If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Why DRM-free is still better than Steam

edited 2012-11-22 16:16:16 in Webspace
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I just tried starting Steam, twice.

Both times it failed because it couldn't connect to the Steam network.

This is why we should buy DRM-free versions before Steam versions, people.

Comments

• I don't use Steam at all. :D
  • Wow, you are literally the first person I have ever heard complain about Steam.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

No, I'm not.  But I'm just disappointed in the number of people who still think that Steam is better than DRM-free.

• edited 2012-11-22 16:21:41
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    When that happens to me, I hit "start in offline mode" and it does. Apparently that doesn't work for some people, though, and were I among them I imagine I would be pretty annoyed about that.
  • yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Wow, you are literally the first person I have ever heard complain about Steam.

youmustbenewhere.jpg

Anyway, Steam's setup is kinda stupid. It's still more practical than some stuff though.

• Steam is better than DRM-free.

This doesn't even make sense.

DRM is always bad for the consumer.

So not having DRM is always better than having it, even if it's relatively good DRM like Steam's.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Steam also provides lots of extra functions, though. Those are good. Some people feel they outweigh the relatively minor DRM.
  • edited 2012-11-22 16:28:25

people who still think that Steam is better than DRM-free.

What kind of twisted logic do they run on?

edit: ^ Surely it's possible to have bonuses without DRM. At least, in theory.

The logic that I posted directly above your post. It isn't exactly complicated.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Steam has the largest selection of any digital distributor, has the best sales, automatically keeps my games organized and in one place, is the primary way I keep in touch with my friends, and most of the games I play on a regular basis have an online component anyway.

So forgive me for not really caring about your complaints.

> Surely it's possible to have bonuses without DRM. At least, in theory.

Okay, so when a DRM-free version of Steam comes along, that will be good.
  • There are a few select games that I prefer the non steam version(oblivion for example), but on the whole I don't mind Steam.

• Desura is basically Steam with less DRM, but the trade-off is that it has a much less diverse selection, a much smaller userbase, and a slightly less convenient interface.

Why is Oblivion better without Steam?
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    I would probably really like Steam if I played more games, and if my computer had better specs.
  • edited 2012-11-22 16:45:00
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Steam's really good for TF2 and other multiplayer games; other than that, it's basically just a digital download helper, with a few extra bells and whistles like buddy list, screenshot gallery, wishlist, and achievements, not all of which are convenient (I'm starting to dislike achievements for a couple reasons).  Plus DRM.

Then again, most of my Steam games are single-player, so multiplayer doesn't do much for me.

Steam does have nice sales, but there's been at least once so far that I've had the option of a cheaper Steam version and a more expensive DRM-free version and I chose the latter.

> When that happens to me, I hit "start in offline mode" and it does. Apparently that doesn't work for some people, though, and were I among them I imagine I would be pretty annoyed about that.

It didn't give me that option.  It just failed to start.  It does that when it wants to update.

And it did it again.

• I figure Steam's relatively low DRM is worth it if it's enough to divert the total amateur pirates into a heavily discounted sale without crimping customers.  While "must be online" stuff irks me, I haven't really had any problems with telling it to go offline ahead of time.

Steam does have nice sales

That's the big one for me. If I can get a game for a negligible portion of what I would pay elsewhere -- as I frequently can with Steam -- I'm buying that version unless the DRM is really bad, a la Origin.

• I was having trouble getting the LAA patch working, some tools expect oblivoin+obse to be started through the obse loader. The oblivion stutter remover has its offsets based on the retail version so running it with the steam version can cause more crashes than otherwise. I've just had less crashes with the non steam version.

• edited 2012-11-23 02:09:42

RE: The bonuses

Well, GOG sells completely DRM-free downloads with bonus content, but I don't really know how their bonuses compare with other places, and their selection is pretty damn limited, presumably due to how they only have stuff they have a global license for (and that it used to be just for retro games).

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

I have a rule that, whenever a game is simultaneously on GOG and Steam, GOG always takes the cake.

My bank won't even let my buy from GOG because they think Europe is a massive scam :/

I have to borrow my mom's credit card if I want anything from there.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

My bank won't even let my buy from GOG because they think Europe is a massive scam :/

Well, to be fair, it is. :|

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

How so?

• You can change. You can.

Yeah man. The Queen of England is just another Nigerian Prince let me tell ya

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

How so?

it's obvious

just look at it

so smug

how could it not be a scam

I have this problem with Desura/Indie Royale.  That's based in Australia.

Well, to be fair, it is. :|

Line of the day.

• Champion of the Whales

Eh?

They trust the Queen of the United Kingdom.

This really is a serious problem.

Steam - Error

Could not connect to the Steam network.
    This could be due to a problem with your internet connection, or with the
    Steam network. Please visit www.steampowered.com for more info.

[OK]

I'm becoming very familiar with this thing.