehow genuinely relatedly Hope Hicks was once the model for The It Girl series first book, which was also about nightmarish backstabbing people but was set in New York.
  • edited 2018-03-14 18:26:11
    Hello again, Etowah County! I'm sorry, Etowah County.

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2018/03/etowah_sheriff_pocketed_over_7.html

(Etowah County was most recently in the national spotlight for being the home of Roy Moore, and also the location of Gadsden Mall, where he got banned from while working in the DA's office. Yes, that guy.)
  • edited 2018-03-16 06:33:18
    Abe Lincoln cosplayer runs for election to U.S. Senate seat in Utah

I haven't been able to figure out whether "Abe Lincoln" is actually part of his name or just a snarky way of indicating his profession. It seems like it might actually be part of his name.

He faces Mitt Romney and 16 other Republican candidates in the primary election.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/04/the-last-temptation/554066/

TL;DR a short history of evangelicalism and its political significance.

Here's a choice bit:
    The difficulty with [evangelicals' current] approach to public life—other than its insanely pessimistic depiction of our flawed but wonderful country—is that it trivializes and undercuts the entire political enterprise. Politics in a democracy is essentially anti-apocalyptic, premised on the idea that an active citizenry is capable of improving the nation. But if we’re already mere minutes from the midnight hour, then what is the point? The normal avenues of political reform are useless. No amount of negotiation or compromise is going to matter much compared with the Second Coming.
    https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/politics/2018/03/22/eric-holder-lawsuit-against-gov-scott-walker-over-wisconsin-special-elections-hits-snag/448743002/

TL;DR Gov. Scott Walker (R), who has so far refused to hold special elections in senate district 1 (the Door Peninsula, on the northeast side of the state) and assembly district 42 (just north of Madison, in the center of the state), has now been ordered by a judge to do so. The two seats became vacant when their prior incumbents resigned on December 29 of last year to join Walker's administration.

Basically, Walker and his fellow Republicans became spooked after Dems won a special election in the 10th senate district (western Wisconsin). This district, as well as the two currently vacant ones, were all won by Trump by similar margins (Clinton got around 40% in each, and Obama got 46% to 51%), so now Walker has been trying to prevent more special election Dem victories by simply not holding the elections themselves.
    Upcoming special and other oddly-timed elections:

March 27

* Alabama House District 21: Huntsville-area seat. Republican incumbent passed away. Hazel Green High School history teacher Terry Jones (D) faces former Huntsville police chief Rex Reynolds (R).

April 3

* California Assembly Districts 39, 45, and 54: Three firmly blue districts around Los Angeles. In the first two, the Democratic incumbents resigned due to sexual harassment/misconduct allegations; in the last one, the Dem incumbent resigned for health reasons. All three will have jungle primaries of three to six Dems and one Repub; 50% to win outright, otherwise top two advance to runoff.

* Massachusetts Second Bristol House District: Located in Attleboro. Light blue. Democratic incumbent elected mayor of Attleboro. Retired teacher Jim Hawkins (D) faces Attleboro city councilor Julie Hall (R).

* Rhode Island Senate District 8: Located next door to the above district, in Pawtucket. Rather blue district. Democratic incumbent resigned due to personal problems with alcohol. Pawtucket city councilor Sandra Cano (D) faces local Republican Party chair Nathan Luciano (R) and independent Pamela Braman.

* Wisconsin Supreme Court: Statewide regular election for one of 7 seats on the Court. Currently at a 5-2 conservative majority, but one of the conservatives is retiring rather than standing for reelection to another ten-year term (i.e. until 2028). In this officially nonpartisan race, the de facto progressive candidate, Rebecca Dallet, is a Milwaukee County Circuit Court Judge, first elected there in 2008 then re-elected in 2014, and the de facto conservative candidate is a Sauk County Circuit Court Judge appointed by the infamous Scott Walker (R).

This last one's probably got the longest-lasting implications.

April 10

* Florida Senate District 31: Located in Palm Beach County -- the wealthier northern one of the three big southeast Florida counties. Probably rather blue district. Democratic incumbent resigned due to sexual misconduct. State representative Lori Berman (D) faces local Republican Party vice chair Tami Donnally (R).

* Iowa Senate District 25: small towns/rural areas between Ames and Waterloo, in central Iowa. Mildly red by Obama numbers (45%), quite red by Clinton numbers (34%). Republican incumbent resigned following the release of a video showing him kissing a lobbyist. Small business owner Tracy Freese (D) faces former state rep. Annette Sweeney (R).

The Iowa Senate currently has a Republican majority of 28/50 seats, with 1 vacancy as mentioned above, so it's the closest to changing party control of all the state lege chambers mentioned here.

(CA Assembly, MA House, and RI Senate have big Dem majorities; Alabama House and Florida House have big Republican majorities. CA Assembly currently has Dems in 52/80 seats, which is just under a veto-proof 2/3 supermajority, but I don't see reason to expect them to lose two or more of the three seats mentioned above, or heck, any of them, so they should go back up to 55. Also, governor Jerry Brown is a Dem.)
    http://fundformichiganstomorrows.com/
    This page was not paid for or endorsed by any candidate. It was paid for by the people who discovered Schuette’s team hadn’t bothered to register the domain name of his own SuperPAC, so did it for him.
    It really amazes me how single-minded the American media can be. If the American economy takes a turn for the worse, it'll be entirely because of the tariffs Donald Trump is imposing.

It'll have nothing to do with the lowkey interest rate rises that keep happening entirely to keep institutional investors happy; or those rising inflation numbers that blipped once already this year and were dismissed as a "stock market correction"; or literally all of the Obama-era post-2008 policies and watchdogs that have been undone or broken up, respectively.
    This is a pretty neat thing.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/02/19/upshot/pennsylvania-new-house-districts-gerrymandering.html

So, in summary, the way congressional districts are drawn has always been a frequent bone of contention. The United States largely doesn't use multi-member districts, but simply has one representative per geographically-defined (and non-overlapping) district, for members of the House of Representatives, the lower house of the national Congress. "Gerrymandering" -- the practice of drawing district lines to advantage one party over the other -- has been a thing since the early 1800s, if not earlier.

Pennsylvania's House map was drawn by Republicans, who controlled the levers of government at the state level following the 2010 census, and thus got to draw maps. However, recently, the Pennsylvania state supreme court ruled that the map was an unconstitutional gerrymander, according to the Pennsylvania state constitution. So, as a result, a new map was drawn up.

The article I linked compares each new congressional district to its rough predecessor, giving relatively detailed maps indicating what areas each set of district lines encompasses, district by district.

The new map will be used in the upcoming November 2018 elections, for the congressional term beginning January 2019. (There will also be at least two special elections for the last few months of the present term, using the old map, only because there have been two resignations recently. We actually already had a special election in another Pennsylvania congressional district earlier this year, using the old map as well.)

(By the way, let me know if you want to see me report more about special elections. They are scattered and can take a while to type up, but that's where between-cycle electoral excitement takes place.)