If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

General US Election Thread

2»

Comments

• Except neither of them are massively multiplayer.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Yes, they are.

At least as much so as games such as Spiral Knights.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Well, that would make any server-based game an MMO. Except that MMOs distinguished themselves entire via having servers that far breached the capacities of regular ones. Normally, a server hold some multiple of 4 people, up to about 64. This is still the general maximum for most games, and while a few go beyond that, most still top out at 24 or 36. 

The point of MMOs is twofold:

1. To break those limits and allow hundreds or perhaps even thousands of players to interact on the same server. 

2. To allow said players to interact in a context that isn't necessarily always strict competition.

I got into multiplayer gaming via server-based FPS games like CounterStrike and Day of Defeat, and the idea of an MMO back then was kind of amazing because it was intentionally different from the existing model of multiplayer. Of course, some MMORPGs already existed, but they were few and far between and even less developed than they are today. Games like Tribes: Ascend and TF2 follow, precisely, the traditional FPS multiplayer model; servers of a 1-3 dozen people duking it out on maps for a certain amount of rounds until the game resets and the map is changed. 

The whole idea of an MMO goes far beyond that model, for both better and worse. 

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Except that MMOs distinguished themselves entire via having servers that far breached the capacities of regular ones. Normally, a server hold some multiple of 4 people, up to about 64. This is still the general maximum for most games, and while a few go beyond that, most still top out at 24 or 36. 

Except that many MMOs instance their worlds into topping out around fifty players at once now.

That is, they are MMO's in the same vein as Guild Wars (the original, not Guild Wars 2). Players, reviewers, and everyone, bill the game as an MMO, although technically they're officially billed as a 'competitive online role-playing game'.

• The only legitimate point that smear site has is that she admits her online life nukes her productivity(which could also be seen as self-deprecation). Otherwise, it's refreshing to see a politician use just plain swearing and combative language instead of discriminatory statements and fabricated insinuations to discredit the opponent.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

What politics desperately need is some real honesty and directness. It's always refreshing to see a politician who genuinely speaks their mind and doesn't wrap everything up in hollow diplomatic formalities.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I'm not sure TF2 is an MMO.  It's an online game, but it's more like an oligoplayer online game, unless you count 24 players as "massive", or count the item economy as part of the game.

And I love this board.  The general election politics thread is discussing whether TF2 is an MMO, and the Romney PBS comments thread is discussing what country one might move to. :D

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

or count the item economy as part of the game.

I suppose you could make the argument that TF2 is two games, one of which is an MMO.

Though I haven't actually played the PC version, so take that with a grain of salt.

• a little muffled
    @Nova: Most Guild Wars fans I knew when I played were very adamant about not calling it an MMO, actually. But it had more in common with one than TF2 does, anyway, with the whole "meet people in town and go questing with them" focus and the combat mechanics.

• edited 2012-10-10 12:22:54
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/10/scott-desjarlais-abortion-pro-life_n_1953136.html

TLDR: Anti-abortion male Tennessee Republican representative revealed to have "pressured" woman (with whom he had extramarital affair with) to get an abortion.  For what it's worth, this woman was his patient back when he was a doctor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ubjCziZ12g

Ohio State Treasurer and U.S. Senate Republican candidate Josh Mandel feigns (or demonstrates?) a lack of high-school-level language comprehension.

Democrat n. a person who has figured out that their own actions affect others.

Republican n. a person who has figured out that the actions of others affect themselves.

• Who plans on watching the VP debate tonight, I know I am.

• edited 2012-10-11 20:47:53

I have homework.

Plus, my watching unscripted stuff makes it suck.  So, later.

• It's Biden versus a possibly deranged cross between Smithers and Patrick Bateman. Not exactly a battle of wits, I'd reckon.
  • As a democrat Biden owned the debate and I cannot wait to see how the right spins a Ryan win or a tie.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

There was one of those in the Baltimore Sun for people voting in Maryland. Gave all the little issues we vote for, and what the supporters and detractors say.

As a first time voter, that's some nice stuff to have.

• You uh...didn't read the link, did you.

• edited 2012-10-22 19:44:03
    Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

-reads link-

I did not.

I'd vote for Gog.

• No rainbow star

Both Gog and Mog are full of it

I'd vote for the third party Tog

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Tog is great, but the guy just has no chance.

• No rainbow star

^ Stupid two cave system...

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

At least Gog isn't a raging, Cro Magnon hating bigot who only cares about those with the most rocks.

• edited 2012-10-23 03:13:25

I don't know about you, but Tog just doesn't have the same market penetration name rec as Gog or Mog.  Gog is squarely in the corner of indie game developers numerous smaller migrant families, while Mog has the support of larger publishers the few more established villages.  There's just no room for Tog.

So basically, a vote for Tog is a wasted vote.