If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Weather is serious business.

edited 2012-10-29 08:12:45 in Meatspace
My arms are falling off!

When I'm talking with local friends, talking about the weather is small talk fodder most of the time.

On the Internet, good fucking god it becomes prime "check your privilege" bait. I'm from San Jose, California, where during daylight, about 70-75 is the norm for spring, 80-90 for summer, and 55-65 for fall, and 35-50 for winter. People from colder climates look at this and immediately decide I deserve no right to complain about being cold if the mercury hasn't dipped below 50, even if I'm just wearing a T-shirt or a thin jacket.

I'm just used to--and prefer--warmer weather, okay? I hate cold. It makes me feel somewhat immobilized (especially when trying to get out of bed) as opposed to being very warm.

Comments

• edited 2012-10-29 09:11:44
    Has friends besides tanks now

I deserve no right to complain about being cold if the mercury hasn't dipped below 50, even if I'm just wearing a T-shirt or a thin jacket.

As a Mainer, I'm inclined to say this is true. :3

(Keep in mind I've seen people walk around in T-shirts and shorts when there was snow on the ground)

. . .

(Please give me your weather!)

• My arms are falling off!

Thanks for proving my point.

• Has friends besides tanks now

For what it's worth, I've never actually seen people get so uptight about weather, in real life or on the Internet. What sites do you visit that weather is suddenly a privilege?

Is it tumblr?

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I'm just used to--and prefer--warmer weather, okay? I hate cold. It makes me feel somewhat immobilized (especially when trying to get out of bed) as opposed to being very warm.

Funnily enough, I'm the opposite. I can't stand the heat- it makes me feel like I'm heating from the inside out. I like the cold- it's feels nice.

Plus, it's easy to dress up against the cold. Harder to dress down against the heat.

• edited 2012-10-29 11:03:33

I live in the North of Scotland. NONE OF YOU HAVE ANY RIGHT TO COMPLAIN. 

In Scotland, we only have two seasons: Winter and July.

• My arms are falling off!

For one example, I once posted a photo around June about going to San Francisco, where the weather at the time was cloudy and about 55-60, to which one person told me to "man up".

Also years ago I mentioned it was 65 inside my room and someone harshly pointed out that's a typical British summer.

• Champion of the Whales

I live in the North of Scotland. NONE OF YOU HAVE ANY RIGHT TO COMPLAIN. 

In Scotland, we only have two seasons: Winter and July.

I dont even get that

I just get winter and monsoon

• No rainbow star
    It gets down to -20 c here on a regular basis, and often to -30 c

We sometimes get snow in July

Do we win?
  • edited 2012-10-29 17:02:49
    if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

This winter, temperatures would get down to -20 C. And the highest summer temperatures were well over +40 C.

It used to be way milder just several years ago. Fuck climate change.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I sort of expected this thread to be about the Frankenstorm.

I don't really have anything constructive to add to this thread, so I'll show myself out.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Yeah, about that storm, I'm still around.  If shit hits the fan I'll try to post about it.

Fuck climate change.

This.

• No but seriously: I agree with the OP, temperature is pretty relative in how much it affects you. Obviously someone who lives in, say; Spain is going to be a lot more annoyed in Scotland's weather than say someone from France.

• edited 2012-10-29 19:10:03
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

My school's closed tomorrow too.  Heh, no class tomorrow.

Apparently Sandy made landfall about an hour ago.  And just now, it's been downgraded to tropical storm status.

New York City is starting to flood.  At least, the southern tip of Manhattan Island is--like, Battery Park City.  I presume the subway system is also filling with water by this point, since it's all below sea level.

Hey you climate change deniers, there's your sea level rise wreaking havoc.  Fuck you again, and extra fuck for Jim Inhofe.

There was a point where my parents were thinking of moving to New York City.  We were looking for houses in southern Queens.  I even suggested my parents buy a house in the Hamilton Beach neighborhood...that place practically is the waterfront...I shudder to think what would be happening if we had moved there...

Here's a funny thing.

Last year, two days before Halloween, where I was living was hit by a massive natural disaster, a blizzard in October.  Cue power outages all over the place.  (Forzare can tell you about that.)

This year, two days before Halloween, Frankenstorm Sandy comes ashore and smacks the eastern seaboard of the United States.

And the power is starting flicker again.  It's already nighttime here so I might as well just go to bed.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Glenn you don't happen to live in PA, do you?

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

This year, two days before Halloween, Frankenstorm Sandy comes ashore and smacks the eastern seaboard of the United States.

Meanwhile, in Serbia:

idiot

Saw this posted on Facebook. People can be such idiots. :/ 

• edited 2012-10-29 20:02:17
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

This post was bugged by a forum glitch.

• a little muffled
    Being in Toronto I'm too far north to need really affected by Sandy but it's been rainy and windy as fuck for a few days now and there's worry about power disruption.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^^Is there any particular reason why this post is a duplicate of the one above it?

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

I just wanted to ask that myself.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I'm assuming some sort of forum bug; I've had a few such things happen to me, so it's not too unlikely.

What the fuck happened here...

Oh, I think I know what happened.  The facebook picture wasn't showing up, so I went to edit the post.  Then I posted a new post while the edit post was still open.

What I wanted to say was that I'm in Virginia, not Pennsylvania.  Lazuli, are you in Pennsylvania?  Because I think y'all are even more fucked than we are.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

I am.

Trust me, I know.

And I'm expected to go to work tomorrow night on top of all this. 

• a little muffled
    There was a Magic: The Gathering Grand Prix in Philadelphia over the weekend and a lot of the players are now trapped there due to flights being cancelled. Twitter has been interesting...
  • Has friends besides tanks now

Hey, I'm also in Pennsylvania! I don't think we're supposed to get it too bad, though. But we'll see! (And I hope that all three of my classes get cancelled, as opposed to the two that are currently cancelled).

Reporting in from just south of Fairfax, Virginia.  We're okay; electricity is running and there are no downed trees outside my window.  Just lots of leaves everywhere.  But I haven't headed outside for an entire day...

School is on on Wednesday.