If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Wizards

edited 2012-12-13 23:54:42 in IJAM
Definitely not gay.

Wizards are just awesome. 

Although they might forsake swords and melee theory and all that, they do something way better. They harness the power of vaguely-defined forces that only THEY can understand. Wizards say "I set you on fire" and you're on fire! Wizards say "You are now stone" and you're stone! Wizards just think about something happening and it just does. And you know why? Magic. There isn't any other explanation needed!

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I'm still looking for a wizard that understands geometric combat theory.

Still lookin'.

Not under this cushion, nope. Behind the desk? Not there. Not hiding in the wardrobe, either. I even checked the pantry, and if you're going to find a wizard anywhere, it's there, right? But I just cannot find a wizard who understands geometric combat theory. 

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

inb4 predictabo

• Definitely not gay.

Likely 'cos they're too busy studying Reality Overwriting 101.

I've never met a wizard who could overwrite a sword. :>

• edited 2012-12-14 00:06:13
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

That's because they overwrote your memory, too.

• Definitely not gay.

I've never met a wizard who could overwrite a sword. :>

http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Reductor_Curse

• Your worth is 50 yen!

Alex, you should damn well know by now that wizards in my tabletop RPG can do that. XD

• Definitely not gay.

But seriously, wizards and warriors should respect each other more.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

The best combination is, of course, wizards who wield swords. Or SwordGuns.

• edited 2012-12-14 00:12:53
    Definitely not gay.

>spellblades

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com//comics/00000997.jpg" alt="" />

• Definitely not gay.

I would actually like to see spellblade combat be more in-depth than "lol sword slash and fireball". Like how would they integrate spells into their mode of combat?

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

What about someone who buffs himself or his weapons?

• edited 2012-12-14 00:18:49
    I'm a damn twisted person

> This chummer doesn't know the glory of Kamen Rider

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/004/403/Girls.png" alt="" width="449" height="401" />

• Definitely not gay.

What about someone who buffs himself or his weapons?

That's barely scratching the surface.

• edited 2012-12-14 00:19:48
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I would actually like to see spellblade combat be more in-depth than "lol sword slash and fireball". Like how would they integrate spells into their mode of combat?

Controlling the range of their adversaries- no getting inside my range for you or else bam.

Deflecting arrows and other ranged attacks.

Tossing fireballs at opponents who won't stay in melee range.

^^ inorite

• Definitely not gay.

I'm talking about non-attack magic spells.

I mean of course spellblades would integrate attack magic into their strategies, but how would other things such as enchanting and conjuring factor in?

• I'm a damn twisted person

You know how Kitty Pryde has the power to phase through things? Apply that to a fighter and their weapons. 

• Definitely not gay.

That's a good example, actually.

Lets just tick off a list of X-men power sets

-Teleportation and wall crawling

-Iron skin

-MEAT FROM THE MEAT DIMENSION 

-PUNCHES FROM THE PUNCH DIMENSION OUT OF THEIR EYES

-magnetic fuckery with metals regardless of how magnetically charged or inert they normally are

Better examples of stuff a spellblade could do:

• Alter the physical attributes of their weapons in real time. I'm not talking about changing blade shapes or stuff like that, but shifting points of balance, where the "strong" of a sword blade is and so on. 

• Casting more conventional spells with the correct combination of sword techniques in the right context. If the setting has a musical component to magic, a spellblade might "tune" their sword to produce a particular tone when it hits something else. If two such swords clashed...

• Related to the previous example; say, in a setting, a magical effect is applied to any object with a symbol drawn on it. Spellblades might be swordsmen skilled enough to cut such symbols or icons into the flesh of an adversary, or warriors tough enough to carve them into themselves, sealing the effect with scarification. 

• Deflecting missile attacks is always a good one. 

Alex, you should damn well know by now that wizards in my tabletop RPG can do that. XD

And you still severely underestimate the humble dagger. :>

Related to the previous example; say, in a setting, a magical effect is applied to any object with a symbol drawn on it. Spellblades might be swordsmen skilled enough to cut such symbols or icons into the flesh of an adversary, or warriors tough enough to carve them into themselves, sealing the effect with scarification. 

Are you trying to tell me being effectively a stabby ghost is less useful than Zorro superpowers?

Naturally.

Also, stabby ghosts are lame because they circumnavigate swordsmanship rather than excel at it. Where's the fun in that?

Spellblades might be swordsmen skilled enough to cut such symbols or icons into the flesh of an adversary

Alternately, just make like a smart person and stab them. :|

The fun is that you can stick your hand into somebody's chest as a ghost, and rip out their still beating heart. If you can appreciate why that is cool, your either drunk or suffering from a concussion. And being a ghost negates the problem or ranged projectiles. What now Alex, what now?

• edited 2012-12-14 01:00:05
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

^^ Well, thrusting isn't always the optimal solution. 

Anyway, the magical effects could make Zorro superpowers worth it. For instance, finishing your adversary off with the correct symbol cut into their body might immediately reanimate their corpse as a thrall. Or it could bind their soul to an object, or even the sword itself. This is all awesome bad guy stuff. 

^

I take levels of Cleric. 

I presume it would be less effort to just decapitate three people than it would be to carve symbols into a single opponent's flesh as they're fighting you.

True. 

On the other hand, if you're really good with German binds...

Symbol magic is all well and good, but it's not something you'd particularly want to combine with swordwork.

Maybe you'd kill an opponent, then quickly duck down and carve a haphazard symbol onto their flesh with a dagger. But as you're fighting them? Not only is that a lot less efficient, it's also a lot less safe.

• edited 2012-12-14 01:10:47
    I'm a damn twisted person

Counterpoint - magnetism or gravity magic - win the fights by flinging everybody 20 meters into the air. Or pinballing between the ceiling and floor multiple times in quick succession. 

• edited 2012-12-14 01:10:12
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

^^ The idea is that you work it in with existing bindwork, after the initial clash of swords. You may have to make, say, two or three passes... but if you're an evil villain and everything that comes with that, then two or three passes shouldn't be an issue.

This all depends on the complexity of the symbols, mind, but I'm thinking of stuff like "a circle split down the middle, written in blood" kind of thing. 

And there are always grapples, of course, which would obviously make this easier with a dagger. 

^ Counterpoint - metal loses its magnetism when subjected to extreme heat, which is a part of the forging process. Faith-based miracle magic denies the concept of gravity, which then ceases to exist; everybody slowly lifts off the ground.