If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I just realized that in my tiredness yesterday I had read the complete opposite meaning compared to what it actually says in lrdgck's posts.

Well, I said not much of anything, so there is literally nothing I need to edit. lol

(And I'm still curious which foreign towns canceled their partnerships.)
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    At first it was the French town Saint-Jean-de-Braye, then the municipality/county of Noget-Sur-Oise, and then the entire region Centre-Val de Loire.
  • edited 2020-02-26 05:13:07
    There is love everywhere, I already know

Ah, sounds like this.*

Which is more complicated than "We're going to run all youse out of town, hardyhar!"

Though of course, they decided to name their policy "LGBT+ free zones" anyways like a bunch of naive towns that don't understand public relati... oh wait...

I mean, even I was entirely willing to go "oh those traditionalists and their militant excesses" to start with.

*Again, I understand that this article is inflammatory at points* (and that Spain Vox is insane a lot of the time, even there re: "pederasty???"), but absolutely nobody else is willing to broach these subjects, so that's what you get.

Anyways, I always wonder why "Think of the gay children! They need to feel accepted right now!" has gotten so intense when (as I've mentioned before) we have an insane proportion of successful gay men everywhere (and had enough before and after the AIDS crisis to build a whole gay rights movement).

*Actually though:
    we are going to have to get used to being called “far right” and insulted by progressive politicians and institutional leaders

[...]
    When I give my speech at the upcoming Rome conference on February 4

This exact thing did happen.

Just to be clear here: gay rights is a complex issue, but it's not one helped by people who are willing to point at anything they can and say "We're being oppressed (claim unproven)! Help us destroy some average townspeople!"

Personally, my position is pretty libertarian when it comes to adults; people should do what they want, and others should tolerate that, but nobody should be forced or socially coerced into supporting, promoting or affirming anything. I think most noticeably, tolerance is a quiet action. Nobody needs to hear about it aside from during civic education and explicit political discussion.

The rest, however, is noisy, intense, double-dipped in quasi-emotional marketing speak (that people now employ as their own speech, which always creeps me out), and increasingly directed at children (who, as far as I know, at the fine limits of their individuality remain their parents property rather than the state's or society's as a whole).
  • What do you mean "increasingly"? "Think of the children" has been a joke since at least the mid-90s.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    Well, before, the "think of the children" debate came from one side of the argument. Whether it was like, serious issues right down to metal music and that one time a Barbie doll came with a pentagram necklace.

Now, "think of the children" is being used by everybody in this debate. Which at the very least is an amusing development.
  • edited 2020-02-27 10:01:34
    I'm working on a work report right now and half the time I have no idea what I'm saying from paragraph to paragraph*.

In two weeks my work colleagues will be like "Great report, man" and we'll all know what a gigantic lie that is.

At one point, my direct manager e-mailed me that basically said something like:
    Make sure to give me half a page on that stuff about ethics but make sure to drill down on this year's tax evasion "tax planning".

In all honesty the tax... er... planning bit is one of the few that makes any sense.
  • edited 2020-02-28 06:02:10
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    It's amazing how many internet arguments are about people feeling slighted/disrespected by whatever or whoever.

if no one had any dignity this would not be a problem
  • Self-reminder that I should also at some point post about the legally/ethically dubious things I do at work.
  • With each day I'm increasingly convinced my mother would fail the Stanford marshmallow experiment. She's made loads of things suggesting that but this was too much.
    As I've mentioned before, the main hydropneumatic tank* at home is old and rusty, so holes often form up around it that need to be mended, ideally with soldering but I have to do with epoxy glue, that is, remove whatever loose piece of material is there, wait a few days for the area around the hole to dry, apply glue and wait a day or two for the glue to dry. One such hole was causing water to spray so I set out to mend it.
    Now yesterday by the time the tank had dryed up and I was going to apply the glue, the secondary hydraulic system was out of water, so my mother wanted me to turn the main one on to have running water for the day (we'd have still water regardless of anything), I told her that at best that would undo the work I was doing, at worst it'd cause the tank to burst, especially as I had removed a whole chunk of glue from previous mendings that was helping keep the tank together. At any rate it wasn't something that could just be kept on and she was essentially trading one day with water for several days without, but she insisted, we argued and eventually I relented, I turned the pump on and furious I told her I'd no longer have anything to do with the home's plumbing. She made it very clear that she wanted running water that day and that's it.
    So obviously it was pouring out water very badly. I don't think she even bothered to look at it until after a while, but after about 20 mins of flooding the yard she turns it off. She must've known turning it on was a stupid idea but she'd never admit it and just pretended it was her intention.
    She said she'd call a plumber to remove the tank so I could repair it, as if somehow that was the reason I couldn't repair it or as if I hadn't told her I wouldn't have anything to do with it or as if I could repair it even if I wanted to given that if it wasn't installed I could no longer have it pressurized to test what I do.
    Anyhows, plumber came and uninstalled the tank, the hole had grown to be very large and was now a long wide crack that can't reasonably be glued off, maybe it can be sealed by soldering a plate onto it, maybe not. My mother is now pretending she didn't have to do with it, that it was already like that for a long while despite how obviously false that is.
    So naturally I'm irate. I've often thought that I should act like she's a little, impulsive child who says and does stupid stuff that I should ignore.
    *: The large metal cylinder that contains pressurized water from the pump's outlet (and some air).
  • edited 2020-03-01 05:57:12
    She made it very clear that she wanted running water that day and that's it.
    My mother is now pretending she didn't have to do with it, that it was already like that for a long while despite how obviously false that is.

Ah, interactions with one's fellow man.

Yeah overall this sounds maddening but... keep going! I'm guessing absolutely nothing about this situation will really ever change but at least you'll develop great self-control!

