If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The race card.

13»

Comments

• >expects collection of screencaps of sexism masking as feminism à la the "transphobic cunt" comment quoted earlier in this thread

>instead finds unfunny caricatures that sometimes not even have a tangential link to some of the more silly aspects of radical feminism

Unless you meant to cite only the top post(which makes a good point, though an apology is still the sensitive thing to do in this situation), it is a tad disappointing.

• It's an affectionate parody, except the top post. That's not affectionate at all.

• This happened back in 2008, but still... Really, bitch? -_-

• edited 2012-07-14 14:43:04

"I think people should always be careful. You know, I'm okay if I'm 'bartering' with you. ... But if I try to 'Jew you down,' Oooooh. Is that racist? I thought it meant the same thing? No, maybe it doesn't."

There is absolutely no universe in which saying "black hole" is comparable to saying "Jew you down"...
  • @Xaviar: ...nah, I'm gonna have to go with Stewart Lee on this.

Also: really, "bitch"?

• I see racism as a serious issue but the amount of people who use it as an excuse to demonize others for merely existing has astounded me over the last few weeks.

People who try to attribute worth based on a person's skin color are always revealing some sort of personal ignorance on their behalf.

But just to let you know, that kind of behavior isn't recent. It's been going on for a long time.

• edited 2012-07-14 17:01:57

^^I just find it frustrating that he actually believed the term had anything at all to do with race.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

>"I think people should always be careful. You know, I'm okay if I'm 'bartering' with you. ... But if I try to 'Jew you down,' Oooooh. Is that racist? I thought it meant the same thing? No, maybe it doesn't.

...the complete lack of knowledge concerning etymology, history, and basic communication...

• Yeah, black hole is relatively harmless by comparison. You must be very dense if that term offends you.

• You can change. You can.

...well played, mister stormtroper.

• Well hey, there are ways to get to the saying of "black hole" in which it would be a racist dog whistle. Not saying that this was one of them, but have a little sympathy for the guy who misinterpreted it.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

black hole?

Like?

What happens when a star collapses in on itself?

I have totally lost the capacity to take this topic at all seriously.  

• I can't think of any context in which the term would sound racist... Mostly because I assumed everyone had at least a rudimentary inkling of what a black hole was. Plus the article kind of made it sound like he still felt the term was racist even after the guy who said it explained himself. But maybe I misinterpreted or something.

• You can change. You can.

Well, you can call a place full of POCs a "Black Hole" for example. That would be pretty racist. It's just that there's no way you can misinterpret it in that context.

You could, but why would you? For that matter, why would anyone?

• I've never heard "black hole" used in any way other than to refer to a literal or figurative void. I mean I guess you could use it that way but it sounds incredibly bizarre.

• Be glad you guys aren't good at this. Of the top of my hat I can think of puns about sucking in welfare money, a remark about the intelligence of a POC using 'dense' as a punchline and a remark about increased gravity due to the stereotype of large buttocks.

However, as Juan said, these lame puns would be all so obviously racist due to the formulation that no confusion could exist about it whatsoever.

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

Well there's "Redefining the meaning of black holes" from Earl, but that's a double-entendre from a black dude anyway

^^At that point, it's a racist joke though, not a racist word.

• I think I could make the pun about welfare money subtle enough it would count as a dog whistle and not outright racism.