If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Bookclub

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Finished Well of Ascension.

Spoiler:
    Well, I suppose given that we were two thirds of the way through a trilogy, that couldn't have gone well. Though the way it went wrong wasn't quite what I expected, so props there.

Well, guess I'm going to have to buy Hero of Ages now.

• a little muffled

I actually found WoA's twist kinda predictable. Though it was still cool when it happened.

It was predictable once the last-75-pages-of-a-Sanderson-book twists started flying around.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Fuck yeah, Ruin.

I meant to make a post about it yesterday, but I was on a plane so I forgot. Finished The Great Hunt.

The chapter where Rand sees all the lives he could have lived is still one of my favorite parts in the whole series. Especially the line where the Two Rivers are matching to war, and people were joking about feeling like they'd done this before.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

In a panel at Swancon, Sanderson warned fans against the danger of ‘putting down’ popular works. ‘I would hate to see our genre become snobbish, like the “literary” scene. When I was doing my Advanced Degree in English, I was shocked by the literary snobbery I encountered. There has always been room for every taste within the spec-fic world, but now even some SF authors try to tell people that what they write isn’t really speculative fiction, in an effort to distance themselves from popular books such as Eragon and Twilight. Don’t let that kind of divisiveness happen here or we’ll end up like the literary people, divided by snobbery.’

The more I read about Sanderson, the more I come to like him.

So, last night I dreamed I was a mistborn jumping around over Luthadel doing mistborn stuff, when I realized my shoe had fallen off while I was flying over rooftops and I couldn't find it.

And then today, The Hero of Ages arrived a day early.

Coincidence?

• a little muffled
    Clearly the answer is shoes made of metal.

That would really suck in a fight. Your opponent could just casually trip you.

• a little muffled

During a fight you take them off and use them as weapon.

Uh...hopefully there's nothing sharp on the ground.

• You can change. You can.

"Shoot the glass", indeed.

• a little muffled
    Finished Changes.

Wow.

Yup.

I guess you're going to go read the next book, then?

• a little muffled
    Well, I'm going to go order it from the library, at least.

Probably still read The Purifying Fire while I wait.
  • JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

Reading Joan Aiken's The Stolen Lake.

This is the weirdest kid's book ever, for serious.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

So I actually started reading again. I've finished Jane Eyre, By The Pricking of My Thumbs (Agatha Christie) and The Casual Vacancy (J.K.Rowling).

Jane Eyre is either the source of every cliche of both romance and orphaned kid plotline, or too cliche for a thing written at the beginning of the entire romance genre. The prose was great in some parts and then switched to being almost unreadably old throughout Jane's entire school life. I don't really remember much about it despite having finished it only a week ago.

By The Pricking of My Thumbs is good. It's the last in the Tommy and Tuppence series, unless I'm missing something. I like how Tuppence's amnesia after Mrs. Bligh conks her over the head isn't dragged out like it usually is with that sort of plot. I liked most of the characters but hated the final revelation, because it seemed kind of lazy and chosen just because it was shocking. Other than the ending, it was a good book, though the back cover blurb could have been less misleading (4/22 chapters take place in the nursing home and their all in the beginning, there isn't even any claim of black magic anywhere).

The Casual Vacancy is terrible. It was like reading Kill Your Friends by John Niven again, but with less drugs and murder. It's not 'mature' to create characters who are all absolutely unlikable just cause. The plot was boring, everybody hates each other and it's basically like JKR took a list of things she did with Harry Potter (Which I don't think is that great either) and did the opposite. There are 500+ pages of descriptions that just drag on and on. Maybe it's because I don't like Grim Dark fiction and I'm biased, but I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

The Casual Vacancy is like a lot of British novels. It's about terrible people being terrible to each other and suffering because they're all terrible people.

I don't particularly like it either, but the point of the book is that they're all terrible people and they all fucking suck.

Even so, I liked what I read of Krystal. She's foul-mouthed and sexual in all the wrong ways, but I sympathized with her.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

You're right, Kill Your Friends is also British.

Then again, the 'I'm a Brainless Shopaholic and yet they let me be a Mother' series is also British.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

^^ I like when a terrible person is so well-written that you end up rooting for them, and despite my issues with her prose style, Rowling tends to be very good at rounding out characters.

Maybe I'll read it at some point.

I like when a terrible person is so well-written that you end up rooting for them, and despite my issues with her prose style, Rowling tends to be very good at rounding out characters.

It's not so much that she was well-written, it's that...

Well, to go into spoiler territory a bit, her mother was not the best of people, and she ended up seeing the results of that- including one dead guy when she was like, six. Then she was sent to live with someone I assume was her grandmother, who was described as "Equal parts saviour and terror".

But the guy whose death kickstarted the plot- he was someone who honestly paid attention to Krystal, and seemed to genuinely like her. There's not a lot of people who didn't treat Krystal as a sex object or just a nuisance, so she's hit quite hard by his death- which sucks, because one of the teachers takes out his temper on her when someone laughs at the news.

I just found myself feeling sympathetic towards her, even though she is a pretty terrible person.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

Huh. Well, that makes things a bit less interesting...

I suggest that you give it a shot, renting it from a library if you don't feel like spending money on it.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

I wouldn't be able to buy it in the first place, so the library it is.

Assuming, of course, that my fines have not mounted to Donald Trump levels... eh.

(Sad. I used to buy two books at a go every three weeks or so. I own more books than many people will ever read in their lives. And yet still, there is a hole in my heart, wanting more. I am such a pathetic human being.)

• They're somethin' else.

Man, I haven't read like, actual fiction/ literature in a long time. The most recent thing i've read is a Chuck Palahniuk book, whom I've pretty much outgrown, anyway (except Rant and Pygmy. Those books are awesome).

Anything you guys suggest that'll get me back into literature?

• Has friends besides tanks now

I feel like you'd like Snow Crash. Unless you've read it already?

• They're somethin' else.

Hm... *looks up*

Oooooh :D

I feel like I should visit my local library again.

• edited 2012-10-21 18:25:22
    a little muffled

Blech, so I ordered both Side Jobs and Ghost Story from my local library, only to discover that it's closing for three weeks of renovation starting tomorrow.

I guess I'll have to find another library, which means that it's going to be even longer before I get the books.

I just realized that I never finished Side Jobs. I should do that.
  • edited 2012-10-23 23:20:10
    Has friends besides tanks now

Finally finished Crime and Punishment. Such a good book.

Hopefully, tomorrow, I can find the time to read more of The Way of Kings. I haven't actually read it in a while.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Done discussing Mistborn? 'cause I'd drop in a summary of the novel I mentioned I've been reading. Wonder what you'll think of the premise.