This actually reminds me of a lot of adult characters in movies with children of their own who become frustrated with their parents for one reason or another. The character will usually dramatically reveal how their parent's [insert here] is selfishly ruining everybody else's life and then the parent character will ~change~.

Now that is the most high fantasy thing I've ever seen in any form of fiction.
  • edited 2020-03-01 21:06:14
    I feel like my ability to self-control took a hit tbh

Anyhows, I feel better after sleeping intermittently for over 12 hours and playing video games to pretend my problems don't exist.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    I feel like my ability to self-control took a hit tbh

My gaze fell at the taking a hit part at first, and I needed a while to figure out you aren't saying you were in a fight.
    Anyhows, I feel better after sleeping intermittently for over 12 hours and playing video games to pretend my problems don't exist.

As a short-term solution, I've found it works quite fine. As a long-term... well, so far...
    lrdgck wrote: »

As a short-term solution, I've found it works quite fine. As a long-term... well, so far...

story of many lives
    Well, it works as a way to blow off steam, rather than using it as a literal escapism mechanism.

This actually reminds me of a recent conversation I had with my own mother:

Mother: The kitchen is filthy!
    Me: ??? what the heck I just cleaned up in there.
    Mother: I mean, the ceiling above the stove!
    Me: Ah, well, that's what happens when you cook?
    Mother: We need to paint the house*, immediately, and we need to do it every two years!
    Me: ???? what's going on? The house is fine.

The house is fine. Mom Translation: I am a filthy ungrateful pig who will waste money on useless things instead of spending it on what really matters, like home decor.

*I hope the goal escalation here is clear.
  • Oh gosh, home decor was also my mother's money sink back when household finances weren't so bad, something like a filter to set an upper limit on how much money we could save. I guess it'd have been fine if it had been things like furniture, but it always was destructive things like moving a window from one wall to another, tearing down the floor tiles to put up different ones, etc.
    Oh gosh, home decor was also my mother's money sink back when household finances weren't so bad, something like a filter to set an upper limit on how much money we could save. I guess it'd have been fine if it had been things like furniture, but it always was destructive things like moving a window from one wall to another, tearing down the floor tiles to put up different ones, etc.

I never quite got why my parents couldn't just plant a tree or some other shrub and just let it live there, as opposed to cut it down or dig up in a few years and replace by some other that was bound for the same treatment in a few more.
    Some people's idea of home decor is to express their vision of how things ought to look.
    The coronavirus finally arrived in Poland.

Reportedly its first words were "fuck, you guys can live like this?"
  • That's scary. Stay safe!
    Heh. It's a single case, assuming there weren't any earlier that went undiscovered, and it's quite far from here, so don't worry.

Mostly it's a relief that you don't have to wonder when the fuck will it happen and shit, because it's officially already here, everyone calm down, party's over, you can go home now.

'Sides, my family has a history of being told they had once had a dangerous condition that they walked off in the meantime, so it would be supremely funny if this cold I have right now turns out to have been corona.

Also, I have that pile of post-apo costume stuff I bought on an impulse long time ago that's been only gathering dust so far.
    so it would be supremely funny if this cold I have right now turns out to have been corona.

Agreed!

But, really, stay safe and such.
    lrdgck wrote: »
    The coronavirus finally arrived in Poland.

Reportedly its first words were "fuck, you guys can live like this?"

The coronavirus has also finally arrived in Florida.

The party continues though.
    Florida man catches coronavirus, continues to party
  • edited 2020-03-05 15:46:05
    It's here~

The guy who got it was in an airport I was in literally two months ago. I mean, the guy then got on a plane that went directly the opposite direction of me, but still.

Like literally every single case on the continent, it came from Italy, so I wonder if in ten years there'll be some vaguely humorous stigma around Italian people like we're East Coast America or something and nobody will know why.
  • That's scary. Stay safe!
    but Corona is a magic attack that enemies use on Mario, not the other way around
  • edited 2020-03-07 16:24:47
    There's this tree in the yard that's been dying for some reason. We had its branches pruned and hopefully it'll recover, the yard isn't the same without the shading it provided.
    On the topic of home maintenance, the hydraulic system is back online, new tank cost 200 bucks, which I suppose is much less than I expected (~350 bucks), so that's good. It's considerably smaller, though.
    On the topic of fixing stuff, I decided to ignore the "if it ain't broken don't fix it" adage and cleaned my computer for the first time in several years, maybe something like six years or more, thus removing the protective layer of dust that shielded it against the elements. I was hoping it'd help with GPU temperature but it didn't change much, OTOH the change in CPU temperature is massive, there was a wall of dust blocking the heat sink and without it it's hovering at ~62 °C during load. Though it didn't occur to me to run tests beforehand to know exactly how much of an inprovement that is. Also I could really use better GPU performance instead.
    I'm losing track of my pepes. Simple numbering makes it hard to know which pepe I already have, and neither it helps with finding the right one for the occasion. One of these days, I'm gonna separate them into categories or come up with some cataloguing and tagging system.
  • I've been interested in 3D environment modeling lately, I've been practicing by replicating photos of places, which is something I've been looking for for a while, a way to git gud by shutting off my brain and do something over and over.
    In what's almost certainly related, I've grown interested in photography recently, now the possibility of me spending lots of money on a camera is nearly as unlikely as me being seen in public areas with expensive equipment, but still I've been interested in the specifics of how photographers do their thing.
  • edited 2020-03-09 19:44:58
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    I've heard one can earn good money by selling photos to stock databases. I guess much the same can be done with artwork.

Edit: Meanwhile in Poland: beaver breaks into home, assaults a woman