If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

This Animation about a dragon and his son

edited 2012-07-17 01:12:04 in IJAM
No rainbow star

D'aww

...Also wondering if we should have a Video Thread...

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Everything was in the name. :|

• edited 2012-07-17 01:40:55
    No rainbow star
    ^ Really?

...What does the title translate to, then?
  • No rainbow star
    I broke down and used Google Translate

Erm...

Alex, retroactively forget this animation
  • edited 2012-07-17 01:57:23
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

"Knight blow" or "knight strike". You could translate it as "knight striker", if you liked, since the word doesn't contain any technical context concerning ownership. That is, it doesn't tell us whether a knight is doing the striking or being struck. Usually, attaching a verb to the end of a noun like this ("ritter" is knight, "schlag" is blow or strike) implies that the noun acts as an adjective, describing a property and therefore implying ownership. That's not written in stone, though, ergo examples like this. 

(German is kind of awesome for smooshing words together.)

Mind you, mein Deutsch ist einfach at best, so no doubt someone who speaks it fluently will correct me if I'm incorrect. Due to my study of the historical combat manuals, sometimes I get High Middle German mixed up with modern German. While a lot of the language is the same, some of the grammar has changed (not so many words, though). That said, by my reckoning, High Middle German is more like modern German than Middle English is like modern English. 

holy fuck did i just derail dragons into linguistics 

ninja'd

• No rainbow star
    ^ Yes. Yes you did

At least you didn't derail it into how the dragons would be easily killed with the right sword and style
  • edited 2012-07-17 02:12:35
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I'm not sure how much sword styles help against dragons. I mean, you'd need a magic sword, and if it's really magic, you might not have to know all that much about swords.

On that note, you'd probably want a tapered sword to get between the scales. Good luck getting that close; you'd need a game plan. I recall a story about a hero who hung pig carcasses in front of a dragon's den to both distract it and mask their own scent, allowing them to achieve a sneak attack. That's probably as good a plan than any.

• I dunno if I've said before; but me and dragons go together like Alex and swords. And I'll thank you all to stop debating about the best way to slaughter such majestic creatures.

(Yes, I refuse to play Skyrim for that reason)

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

I wonder what that maiden is getting out of this deal...

• edited 2012-07-17 12:02:42
    No rainbow star
    ^ Well, people have noted that the young dragon seems to have some whispy, red hair, not unlike that of the maidens...

I'm sorry I asked.

• No rainbow star
    ^ Safer to assume the maiden is a shapeshifting dragon. Makes it a lot better than the alternative

And I'll thank you all to stop debating about the best way to slaughter such majestic creatures.

It's them or us! Them or us! 

All I need is the location of its den, five pig carcasses and a ballista. 

And some assistants with water buckets, just in case. 

• I'm a damn twisted person
    Two ballistas in case the first one doesn't finish it off.

Better make it a whole battery. 

A good kingdom spares no expense, right? 

Well, we've already expended all the knights of House Cannon Fodder, so why not?

• I'm a damn twisted person
    What about the plan of poisoning the livestock the dragon would be eating with a slow acting poison that builds up in doses. That way after the dragon has eaten a farm or so of food, it is weakened from the poison and easier to kill in a fight.

Well, we've already expended all the knights of House Cannon Fodder, so why not?

Brave and honourable men to the last. /singletear

What about the plan of poisoning the livestock the dragon would be eating with a slow acting poison that builds up in doses.

No good; we could risk it building up an immunity, pretty much just wasting decent cows in the process. And while it's possible that the dragon may become sick, a fight with a sick dragon is still a fight with a dragon. All this assuming that dragon isn't just immune. It'd be a better idea to send out drunk cows in hopes of intoxicating the dragon with second-hand mead. 

Presumably, the dragon would not drink-and-fly. Or, if it did, our problem would soon be solved. 

Actually, there's one knight left. Why don't we dunk him in ale and let him do what his House does best?

• No rainbow star
    Maybe just leave them alone? Just a thought