If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

General US Election Thread

edited 2012-10-04 19:41:05 in Politics
No rainbow star

There we go

From what I've read, Romney essentially did a good job of catching Obama completely off guard in the debate

Comments

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^No he didn't. He just debated really aggressively, to the point where the mediator should have stepped in to quiet him down.

Granted, he still won the debate by virtue of making himself look better. Which is all that these debates are really about.

• You can change. You can.
    Well, he did catch him offguard. As in, he completely lied about his platform and Obama had to try and rethink how he approached Romney's answers.
  • edited 2012-10-04 19:59:22

Based on the debate, I hate Obama and Romney and politics in general.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-10-04 20:38:27

Unexpectedly relevant:

• a little muffled

Unexpectedly relevant colon?

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-10-04 20:38:39

Unexpectedly relevant BROKEN EFFING IMAGE.  *sigh* gimme a sec...

There, that should work.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I found Romney a bit annoyingly combative in the debate.

Obama, on the other hand, seemed kinda tired of dealing with him.

• Obama just seemed tired on the whole.  From what I hear he had a rough night of travel, though...not that rough.  He was off his game.

Romney's running on the assumption that the debate and related news stories are all that his constituency is going to watch (which probably isn't untrue).  So all he has to do is yell really loudly and make sure fact-checkers can't get a word in edgewise until after he's off the air.

• a little muffled

US politics entertain me because they manage to be more ridiculous than Canadian politics. Which is no mean feat, these days.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

electoral-vote.com comments that one big loser in yesterday's debate is Jim Lehrer, who basically lost control of the timing.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-10-04 22:34:14

I maintain that the picture that photoshopped Fluttershy over him is the best thing I've seen all week.  I was thinking it the whole damn time.

• No rainbow star

^ You mean this one?

• I maintain that the picture that photoshopped Fluttershy over him is the best thing I've seen all week. I was thinking it the whole damn time.

I hadn't seen the picture, but yes, exactly. "Um, e-excuse me, you're out of time. Oh, you want to keep speaking? That's...fine."

US politics entertain me because they manage to be more ridiculous than Canadian politics. Which is no mean feat, these days.

I still like that it may turn out to be that the single biggest issue to come out of the debate is a giant muppet. 

Looking forward to the rest of the debates, though. At this rate, Romney's going to be saying "I've always been in favor of marriage equality, you're the real bigot here" and "How can you claim to have sent in SEAL Team 6, that was me".

• a little muffled
    Eh, old people are old.
  • yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

It would honestly have been less ridiculous if the smear was "if she can't pick a non-shitty MMO, how can she pick the right future for our children?"

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-10-06 22:35:49

Eh.  The decent MMO's out there are basically WoW minus the bits that make it fun.

If she said she was playing, like, the shitty pay-to-win Facebook ones or something, fuck that noise.

If anything, I'm just interested to know if she's any good.  Rogues are a really make-or-break thing to have in a group and can range anywhere from worse than dead weight to one of the best dudes you can have behind you.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

From what I hear, RIFT is pretty great, and isn't much like WoW at all.

She's apparently Level 85.

Anyway, the one gripe I've always had with MMOs in general is the stupifyingly insane amounts of grinding. I understand it from a business perspective, but that does not even begin to migitate how annoying it is. 

• WoW hasn't been too bad about that since the first expansion came out.  Vanilla was really, really nasty about that though.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Characterizing all MMO's as requiring much grinding at all is kind of silly.

Aside from all the MMO's that don't even have grinding (Tribes: Ascend and the like), there are MMO's out there who take pains to avoid having you grind.

I don't necessarily mean strictly level grinding, but every one I have bothered to play (which admittedly is not an insane amount, but I'd say about a dozen) has required you to do either grinding or something that's just grinding disguised as something else.

I hope you do not mean just "Repeating the same content over and over", where the same content is randomly-generated levels with differing content each time, or something.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-10-06 22:49:28

What worries me more is the tendency for most of them anymore to be either Korean "endlessly grind one patch of monsters for hours" models, or Chinese/Zynga "pay more for basic functions than entire games cost elsewhere" ones.

That is getting kind of worrisome.

What annoys me about said Korean/Chinese ones is the way they offer a free service, then put things in the cash shops like 'Triple EXP Potions' and make those basically the only way to play at a reasonable rate.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Tribes: Ascend

Isn't an MMO, unless you think TF2 is an MMO too.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

My biggest problem with MMORPGs in particular is how slow they are to actually change things up. From the early 2000s to now (roughly the amount of time since the release of WoW), other genres have taken some pretty mighty steps in progression. Not so when it comes to the MMORPG.

• TF2 is very much an MMO.  Just not an RPG.

• edited 2012-10-06 22:54:29
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Yeah, it's kind of disturbing that some of the genres that are considered stagnant (shooters, for example) develop many times faster than MMOs do.

TF2 is very much an MMO

I'm not seeing the "massive."

Isn't an MMO, unless you think TF2 is an MMO too

I do.

Where an MMO is defined as, well, a massively multiplayer online game.

Both Tribes: Ascend and TF2 are both MMO's. MMOFPS, to be precise.