If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

So today my vampire ninja quoted Duran Duran at a Norse god.

It's been that kind of day.

• I'm a damn twisted person

DonZabu - and your point is? You realize how they feel or something?

Malkavian - Some tabletop RP I'm guessing?

Bluh I should work on my This Week in Ink post. A lot to talk about, not all of it good. I could ramble about Finder some, but I think Juan and Nova are sick of hearing me blather on about it on IRC.

• You can change. You can.

Hey, if I'm allowed to ramble about Batman, then you're allowed to ramble about Finder.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I only heard you talk about Finder once on IRC. I asked you what it was and you didn't tell me :V

• edited 2012-03-09 00:12:47
    I'm a damn twisted person

Oh, must have been doing something else or missed that. It's a sci fi slice of life about the guy named Jaeger who is Finder (aboriginal detective)/ sin eater (ritual scapegoat)/con man/asshole/ usually well intentioned fuck up. Well at least they tangentially involve him. Some stories just have him name dropped or make a minor appearance.

And the sci fi in Finder is very weird. Like it's very familiar in lots of ways, but lots of little details are just out there.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

So, probably not my thing, I guess.

I dunno, you might like it. I think a lot of the other characters like Rachel, Marcie, Magri and Vary might interest you. And it is ... kinda slice of life that borrows elements from other genres as it feels like, so it's not just Jaeger having adventures.

Then again there is the scene where in a fit of manic sickness Jaeger mutilates himself in such a way to redecorate a bathroom with his own blood (he's okay afterwards, he heals from damn near anything). Which of course McNeil takes advantage of this and just shows him being a mess after things like getting hit by a car or falling out a fourth story window.

I think a lot of the other characters like Rachel, Marcie, Magri and Vary might interest you.

Hm...

Then again there is the scene where in a fit of manic sickness Jaeger mutilates himself in such a way to redecorate a bathroom with his own blood (he's okay afterwards, he heals from damn near anything). Which of course McNeil takes advantage of this and just shows him being a mess after things like getting hit by a car or falling out a fourth story window.

no

• There's a copy of Mass Effect 3 sitting beside me but I have nothing to play it on/am not allowed to play it for a month (if I'm very persuasive).

=(

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

:(

I still think you might like the Talisman story which is mostly Marcie's story and something anybody who has liked stories and wanted to create them can relate to. There's the Dream Sequence arc too which is kinda neat in how it touches on the artist vs. the cult of originality problem, but then again some gore and dismemberment to peoples virtual avatars happens.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

So, just got back from the psychologist. 

He thinks I might be an aspie. Might be right. Whatever the case is, I'm not hopping on that bandwagon just yet. 

• Meh. It's a label which is only truly detrimental if you let it completely define you. i.e. blaming all your personality flaws on it. It's one of the more unfortunate stereotypes that autism cripples your social ability when in reality, autistic people can still be integrated into normal society.

I don't really care about what kind of disorder I have, but it's pretty clear that I have some highly irregular traits that are difficult to reconcile with standard living patterns. My only concern is identifying potential solutions. 

• No rainbow star

He thinks I might be an aspie

Suddenly the insane amounts of sword obsession make perfect sense

• You can change. You can.

I've actually had thought you might be one precisely because of that. And your verbosity. And some other things you have mentioned about the way you interact with people. But I'm no psychologist and didn't feel like prying into your life by asking.

trait: aspie +20% exp in relation to one chosen skill

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur
    My own psychiatrist told me that I might have OCPD. I can see the possibility, but I don't really mind. People around me can be annoyed by those traits, though.

Man,I really wish I could get therapy... >_>

I got therapy once, but my counsellor couldn't keep paying for it :V

Price is an issue for me as well, along with the fact that my father doesn't believe in therapy. Or that I have problems. >_<

My counsellor took pity on me and paid for counselling sessions for a while. Uh, as silly as that sounds.

Now I just make do anyway.

The value of therapy is circumstantial in any case. It's a strong presence for some, and near worthless to others. Well worth a try, but not a solution by a long shot. The value of therapy, I think, is in establishing a solution rather than being one in and of itself. One of a therapist's most important roles is to tell you what you already know under a different framework. Many solutions are come by, not by willing oneself through a poor situation, but by changing the context of one's living to support a different way of going about one's life. 

And I think that's the real trick. Trying to force a change on its own won't do much, but if that change is supported by a strong, behaviour-reinforcing context, it's much more likely to work. This is a part of the reason why keeping a regular schedule, while in some ways restrictive, is very healthy. Even having a poor job is often good because now there's a centre of activity around which one can build more. 

As much as I would personally love the job of, say, monster hunter, it would probably cause a lot of mental instability. Not just through the fact that one's job is to face nameless abominations from beyond time, space and sanity, but because the irregular hours, ever-changing needs of the client and inconsistent pay would be a poor base for structured living. 

We are beings of habit, and monster hunting is not healthy.

(This PSA was funded by the Brotherhood of Bladefaggotry, Madassia.)

Imagine putting that down on your resume.

1999-2010

- Monster Hunter

• Wielded ancient artifacts from beyond the Deep

• Able to speak in seventeen different arcane languages

• Skilled in identification of seventeen thousand, six hundred and twenty-two different species of fanged, vicious tentacle monsters from beyond human ken.

• Slight ability with Old One Magic

2011-2012

- Burger Flipper

• Cooks a mean fries

• Champion of the Whales

My country decided that CBT would be free on the NHS :o

I know this because I spoke about whether seeing one for my gender issues would be a good idea

• Genetically altered from a young age to exceed human limits of strength, speed and perception.

• Able to drink alchemical potions fatal to regular human beings. 

• Skilled in a secret form of swordsmanship developed to counter non-human entities. 

• Knowledge of several minor magical spells.

A nod of recognition for whoever identifies where this is from. 

It does not happen to be Witchers?

-nod-

A good guess. 

I suppose I should obsess more quietly before I make a riddle of something. :>

I do not think I have ever heard you talk about Witchers. I just know the premise of the show and all that junk.

• edited 2012-03-09 07:28:31
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

It's kind of astounding that someone's heard of the show/film before the books or video games, if only because the show and film were poorly received. The video games have been critical darlings in game journalism, and the books are similarly treated in the circles that are aware of them.  

If not vidya, I can recommend the books (beginning with The Last Wish) as entertaining and clever fantasy. Flawed and sometimes a bit amateur (as if I can speak :U), but there's some excellent stuff. The first book (one of two in English) is essentially a collection of short stories linked together, many of which are retold fairy tales in the best way possible. "Darker and edgier" might be one term to use, but they don't contain the denial of the fairy tale's initial value and charm that so many modern adaptations seem to imply. They are, at the end of it all, still fairy tales. Red riding hood does not turn out to be a sexually-empowered woman with an automatic pistol hidden in her bosom, and the huntsman still saves her from the wolf. But the way the stories reach those conclusions is always very interesting. 

I would heartily recommend vidya, too, but ebooks are not difficult to come by.