If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I just watched South Park for the first time

edited 2012-06-16 22:07:46 in Media
I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

It's amusingly mediocre. Apparently the takeaway lesson from this episode is "correlation ≠ causation" and when I saw it I was like "Yeah."

I also just saw an HTC Evo commercial using Snoop Dogg's "Nuthin' But a G-Thang" and a commerical for That's My Boy in which the indication I got was that the only place they could get positive reviews of it was from random Twitter comments. 

Comments

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

"Women are so caught up in the singing and dancing that they don't even notice the subliminal messages about blowjobs"  

Haha yes, make the vegan a whiny brat afraid of swimming. Stereotype all vegans as crazy conspiracy theorists who know nothing about science, yessssss

And they literally just had the main character's sister say "You should let your child make his own decisions instead of telling him to become a vegan" and "Maybe if he had a steak once in a while, he wouldn't get beat up at school so much"

And cats isn't even on Broadway anymore, what the fuck

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

Though I at least appreciate that Andrew Lloyd Webber is portrayed as a greasy stupid fuckwad

And Elton John is... straight?

• "Haha yes, make the vegan a whiny brat afraid of swimming. Stereotype all vegans as crazy conspiracy theorists who know nothing about science, yessssss"

This coming from a show that ran several episodes dedicated to ad hominem global warming denial.

So how obnoxiously libertarian is it? 

You know, this vegan kid is pretty fat for someone who apparently eats nothing except fruits and vegetables.

And why the hell is the mom of the main character so much less detailed than the vegan mom?

This "brodown" thing is really fucking stupid. And they stopped portraying Andrew Lloyd Webber as a greasy stupid fuckwad 

Oh, and now there's implied underage sex. Man, I sure do love South Park. 

So uh, that's my South Park liveblog I guess???

So how obnoxiously libertarian is it?

The takeaway messages are literally "Vegans are stupid pussy baby liberal fags" and "Broadway musicals get guys great sex" so on the Libertarian Scale it's just 2.3 Breitbarts away from a full Fountainhead.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I'm not a huge fan of the show, but it's worth noting that South Park doesn't portray anyone in a positive light. It doesn't really have a coherent ideology other than "making fun of people."

Oh, was this the show that compared transgendered people to people who think they're dolphins? And the one that compared oppression of minorities to "oppression" of smokers? I think now I know why I never watched this show until tonight

And holy christ, that's amazing, the mother just said "It's okay if musicals brainwash me into giving blowjobs against my will because it makes stronger couples" which dovetails quite nicely with the "Vegans should die" message provided by the B-plot, what is wrong with this show

• edited 2012-06-16 22:43:16
    Has friends besides tanks now

oh, hey, that's the episode I'm watching right now

I only just got back from delivering hot chocolate to some people at a relay, so I started at the part where Randy talks about how musicals are there to get guys blowjobs. As such, what I ended up actually taking from it is that I was surprised at how much the Wicked parody's music actually sounded like the stuff from the musical. Or as much as you could hope for from South Park. Randy as Spider-Man was kind of amusing, too. Where's all this stuff about vegans?

But South Park is very hit or miss, at least for me, and the moralizing after every episode is always very annoying.

what is wrong with this show

That's South Park, man. This is also the show where the dad's testicles swell to inhuman proportions after he microwaves them, just throwing that out there.

EDIT: Another episode. Terrance and Phillip are the worst consistent element of the show, easily.

And now Randy is masturbating to Food Network. SOUTH PARK!

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

>But South Park is very hit or miss, at least for me, and the moralizing after every episode is always very annoying.

Pretty much my thoughts. It has moments of cleverness but overall it's pretty eh.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

But South Park is very hit or miss, at least for me, and the moralizing after every episode is always very annoying.

Yeah, I'm in agreement there.

• edited 2012-06-16 22:46:12
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^^^It's also the show with the most explicit rape scene I've ever seen on network television.

^Yep.

• edited 2012-06-16 22:46:44

ahahahaha Food Network hotline what the flying fuck is this show even trying to say

^ Wait, what?

