If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Rapidshare

edited 2012-08-20 18:38:35 in Webspace
a little muffled

Why must it  suck so much?

And why must it be the only place I can find old Doctor Who episodes?

Comments

• Does Canada not have Netflix yet?

Either way, Rapidshare's bad but it's practically cake in comparison to -shudders- Extabit.

Hell, even saying that wretched hive's name gives me shudders.
  • edited 2012-08-20 19:02:39
    a little muffled

> netflix
    > paying money for things

We do have it but I hear the selection is much worse than the American version.

Edit: Also the internet connection at my dad's house is godawful so streaming is pretty much out of the question.

• TreTre
    edited 2012-08-20 19:02:52
    Ouch.

Goddamn you bad licensing fees. Do it to 'em every time.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Anyone know whether Rapidshare requires making an account to use?

What about MediaFire?

• a little muffled

Rapidshare does not. I forget if MediaFire does or not.

Interesting note: MediaFire is about a thousand times better than Rapidshare, and it still sucks.

• TreTre
    edited 2012-08-20 19:11:06
    MediaFire is probably my favorite of them, which admittedly isn't a high bar to clear. Up until Google murdered its search results it was great for finding music.

And no, MF doesn't need an account to use it.
  • edited 2012-08-20 19:15:45

Mediafire doesn't require an account to download files (unless you want to download an entire folder at once), though you do need an account to upload largish files and for certain other features.  A paid account is needed for uploading any actually large files.

And mediafire is one of the better file hosting sites since it doesn't have captchas (usually) or wait times to download, and supports multiple simultaneous downloads, doesn't artificially cap speed, etc.

Peejeshare is also pretty decent, for similar reasons.  Actually, it's probably better since it supports larger files and doesn't seem to be as quick to take down copyrighted material.

• You can change. You can.

I never found MF to suck. It's pretty my go-to service for sharing shit and it works pretty well.

• I like Rapidshare for downloading files. It's really fast, it's easy to navigate and there's no stupid countdowns or captchas. 

I thought Rapidshare DOES have a countdown; it's MediaFire that doesn't.

Rapidshare used to have a countdown but now it doesn't.

• I think if you try to download too many files one after another, the countdown comes back.

• a little muffled

I like Rapidshare for downloading files. It's really fast, it's easy to navigate and there's no stupid countdowns or captchas.
    However, it does not allow you to download multiple files at once (why the uploader couldn't have put each serial into a zip or something instead of making me download the episodes one at a time I don't know) and it doesn't allow you to resume downloading if you accidentally stop it. And it's not "really fast" on my connection, which makes the latter more of an issue. I was at 80% of part 3 when I unthinkingly closed my laptop...

• Well, putting video files in a zip actually makes them bigger.

• Only by a negligible amount.

That said, I don't know why you would ever suggest that someone upload a several-gigabyte file to a website that doesn't even allow resuming downloads.

No, zipping video files results in a barely-smaller file; 7-z'ing video files results in a slightly larger file.

• edited 2012-08-22 02:04:41

Realistically though, if you're creating an archive in any format for videos, you won't use any compression because it's much quicker to create the archive and to extract files from it if it's uncompressed and any reduction in filesize from compression would be too small to matter anyway (since videos are already compressed).

• Yes running a single video file through 7z or zip will create a larger file. Running multiple videos through either 7z or zip can create an archive who's size is smaller than the combined size of the videos uncompressed, depending on various factors. 

• I suppose it depends what you're using it for, really. I only ever direct download new comics, so I only ever need one at a time and I can usually get them in 30 seconds. 

I only ever direct download new comics, so I only ever need one at a time and I can usually get them in 30 seconds.

Yup. Pretty much.

• edited 2012-08-22 11:16:45
    a little muffled

@DYRE:

That said, I don't know why you would ever suggest that someone upload a several-gigabyte file to a website that doesn't even allow resuming downloads.
    If the size of the zip were the size of the combined episodes it'd be <2 gigs for the four-part serials. This isn't high-def or something; we are talking VHS rips here (and they still take like four hours on my dad's connection).

And the point is, if it were all in one file I could leave it going overnight and possibly have it done by morning.