If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• On my way back from my first day of work. Also my fifth-from-last day of work.

But as Cloverleaf notes, enough about work, it's time for Kids And Fun
  • We have reviewed your resume' and we find you delicious.
    Opened the door to the basement.

Centipus was right there, on the wall in front of me, staring.

he's beginning his invasion of the surface world
  • edited 2012-05-09 20:48:53
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Was I the only guy who watched almost all of the movies more than three times before avengers?

I might have watched and rewatched these recent superhero films if:

1. I were a fan who liked the series enough, and...

2. I had access to the video file of the movie, in a format that I can easily access on my hard drive and seek to any point of interest.

That second bit is actually quite significant.  I like having data files more than DVDs--DVDs (or VCDs or blu-ray discs or any other physical media) depend on my popping a disc into a drive--and I've had at least one (recent) computer that didn't have an optical disc drive.  Not to mention that even if I do, I still have to deal with things like (1) the drive running into technical trouble (which has happened with TWO optical drives I've had), (2) having unskippable things like copyright notices and trailers, and (3) long wait times when jumping to different sections.  Having the movie as a plain .AVI file on my hard drive would be far, far more convenient.

And considering that my internet access is spotty and inconsistent, streaming video isn't my ideal option either.

Unfortunately, unlike how there are DRM-free videogames, I don't know of any option that entertains these needs with things like movies and TV shows.  It's either physical media (such as DVDs) or streaming, it seems.

• You can change. You can.

I'm sure you can download the movies if you wanted to see them.

I were a fan who liked the series enough

it bothers me when people say that because it kinda implies that the movies are made just for the fans and are not accessible by anyone else. Or at least, that's what I often hear when people say stuff like that. 

• MrWMrW
    edited 2012-05-09 20:58:18

I really liked The Avengers, despite the fact that I didn't watch any of the films it tied into. With the exception of the usual nods and winks to existing fans, everything was adequately explained, at least to me. It was as much of an introduction to the series as it was a movie meant to wrap multiple story arcs and set the stage for new ones.

• I saw everything but Thor two or three times at least.

That said, I have tickets to see the movie this Sunday, so we'll see how it goes.
  • edited 2012-05-09 21:09:43
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

^^^ For better or for worse (I'd say for better), I perceive it as harder and/or more dangerous to search out a currently-very-popular movie made by a U.S. studio in downloadable file format than it is to search out, say, something from a previous era or from a foreign source.

it bothers me when people say that because it kinda implies that the movies are made just for the fans and are not accessible by anyone else. Or at least, that's what I often hear when people say stuff like that.

I said "watch and rewatch", not just "watch once", for what it's worth.  Generally, for stuff I really like, I might watch over and over again certain parts of the work, and even gain an almost back-of-the-hand familiarity with parts of the work.

oh yeah, america has laws about piracy and such. Right. 

I said "watch and rewatch", not just "watch once", for what it's worth.

Well, the comment still implies that you didn't watch them for the reasons listed, no? it's just that you can't rewatch if you didn't watch in the first place. Unless I misread your intention and if so, I withdraw the comment, then.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Well, I haven't watched them for different reasons.  Even if I had free web access to all the downloads in the world, I wouldn't have downloaded them to watch them in the first place, and that's not because I'm not a fan and I like having hard drive space.  I know the movies are for more than just fans.  The reasons I haven't seen the movies in the first place include that I don't have the time, that I haven't had them on my radar, and the price of movie tickets (and I don't even know where the nearest theater is, I think the one that used to be the nearest closed down...which I'm (slightly ironically) also kinda sad about, but that's another story).

I think I first heard about Avengers from y'all here on IJBM.  Dunno which movies are its predecessor movies, but from reading this conversation it seems that Iron Man is one of them.  That movie I knew about for a while now, but absent any meatspace social push (even possibly from my parents) to see it, I've just kinda ignored it.

It's true that if I saw it I might become a fan.  Heck, I saw Star Wars Episode III and then I became a minor fan of General Grievous because he seemed kinda awesome.  And I started to make sense of the overall Star Wars hexology's plot because I got mildly interested in the series from seeing Ep III.

But yeah, the thing about rewatching has to do with what I'd do as a fan.  If I wanted to rewatch a certain subset of scenes over and over again, that would be a reason for me to have a copy of the thing on my hard drive.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Iron Man-The Incredible Hulk-Iron Man 2-Thor-Captain America: The First Avenger-The Avengers. That's how the movie series goes. It's proper name is the Marvel cinematic universe.

Well, it's your time, Glenn. Far be it from me to tell you how to spend it.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

From what I remember I heard Iron Man 3 will be set after the end of Cap before Avengers.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

We are getting Midquels now?

midquel's a word?

huh.

anyway, i think it'd be interesting if Avengers worked out as the end of the MCU. Not "interesting-good" but interesting. 

• edited 2012-05-09 22:00:40
    He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Wikipedia says Iron Man 3 is based on the non-flashback parts of the Extremis story arc(unlike the original film).

Which would put the Extremis armor above the Mark VII(The Avenger's Iron Man armor)

So it can't be a midquel, at least for now.

• edited 2012-05-09 22:02:09
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

I can't find anything saying that Iron Man 3 takes place before the Avengers anywhere.

It's possible that my google-fu is just lacking, though.

And without having seen the Avengers, it seems like making it take place before the team-up would be wasting a huge story opportunity.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

midquel's a word?

huh.

yup

And without having seen the Avengers, it seems like making it take place before the team-up would be wasting a huge story opportunity.

Well, it depends. Iron Man has a lot of potential for character growth and stuff, and they can always set more movies after.

I can't find anything saying that Iron Man 3 takes place before the Avengers anywhere.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0848228/faq#.2.1.25 actually says the opposite.

• edited 2012-05-09 23:05:01
    You can change. You can.

ladies and gentlemen, i give you the gift of a shitty indie american evangelion adaptation.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

I genuinely can’t tell if that’s a blatant ripoff or some kind of weird fan-movie-thing.

It's the second one. It's even got an IMDB page and everything.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Welp, all I can say is that at least they're doing what people who want to make movies should do: make movies.

• I'm a damn twisted person

And Darkrai get. Finally all 646 legitimately obtainable pokemon on one final. This is what 100% completion feels like after starting that file in Pokemon Red so many years ago. 

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

@Malk: I've felt for a while now that Van Helsing would work better as a game -- but then again, we already have Castlevania's massive camp. It kind of does suck that the movie bombed, because you're right that it's actually an exceptional piece of action and camp when it maintains its focus and delivers on its concept. I'd love to see it come back as a franchise, because it would essentially be "steampunk Hammer Horror monster hunting" and frankly I could always do with some more of that. 

• edited 2012-05-10 01:48:16
    Likes cheesecake unironically.

The characters are likeable enough, but Cless and Mint suffer from heavy "protagonist and love interest" syndrome -- they're not as interesting as the side characters, because the side characters aren't held to their standards of idealisation in terms of behaviour.

It's the same in the game, actually. Arche was my favorite character and Klarth was quite interesting too. I haven't played far enough to get Chester (again), but he did seem more interesting then Cless in the beginning.

Cless and Mint, on the other hand, were quite boring.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

You'll probably like Arche in the anime, if you choose to watch it. 

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    fuck why am I still awake
  • If you're like me, it's a combination of insomnia and hunger.

get out of my head
  • No, we're permanently linked. Also, it's cozy in here.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

I just saw a guy on the internet calling people who go to concerts and mass gatherings in general "clownish plebeians" who willingly succumb themselves to herd mentality.

I'm wondering how do people like this even have fun.