If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Doctor Who as an 80s Anime

edited 2012-08-21 20:50:34 in IJAM

I think I just had a nerdgasm:

Comments

• a little muffled

Oh yeah, that thing. I watched the start of it before but I stopped because I felt I didn't really "get" it since I hadn't seen much of the classic series and none with the Third Doctor.

Since I've actually been watching some Third Doctor stuff lately, I should probably give this another shot.

• I haven't actually seen much of the Classic Series either, but seeing the Daleks and Cybermen animated like that was more than awesome enough for me already.

• edited 2012-08-21 21:50:41
    Okay first of all, it's a worthy fanwork. It's very nice stylistically and aesthetically, and rather fluid, all things considered.

But I think it's very confused as to what it's supposed to be. It seems to be a highlight preview of the next episode, but it goes on for twelve minutes, enough time to become a short film in its own right. But as a short film it has no narrative, and is basically just things happening. Why did the Master invite another of his incarnations? Why did they build Cybermen? Why are there Daleks in Tokyo? Why is the Master duelling with the Doctor with swords at the top Tokyo Tower? Why are there Americans and British forces in Japan?

I appreciate the technical work, and discarding what misgivings I have over tone and environment, I personally feel this is nothing more than self-indulgence, and for that I cannot give it praise.
  • No rainbow star

^ I see it as a preview of a whole season, sort of something one would show to a company to try to get green lit

• I don't really know Doctor Who, but I've always wanted to ask: I know sometimes they go back in time to like WWII or something, and you know how Daleks are all trigger happy, right? That includes time travel segments, so they kill a lot of people in the past. Do they ever show the ramifications of that, or the easy slaughter of people in general?

• Kraken: The Third Doctor and the Master have dueled with swords in a fairly memorable episode, so there is precedent for it. 

Ninjaclown: Rarely. Most Dalek stories set in the past don't feature much of a kill count for that exact reason.

• Oh no, I'm not talking about precedence. I'm totally fine with duelling with blades at the top of a high place. That's freaking awesome.

I'm talking about a narrative reason in the short.