If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Fuck Firefox, Fuck YouTube, Fuck Google

edited 2012-10-03 02:39:59 in Webspace
No rainbow star

There. At LEAST one of them deserves it. I don't know which one though

Google+ was finally pissing me off enough that I unlinked the account and deleted it. When I did, ALL YouTube videos unless compatible with HTML5 (I watch a few videos that have ads so gragh) no longer worked. Sites like ArmorGames work, so it isn't the Flash

Either Firefox fucked something up (NONE of the recommended fixes work), YouTube fucked something up, Google fucked something up, or any combination of them did a team fuck up

>.< And unless you know of a plugin or whatever that makes tabs work EXACTLY like the tabs on Firefox (leaving enough tab visible to see a good chunk of the page title, can scroll left and right through it, can click an arrow at the end to reveal a drop down list of all the tabs) then do NOT recommend another Web Browser, because I would have jumped ship LONG ago if it wasn't for that (I have 90+ tabs open on a regular basis, hence why I like Firefox's way of handling tabs)

Comments

• Did you choose delete Google + content or full profile?

• No rainbow star

^ Google+ content

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
  • No rainbow star

^ The one that gives a drop down list is the closest I've seen so far

• Having lots of tabs open on a regular basis is exactly why I hate Firefox's way of handling tabs, actually.

• No rainbow star

Ok, so the problem wasn't ANY of the threes fault

AdBlock+ apparently went rouge on me and started hating everything (I started suspecting it when the javascript on Reddit started to fail)

Now to find out why AdBlock+ was freaking out...

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

This is why I segregate my Google accounts.  None of them are linked.  If I ever need to jettison one, I can just simply leave it hanging in the wind and be done with it.

> 90+ tabs

You're insane.

• No rainbow star

^ That's just one window, too

...I blame my ADHD

I guess my having ten tabs doesn't quite qualify for ADHD status.

Then again, I know someone who has set Opera to open with like 40 tabs by default.  Though it doesn't load them all.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Invalid blame, I am ADHD too. I barely go above 7 tabs. It is unrealistic and innefficient to have more than 20 tabs: Your brain will not remember each and every tab, nor the broad "types", you are just buffering for the sake of buffering.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I fucking love tabs, often having somewhere in the dozens open at any one time. Tabs are fantastic, and allow me to organise my browsing for peak excess. I don't even use all those tabs; most are just songs I like that I have up just in case and forget to listen to. 

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I usually have between 5-20 open. A nice, solid number. Some of those are music, various forums/social media, and whatever I happen to be doing at the time.

• You can change. You can.

I used to work with 25.

Then I started to reduce that number to 10-ish tops. Normally it's five, though.

• edited 2012-10-03 12:15:21

Chrome is horrible for many reasons but relevantly to this topic it has no good built-in way of managing tabs, unlike Firefox's Panorama and Opera's tab stacks.

There's no reason to have lots of tabs open at once anyway, though.  At least, not all the time.

• edited 2012-10-03 12:35:40
    Tableflipper

> 90+ tabs

You're insane.

Is this the effect of not being on TVT for long enough?

It is unrealistic and innefficient to have more than 20 tabs: Your brain will not remember each and every tab

Mine doesn't really seem to have a problem as long as I can see the first letter and the icon of the tab >_>

Unless you mean, "your brain will not remember even having that tab open" in which case I have a constant reminder for that anyway (the top of the screen)

I usually have around 40 to 60 tabs open. I open a new window when the tabs become too many to bother displaying their icons (this is on Chrome) and then repeat.

At some point I had 6.5/4(some decimal that indicates a not-full window but one that isn't so empty either) full windows of tabs, I believe.

I normally start closing the tabs and bookmarking stuff (which I do end up forgetting about, but hey, it's there) once I reach the "three full Chrome windows" status (by then my computer starts to lag too if enough of those tabs are video-tabs for some reason)

• edited 2012-10-03 13:15:31
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I find I rarely ever need more than about 7 tabs anyway.  I've got four open now and that's a pretty standard number.  I like closing things that have already been used rather than keeping them open and leaving a trail of unfinished business.

It helps that I also try to find sources other than Youtube for music.

Firefox is enough of a memory hog without my opening up stuff that isn't necessary to what I immediately want to do.

For what it's worth I use Tab Mix Plus and use a multi-row tab toolbar.

•  I like closing things that have already been used rather than keeping them open and leaving a trail of unfinished business.

The issue for me, then comes from how it hasn't been used anyway. >_>

And the reason why they are not being used, is because procrastination.

Even on teh internetz, I accumulate work. Welp.

• I felt some sort of inner calm after I stopped using dozens of tabs.

• No rainbow star
    ^ I get panicked when I am above 100

Still need to figure out which 40-50 of my ~110 current ones are the extra ones I forgot...
  • BeeBee
    edited 2012-10-03 15:43:37

Good lord, guys.  The last time I ever needed more than 10 tabs of anything open was at a job where I was bugfixing that many interrelated source files.  I can't even remember the last time I had more than 7 or so tabs on web browsing of all things.

Like, right now I've got three.  A Lets Play I've had open for the last week or so and have been steadily poking through when bored, a fanfiction I've had open for the last few days and have also been steadily poking through when bored, and this.  Throw in a couple spur of the moment ones for stuff that people link every once in a while, and that's all that's needed.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Seriously folks? 20+ tabs? After 8 or so I realize I'm not going back to certain pages and start closing them out. Generally unless a tab has a song, a page I want to keep refreshing every so often or something I'm updating once in a while I have no reason to keep a tab open.
  • I usually have 3-5, and up to 10 or so when browsing forums and the like.

As for firefox, I don't like it very much, but Leechblock is still better that any alternative anti-timewaster I've seen.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Internet Explorer gets much unfair hate.

Having tried all current mainstream browsers, I have to say that I honestly like IE9 the best.

• edited 2012-10-04 10:46:23
    a little muffled
    IE hate is mostly leftover from IE6. Or it's from web developers in which case it is certainly not unfair.

Aside from the standards compliance stuff more recent IEs aren't TOO bad.

I never thought IEs were that bad, nor that Firefoxes or Chromes or Operas were that good.

• You can change. You can.

We used to work with IE8 in the call center. Between the constant clugging, inconsistent responses and the general lag, I don't think I ever hated a browser as much as I did that. Or that I felt as good as when I came back home every night and used Chrome again.

• a little muffled
    @glennmagusharvey: So you don't find tabs, popup blocking, or support for add-ons useful?

Are we talking intrinsically or extended by add-ons?  Because I use Firefox in part because it has extensive add-on support.  Intrinsically, I don't see it as gloriously better than any other browser, though.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-10-04 17:12:30

Yeah, even if IE has gotten better about security (by default -- it was downright atrocious for a really long time), the addon support is still a dealbreaker.

• edited 2012-10-04 17:14:47
    No rainbow star
    ^^^^^^^^ You'd be amazed by all the stuff I don't want to lose yet will certainly forget about if I bookmark and close

...Although the fact that I have 9 tabs open in Safari on my iPhone and that's on the small end may say that I have hoarding issues or something...