If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Wizards

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

It's still eminently less efficient and safe.

Besides, if you're an evil villain, chances are you already have an army of undead thralls. You don't need to endanger yourself to make more in the middle of combat.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Well, say you're in full plate and fighting a bunch of peasants with farming tools. You're probably not worried about them piercing your armour, because they can't. 

Ooh! Then you could have stuff like warhammers that have raised areas on their surfaces in the shape of these symbols. So you just whack someone and then, bam, instant magical graph or diagram. 

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Yes. But at that point, you still may as well just hand those hammers to thralls.

Similarly, you may as well just have symbols engraved on arrowheads and fire them from a distance- leaving you both safely out of combat and having the ability to still do damage.

Like... "No big deal, caught the arrow on my shield!" *the arrow summons a golem*

• I'm a damn twisted person

Fine then challenge mode - wind magic. Asphyxiate the target by pulling the air away from them. 

^^ These are the kinds of binds I'm talking about, by the way. You can see how swift and complex the movements already are; a bit of extension would allow one to cut into their adversary shallowly with reasonable ease. The reason they don't do so is because of the emphasis on a singular, winning strike, in which case it's more efficient to fight with threats and deterrence until you find the perfect opening. 

^ A crossbow. 

• You can change. You can.

If someone can affect the wind, therefore it follows they can affect the trajectory of an arrow.

I'm sorry how can you aim the crossbow when you are passing out from oxygen deprivation?

Ideally, you shoot wizards on sight. Open season. 

The reason they don't do so is because of the emphasis on a singular, winning strike,

Which is exactly what I'm saying. Efficiency and safety > carving symbols into opponent's flesh.

Yes, but the point is that there's technical precedent. And if the spell is sufficiently valuable enough, I can see an evil overlord or whatever doing this kind of thing. Like, he wants the princess to fall in love with him so he can take the throne to the kingdom, but he has to cast a spell on her fiance for it to happen or whatever. Plot stuff. 

Then just cast it onto an arrowhead or a crossbow bolt!

Much safer than engaging in close combat.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

I'm sorry how can you aim the crossbow when you are passing out from oxygen deprivation?

By burning up your cosmo. I know bad joke.

• edited 2012-12-14 01:55:06
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

^^ But that doesn't follow story logic! The villain has to have a sword fight the princess' fiance. It's just one of those things. 

Not if the villain is an evil wizard! Then, his karmic death involves falling off a high tower.

It's the black knight you have to swordfight, and he doesn't have magic. Sheesh.

Alternatively - the villain hooks up with the princess' fiance and they ride off into the sunset together and ruin the princess' wedding that way. 

That only works with a sorceress. (I hope.)

• edited 2012-12-14 02:01:16
    I'm a damn twisted person

Evil wizards just want to feel love. And why shouldn't Graflax the Undying not want to fall asleep held in the protective arms of Gwaiwin the Glorious. 

And occasionally smell his hair. 

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Nova, the Yuri Queen.

• edited 2012-12-14 02:05:25
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

It's the black knight you have to swordfight, and he doesn't have magic. Sheesh.

Man, the black knight is like the one kind of knight that's allowed to have magic. 

Alternatively - the villain hooks up with the princess' fiance and they ride off into the sunset together and ruin the princess' wedding that way. 

Another alternative - the princess was just putting on airs for the fiance and secretly hated him, pining for the villain all the while. With the spell complete, she now hates the villain and loves the fiance. Ba-dum-tish!

"WHAT HO, SHE-ELF?!"

Being Graflax the Undying is suffering. She will never find her megucka. 

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Man, the black knight is like the one kind of knight that's allowed to have magic.

I always figured Black Knights to be insanely fanatical magic haters.

Maybe because every character I've played in the past year have been exactly that...

I consider the black knight to be a versatile archetype -- perhaps as petty as a bandit knight or a mercenary, or they could be a knight who has entered a covenant with a demon, or even a demon taking human shape to mock its victims. Perhaps two archetypes together, like the knight meets the black magician. 

My favorite ever?

http://s3.roosterteeth.com/images/EHatred4f088968ae5da.jpg

Man, the black knight is like the one kind of knight that's allowed to have magic. 

no that's wrong

But seriously? If black knights have magic, it's usually more esoteric than functional in combat.

The one type of magic they often have that is useful in combat is blood magic- i.e. drawing power from blood, whether it's blood of their own that is spilled, or the blood of their opponent they spill. Occasionally they have the ability to instantaneously cause agony, or... well, things like that.

But not shooting fireballs out of their hand that's a wizard thing geez

But fireballs are perfect for black knights. The charring from fire magic could also explain the black armour. 

yes

they're charred because wizards shot them with a fireball

duh

• The Guardian class for Guild Wars 2 is a pretty cool magic knight. 

For one thing, you wear heavy armor. With a warhammer you can smash people up, down, left, right, outside, make a glyph of protection on the ground, and then make a small arena around you and your opponent that none can enter. With a torch you can set yourself on fire, throw the torch, or blow flames. With a staff you can send shockwaves of pure force, shoot cleansing balls of energy, and create a line that none can pass. 

But my personal favorite is the greatsword, which you can use to slash people good, carve a seal of bane on the ground, and even throw out small energy greatswords at multiple enemies and reel them in like fish.

• Definitely not gay.

God this is the second nerdiest thing I have ever made

Dragon's Dogma had a cool magic knight class. 

One of its coolest abilities was this orb of energy you could summon. Upon striking it, it would send out a bolt of magic to target the nearest enemies. But you could also use other abilities on it, some of which would cause it to send out a rapid fire salvo of magical blasts. What's more, you could cast two of these and have enough stamina left over for the rapid firing, allowing you to essentially create a double-barreled magical machine gun with homing rounds. 

There were some other cool abilities, like being able to enchant your shields and deal elemental counter damage by that virtue, but the machine gun thing took the cake.