If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Sometimes, you spend years mastering a skill knowing that one day you might be the one to teach it. Sometimes, you spend the last fifteen minutes before the class you're teaching begins on learning the basics. Such is life.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    On the bright side this happened in 2022 when all the students spend half the class on their phones. Older generations might have actually noticed.

XJ7mo1d.jpg

Usually I post pictures in relevant threads but I didn't feel like digging anything up (yes I made it).
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    So, apparently, some Russian rocket finally did the thing and landed on the wrong side of the border. Two dead or some such.

Heh heh. Eh heh heh eh heh.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    c z e r w o n y   p r z y c i s k

So, apparently, some Russian probably Ukranian rocket finally did the thing and landed on the wrong side of the border. Two dead or some such.

Well yeah I was going to ask if you were okay/alive.
    So, apparently, some Russian probably Ukranian rocket finally did the thing and landed on the wrong side of the border. Two dead or some such.

It may entirely be, but surely, we can let that little tidbit slip if nuclear war is on the line, can't we?
  • I just reinstalled Windows. Ahhh the possibilities.
    Also, I should've gotten an SSD earlier.
  • It lasted way longer than I expected, but it was coming to an end eventually.
    I'll be out of a job this 30th. It's a bummer, these last few months it's been quite comfy being there.
    Ouch.

I'm not sure how or what else to say, but it sucks.
    Happy US American Thanksgiving, but sorry to hear that you're gonna be losing your job
    Yeah commiserations about work Storm.

Posting about work too, just to let you guys know that if I go for long periods without posting I'm not ghosting you on purpose. Thanks to that promotion I got, I was put in a pretty much "in-charge" position with a data-migration thing at work and it's literally analog transfer work that takes up 10 hours a day 6 days a week.

In fact, I just got back 10m ago and I'll be back there in less than 12 hours. It's not a position I ever thought I'd be in work-wise.
    Thanks to that promotion I got, I was put in a pretty much "in-charge" position with a data-migration thing at work and it's literally analog transfer work that takes up 10 hours a day 6 days a week.

This does sound like corp-speak for "I'm a medieval monk and the abbot just named me the chief copist".
  • Thank you for the kind words, guys.
    Hopefully I'll be able to monetize the things I do, cuz I have no idea what I'll do to get by otherwise.
  • edited 2022-11-26 17:15:42
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    This does sound like corp-speak for "I'm a medieval monk and the abbot just named me the chief copist".

It is.

The more things change huh.
    lrdgck wrote: »
    Thanks to that promotion I got, I was put in a pretty much "in-charge" position with a data-migration thing at work and it's literally analog transfer work that takes up 10 hours a day 6 days a week.

I think the word you want is "copyist", but "copist" -- as in "a person who copes or specializes in coping" -- is a funny interpretation. Especially with "coping" being something of a meme on the internet lately.
    I think the word you want is "copyist"
    Entirely possible. Could've been a case of linguistic false friend.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loud_Brothers

It's a shame the Loud Brothers piano company didn't stay in business, because they have a very appropriate name.

Or perhaps a perfectly unfitting name, since they were not a forte company.
    Using LeechBlock, I've been able to block going to youtube.com itself while also not blocking embedded YouTube videos.

This will help shift my video watching to FreeTube and NewPipe, which don't show me a list of suggested videos. In turn this should help me avoid wasting as much time on YouTube videos.
  • Apparently I ate something I shouldn't have, I've been feeling I'll all day long.
    Either you have an extra apostrophe or you're missing at least one word =P

(Sorry, just had to point that out for the fun of it. I started wondering what I could fill in..."I'll hurl"? "I'll regret this"?)
    "Suffer"?
  • Extra apostrophe, I was feeling ill yesterday.
    I'm still kind of tired and I have a slight headache but for the most part I'm feeling better.
  • edited 2022-12-11 05:20:14
    I've been browsing r/cscareerquestions lately, though I can't say I've found it useful so far. It's also reminded me of the stark difference between (practical?) computer science and technical computer science.
    On somewhat related stuff, I've been doing Advent of Code this year (tl;dr: a programming exercise daily until Christmas), although I have to wonder if I'm wasting my time by spending 10 minutes writing up something I already know how to do and then an hour or more on finding the inevitable bugs.
    Well, I assume practicing the stuff you might have learned a while ago and then have gaps in is actually good and useful.

If I ever hear about the World Cup again I don't even know what I'll do.

Probably seethe more.
  • edited 2022-12-12 07:25:11
    TIL the Birthday Song has been in the public domain since 2016.
    I think I remember there being a furor after the original announcement about that.

Sad that this means the alternative Birthday song ("Happy Happy Birthday, from all of us to you"etc) fell out of favor.

I've gotten to the part of this project where I/the team have to update lots of customer details and I'm starting to wonder how people get through customer service jobs without their overall opinion of humanity's competence dropping like a rock.

I mean this will probably be over by the end of the week for me but people do this like, full time.
    Remember the good ol' days of the internet when everybody decided that they had to dedicate about 2-3 months to making fun of some random girl with exactly one music video? I miss those days when we were all united against random, arbitrary targets that really shouldn't have been the target of the vitriol of teens/adults in the first place.
    Mob mentality at its finest lol
  • Awww, I wanted France to win, I wasn't super decided about it on the basis of them winning the previous World Cup but I had to root for them after they started losing, it almost paid out. They were my best option after Morocco, Croatia, Poland, Tunisia, Serbia, Saudi Arabia etc. got kicked out.
    This was a good World Cup for those of us who always root for the underdog.