If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Bookclub

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Elantris spoilers:

Spoiler:
    In soviet Elantris, water drinks YOU!
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I've never read Elantris.

Look, I just spent nearly a hundred dollars buying Mistborn, enough money already >:[

I need to finish Mistborn. And read Warbreaker.
  • a little muffled

I will read these books someday.

Well, The Alloy of Law is at the top of my read-list after I'm done with Changes and The Purifying Fire. Then maybe I'll get to Elantris and Warbreaker.

The Way of Kings will happen eventually, but I dunno when because long books are intimidating lol.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

You should move The Way of Kings to first. :|

You could always buy the version of the book that's split into two. Then it's two regular sized books instead of one giant one.

WoK goes by faster than you'd think. I read it in I think three days.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I read it in a week, but I read something like 57% of it today.

I remember it took me about a month to read half of it, but as soon as I got to Kaladin in the highstorm, I read the rest in about four hours.

I basically read 400 pages on one day, but stayed up so late that I couldn't focus enough to read more than 50 pages the next day, then the day after that I finished it.

• a little muffled

You're assuming my problem with long books is based in logic at all.

When I started reading it, I just couldn't tell what was going on at first, and then I was too unfocused to pay attention, so I was basically picking it up every day, reading a page or two, then putting it back down because I didn't understand what was happening.

Then I got up to the highstorm, and it was cool, so I sat myself down and read the rest of it proper. Then, once I had an idea of what was actually going on, I sat back down and reread it twice the next day, so now I have it like, memorized.

You're assuming my problem with long books is based in logic at all.

As I said, get the two shorter books.

• a little muffled

That's not really any different though. It's not the physical size that I have a problem with, it's the commitment.

But you can just split your time around with it.

Or... no, whatever, okay. Have fun with that.

• a little muffled

But you can just split your time around with it.
    I don't know what this sentence means.

It means you don't have to sit there and read all of it in a day, or even a week.

Not that much actually goes on in the book that requires you to pay a lot of attention. It's the other stuff, the worldbuilding and the hints about other characters, that requires us to pay close attention.

It requires like, no investment to just read the story plain, except for the time.

• a little muffled

It means you don't have to sit there and read all of it in a day, or even a week.
    Well, if I get it from the library I have at most five weeks, though it's hard to imagine it actually taking that long if I get into it.

I can't honestly explain why long books turn me off. All I know is that I bought Cryptonomicon well over a year ago, and I've contemplated starting it many times and each time I just decide to read something shorter. It's not sane, or rational, but it's there. I will read TWoK, and Cryptonomicon, eventually. But...I dunno when.

I've been fifty pages into Cryptonomicon for a month or so :/

I... can't really relate to that, sorry.

I've been reading long, long books since I was eight. I believe I first read one of the Wheel of Time books when I was ten, and even though I didn't get a lot of it, I was done in under a day.

Nowadays, 700+ pages looks normal to me and I can finish two or three a day, and smaller books make me step back and go "Huh, this book is tiny."

tl;dr Carrying books around to read is almost a form of exercise for me :|

• Meanwhile, it's taken me like 3+ years and I still haven't finished one 200 page book... >.>

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

Started my reread of The Eye of the World.

Dat prologue.

'twas a thing

Wheel of Time reread, Day 1

days remaining: 99

chapters read: 15

total progress: 2.39% complete

reread status: pleasantly ahead of schedule

I'm already up to Lord of Chaos. :P

yeah well not all of us can read three thousand pages a day nova

yeah well maybe you should learn how to forzare

• edited 2012-09-30 22:46:12
    Has friends besides tanks now

I'm almost at the end of Crime and Punishment, at this point, and I'm wondering: is this a shoddy translation, or was it very close to Dostoevsky's original writing style? Because, while I'm quite liking it, some things about the writing just bug me.

Yeah, I like it enough that I'd probably be willing to drop some money on a different edition. If I'm going to be a good English major, comparing the language of translations is probably as good a pastime as any.

Forzare: That sounds plausible, but far from certain. It has a very shaky base, relying on a lot of "He would's" and "He might's" and "This thing might do X's".

Yeah, but considering the staggering lack of actual concrete information we have, it's the best theory I've heard since Taimandred got shot down.