If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.
    It's overrated, like anything /a/ creams itself over, but that doesn't remove the qualities that are there. Well worth a viewing either way.

Just don't go in expecting an actual deconstruction as defined by TVTropes. There's some Reality Ensues moments courtesy of Darker and Edgier, but that's kind of a different thing.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I thought it was a collective understanding that whenever TV Tropes says 'deconstruction' it actually means 'I really really like it'.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    ^No, it means "it's really realistic and DEEEEEEP!".

But really, the only thing I know about it is that it's magical girl show with some Lovecraftian horror. I'm watching just to see what everyone's talking about.

To be honest, I'm hoping for another MLP incident.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^Here's a better summary: Faust, if it were about magical girls.
    It's almost like I made an image along those lines or something... oh wait. =P

• edited 2011-11-22 00:11:59

But really, the only thing I know about it is that it's magical girl show with some Lovecraftian horror. I'm watching just to see what everyone's talking about.

If that's the only expectations you have of it, then you probably won't be disappointed.  It is indeed a magical girl show (at least conceptually, even if it doesn't really have a lot of the usual conventions of the genre due to being targeted at a different audience) with a fair amount of horror elements.  Honestly, despite what I say about it, it's not bad.  Mostly I'm butthurt that it gets more attention than shows I actually like... >.>  But also it's just that I don't think it's particularly great either and I'm kinda sick of hearing about it...

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^^It's not like it's a difficult conclusion. The first image onscreen translates to the title of Faust's first scene.
    Yeah, yeah... I just like using that image. Also, it's nice to see people actually deciding to pick up Goethe because of an animu.

That said, I still need to finish Faust...

and watch Murnau's movie of it...
  • This is Tvtropes's definition of Deconstruction:

• No rainbow star
    ^ Needs more darkness
  • You can change. You can.
    It's not ZOMG amazing or even inrediblly deep, but it's certainly better than most of the Magical Girl shows I've watched. Or at least, one of the most serviceable shows of the genre, anyway.

Princess Tutu is supposedly better, fwiw. I'd be watching it after Twin Peaks, but my laptop is bust and I hate streaming 
    I think it's a genuinely fantastic series, honestly. I think Madoka is better than Tutu though, in no small part to animation budget differences but also in how lean Madoka is compared to Tutu. I guess that depends on whether you prefer a show that takes its time so you get comfortable with characters or one that establishes them then fucks with you.
    I'd like it far more were it not for everything that happens between episodes 4 and 8 getting in my nerves in terms of writing and pacing.

Still, the cast alone made it worth it for me.
    I think Madoka is a strong reflection of reality in its own way. Much like, say, FMA, it's about personal development and the costs of living. Good people with good, kind values are punished horribly. There's no rule of equivalence where goodness itself makes things right or happy. That's a strong lesson for real life, and probably all the more pertinent in Japan where the suicide rate amongst youths is so high. All the same, such works of media argue that the reward is beside the point, and that noble people should be that way for reasons other than reward.
  • edited 2011-11-22 00:44:47
    No rainbow star
    ^^ On your nerves, Juan. On them
    yeah yeah

fucking english prepositions. See, that's why you need in and on to be the same word, geez. 

Honestly, the only lesson Madoka taught me is to not make deals with white cat things who can eat the shit out of themselves
    Also, despair makes swords more powerful.
  • edited 2011-11-22 00:59:18
    It's not ZOMG amazing or even inrediblly deep, but it's certainly better than most of the Magical Girl shows I've watched. 

Eh.  Even discounting the fact that I like Precure and CCS and the like a lot more than Madoka and its ilk, I think a lot of what Madoka did was already done better over a decade ago by Utena and then Princess Tutu.  And what those shows didn't do was basically covered by Nanoha.

• edited 2011-11-22 01:00:10
    No rainbow star
    ^^^ But it wouldn't make sense D:

...And would cause confusion if you're saying somebody's turning you in/on...
    Meh, haven't watched either of those, so I can't judge, but I think that falls into the point I was trying to make: That it's an easier show to swallow for people who're not familiar with Magical Girls. Or anime, really. As I've only watched like...5 animus from beginning to end and applying good ol' narrative analysis to them. 
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    >Also, despair makes swords more powerful.

Hail the almighty emo blade?
  • ^^ Fair enough. >.>
    Spoilers for those who haven't seen Madoka. Also, hilarity:

It's OK, DYRE, one day I'll watch your favorite animus just so I can mock them talk about them with you. 
  • It's OK, DYRE, one day I'll watch your favorite animus just so I can mock them talk about them with you. 

You are already watching K-ON!, no?

• What does Assassin's Creed have to do with any of that?
    Finished the first season a coupla months back.

Doesn't provide much room for talk, though.
  • edited 2011-11-22 01:54:10

Also true. >.>

• I'm bored.

Anonus is online but we seem to have run out of things to talk about, which is no fun.
  • They're somethin' else.
    GO ON AN ADVENTURE