If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Mimosas

edited 2012-06-15 12:57:07 in Meatspace
OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
I hate them so much. Kudzu I'm okay with because it at least looks nice and controls erosion, but mimosas just suck.

-has spent all morning pulling weeds, mostly mimosas-

Comments

• You can change. You can.

why would you name your plans, "cuddly"

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Seriously? That's what it means? I mean, I guess the leaves and flowers are kinda soft, but it's a massive tree that never stops spreading.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

I hate them so much. 

:'(

So I see this thread's title, and I think, wow, not Goons, not Tropes, not pedo shit, no politics, only something as innocent and simple as flowers, and I feel so elated immediately, and I click on the thread and I see this. Why?

I'm referring to the tree, not the flower, and where I live, they're a horrible invasive species that kills everything else.

• a little muffled

@INUH:

Seriously? That's what it means? I mean, I guess the leaves and flowers are kinda soft, but it's a massive tree that never stops spreading.
    Wikipedia says it comes from Greek and means "mimic".

• edited 2012-06-15 16:37:14
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

You're from Alabama or Georgia, right?

Don't you have them, as well as kudzu, as well as fire ants, as well as birthers?

Y'all have a fuckton of invasive species problems.

• I thought this was going to be about the drink. Maybe you're supposed to have mimosas to relax after weeding mimosas. That's logical.

• edited 2012-06-15 16:40:03

^^^That would make more sense.

^^Yeah, Alabama is kinda crazy. It comes from being really warm, wet and fertile. On the plus side, you can grow food in your backyard in surprising quantity.

• One of the greatest (and by that I mean terrible) comments I've ever seen on Marble Hornets was on the TVT thread on it in New Media, where someone who clearly knew nothing about the south mistook kudzu covering the edge of a forest (which the protagonist crawls through a gap in, into said forest) for a solid hillside. They were baffled as to what was up with Jay crawling into a hole in a hill and suddenly being in a forest. I could not stop laughing. Alabama really is crazy indeed.

I actually know nothing about mimosas, and I thought I was pretty well-versed in annoying plants. Let's see...wow, Wikipedia has enough to say that I'm honestly not sure what you're dealing with here. Best of luck in future weeding endeavors.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Oh yeah, Marble Hornets is a thing that exists.

Haven't watched that in months.
  • edited 2012-06-16 19:05:14

They were baffled as to what was up with Jay crawling into a hole in a hill and suddenly being in a forest

Sounds about right.

Wikipedia has enough to say that I'm honestly not sure what you're dealing with here

The problem with Wikipedia is that the term technically refers to the entire genus. I think the one I'm dealing with is Mimosa Pigra or Mimosa Pudica, probably the former, given that the latter supposedly doesn't grow in Alabama.

Anyway, I've taken care of most of the larger ones in my yard, but since the neighborhood still hasn't had the two giant ones cut down like they said they would, every day I go outside and there are a dozen or so that have sprung up.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Every day?

Yes.

Just little sprouts though; I can pull them out with my fingers.

• Oh yeah, Marble Hornets is a thing that exists.

Haven't watched that in months.

I almost lost track of it as I drifted away from TVT over the course of this year so far, but I can't resist. I want to see how it all ends, at the very least.

Ok, looked at Mimosa Pigra page. We don't have those up north as far as I can tell. We have like a dozen other invasives that are really terrible. But not that or kudzu.

Fun fact: In my postapocalyptic universe I was working on (not heavily irradiated, very agricultural), I thought up a villain fairly early on that screwed with people's agriculture by seeding their fields with invasive plants. I am now convinced more than every that this is a somewhat viable tactic. I never finished that particular story, though.

Probably more work than any single terrorist group would be willing to put into planning an attack, though.

It totally would be viable. I actually heard something about a military base that is so overrun by kudzu that just to keep it at bay they have to flamethrower it daily.

• That sounds like an interesting idea for a story, though I think anyone willing to screw with their enemy's ecosystem like that would be the type to go the opposite direction and salt the earth.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Salting the earth only works if your enemy doesn't have a supply line. Once kudzu is established, that's constant effort to keep it off your stuff.

• edited 2012-06-16 22:12:16

Anyway, at my other house in the Sand Mountain area (North Alabama), we mostly get Chinese Privet. It's not as fast-spreading as Mimosa or Kudzu, but it's really damn hard to kill.

• edited 2012-06-16 22:41:14
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I wonder if kudzu has gotten as far north as New York City.

I remember seeing trees and other foliage completely covered in green leaves along I-95 just northeast of the city.  Or maybe those are native plants?

It shouldn't be able to survive that far north. What did the leaves look like?

I didn't get an up-close look; I don't know what kudzu leaves look like anyway.  Though I ought to find out...

Anyway, if anyone ever says that environmental issues are for hippies, tell them no, not when the U.S. armed forces have to deal with invasive plants taking over training grounds and account for global warming when using heat-seeking missiles.

Looks like a pretty generic leaf shape, but I'll keep it in mind. Thanks.

...wait, isn't kudzu edible?

/me checks Wikipedia

It seems to be.  I should ask my mom about it.

Ooh...

strides have been made in using it for vehicle fuel as ethanol.

:D

D:

I've heard about that.

We could import a whole bunch of rural Chinese people to the southern U.S., since they would know how to use the damn thing for food.

• Glenn: What you saw, which I've almost certainly seen too at some point, was probably wild grape. It's everywhere in the northeast and kind of almost resembles kudzu. I think this is what I'm thinking of. Even if the picture isn't a good example, read the description: It says it's everywhere!

• edited 2012-06-17 02:17:50
    No rainbow star
    Evergreen: Wait, that hill was Kudzu!? I thought the forest appearing was a Slendy Warp, like how the guy appeared in the basement of a building and saw his future self that one time

Kudzu does that. For example, this:

There isn't a hill in this picture. That's just trees with a plant carpet thrown over them.