• edited 2012-06-16 22:50:46
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

They did a parody/reference/reenactment/whatever of the hillbilly rape in Deliverance with George Lucas and Stephen Spielberg on Indiana Jones after Kingdom of the Crystal Skull came out.  And a couple other times in the same episode.

I assume that's what Crimson's talking about.

• edited 2012-06-16 22:51:04
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^^They took the "Indiana Jones 4 raped my childhood" metaphor to it's logical conclusion by having George Lucas and Steven Spielberg LITERALLY rape Indiana Jones in a bar.

That was probably the biggest "HOW THE FUCK DID THEY GET AWAY WITH THAT?!" moment in the entire show.

EDIT: Ninja'd

• edited 2012-06-16 22:53:25

Oh, yeah, that. There's also the episode where some handicapped kid gets sodomized by a shark. Crimson's comment reminded me of the scene that was apparently in Family Guy where Quagmire rapes Marge Simpson, though, was why I was confused.

Bleh. I guess it shouldn't surprise me that either show would resort to sexual assault as humor, but . . . bleh. Then again, I doubt either scene would faze me after The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

And of course, neither of those episodes is the one that resulted in terrorist threats that forced Comedy Central to take down said episode.

^Wait wait, was it a rape? From what I remember it was consensual...

of course after that Quagmire murders Homer so...

and he's been shown to have raped and enslaved women before so...

man that show is fucked up.

• Has friends besides tanks now

I didn't see the episode myself (because lol who actually watches family guy anymore), but that's what I heard. Either way, Groening wasn't happy about it.

I don't remember . . . actually, I think I might have stumbled upon an episode where Quagmire has some woman enslaved before, but the worst thing I actually remember is him watching Lois in a bathroom stall.

It's pretty fucked up, though, I agree. Technically not as vulgar as South Park, but I could argue that it's more reprehensible.

Yes, Quagmire does rape Marge in that episode. What's funny disgusting is that before said episode, McFarlane and Groening were good friends and The Simpsons made nothing but a few light-hearted jabs at Family Guy, to which McFarlane responded with Quagmire literally raping and killing the Simpsons... in a fake pop-up advertisement.

They took the "Indiana Jones 4 raped my childhood" metaphor to it's logical conclusion by having George Lucas and Steven Spielberg LITERALLY rape Indiana Jones in a bar.

This is one of the reasons I hate nerds. "They raped my childhood!" is an incredibly demeaning put-down to anybody who's actually, y'know, been raped. 

• I'm a damn twisted person
    INUH - which is one of the reasons I can't stand the show. It just rings hollow every time because there is no real core to it. The other reason is that the humor tries way to hard.

^^Yes, because only nerds say things like that.

Yeah, kinda.

Depends on how you define nerds really. The word has become so broad you could argue anybody with a passionate interest in a trivial thing is a nerd. Like sports fans or cake fans
  • edited 2012-06-16 23:38:09
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

The fact is that terms that marginalize rape are all over the place. One senator compared raising taxes to rape. Saying it only exists in nerd culture is at best being incredibly out of touch with the world and at worst stupid vindictiveness. 

• edited 2012-06-16 23:35:48

South Park is so extreme and with poor taste because it doesn't stand for anything. By choosing to take no sides, they go against every side, making demons and enemies of everything and everyone. 

The voice that chooses to speak for all reason sometimes becomes the maddest of them all.

But I did like that one episode about Cartman freezing himself so he could get a Nintendo Wii and inadvertently ended up in the future with three warring factions of atheists. 

• ^ In theory. In practice, it all comes from a pretty libertarian point of view, and that very particular rich entertainment producer variety of libertarian at that (see Penn and Teller).

Yeah, I don't buy the whole 'they attack both sides' thing because it's really just attacking people they disagree with.

But they never say what people SHOULD do. All they do is reject and dismiss.
  • No rainbow star
    I only watched South Park for the scenes where Kenny died
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    I only watched South Park for the scenes where Kenny died

That's pretty incidental and more of something about the first few seasons.

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Park_Republican

'South Park republican' is a thing. That said, if you would compare the overall morals of South Park, they'd probably be wildly inconsistent with each other anyway. Chances are if you're seething in rage, they're probably trying to provoke you into given them the response they wanted.