If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• One of the most significant, heartbreakingly, was in how they dealt with what seems to have been a near-constant barrage of insults from non-Dagorhir playing hecklers. The group would cope by ignoring the insults, pretending they were unhurt by them, pushing their feelings down deep inside. 

What the hell are they supposed to do, have grouphug sessions?

• edited 2015-03-13 14:17:43
    Diet NEET
    Constructively talk about their anxieties and practice good self-care, I suppose. Then again, it's a master thesis with restricted access(seriously, not even a hint on methodology in the abstract?): https://dspace.iup.edu/handle/2069/2110?show=full

It could be anything from "I actually polled anxiety levels/ambiguous sexism" to "heavily extrapolated urban anthropology with a side dish of mandatory socjus subjects in the curriculum". The former is fallible, the latter is largely ideological, and not one I share overmuch. 
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

The group would cope by ignoring the insults, pretending they were unhurt by them, pushing their feelings down deep inside. 

Wow. Will remember it next time I'm pissed. Turns out I shouldn't have withheld these times I was about to throw a tantrum. You know, pushing feelings down.

Tangentially related: one of these days I'll post a rant on the stupider ideas of the local feminists, I guess. It's like they're either invisible or pathetic, those who aren't pathetic don't really register in the public consciousness.

Tangentially related to Terry Pratchett: you know what's annoying? When people discuss a man committing suicide and call it euthanasia. I mean, sure, technically it means "a good death", whatever the cause, but that's not exactly what the word is taken to mean these days. If a man gulps down a poison pill it's suicide. Now, I don't know what the law says about loading a revolver for your old man so he can blow his brain out, whether it's some sort of being an accomplice to a murder or whatever, but if he pulls the trigger on his own, bringing it up in a discussion on euthanasia is pointless.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    So, I was about to post they found a superconductor at 190 K and that I couldn't go to a lecture on it, then found out this piece of news is like three months old.
  • There were no posts on the 20st or 23rd.

To liven things up, umhh, my brother has been reading Redpill lately. I'm not quite sure how to feel about it, supposedly he doesn't pay attention to the misoginy stuff, but from what I've seen there isn't much non-misoginy stuff to speak of, so I'm getting a different impression.
  • And of course, by 23rd I mean 22nd.

Am I the only one who's been having problems when loading pages, especially when trying to edit posts?
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    BTW @Stormtroper, replying to your earlier inquiry, that other site is Allspark.  Mostly the Beast Hunters Mayhem subforum, apparently -- though I guess I don't really go anywhere else since I'm not actually a Transformers fan.  But yeah, there are a handful of common members between here and there.
    Redpill. My bro's been reading Ironpill, mentioned that earlier. But he doesn't read that far right stuff he'd been into, nowadays.
  • At least it's not blackpill. 
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    blackpill? What's that? Neo take this pill and you will now experience the matrix like a black person?
  • This person: https://omegavirginrevolt.wordpress.com/ (let's keep our fingers crossed that he's a self-Googler)
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    Now those are some sensible words. Just not arranged in a manner that reflect any appreciation of reality.
  • You and Myrmidon should do a "who can find the weirdest blogs" competition.
  • a little muffled
    Africa is a very matriarchal place.  A lot of Africa is under the control of women with manginas as the front men doing the work.  This is why so much of Africa as well as places like Detroit are such basket cases.
    sensible
  • Noimporta wrote: »
    You and Myrmidon should do a "who can find the weirdest blogs" competition.

Can they beat the conspiracy sites I come across, though?
  • Is Myrmidon still hanging around here?
  • Nopes.

And "Dickless mangina project" made me laugh.
    The weirdest blog I found was run by some guy running a one-man religious organisation. Claimed he had been revealed some prophetic truth, wrote a letter to the Pope and didn't understand why he received no reply, so on. His prophecies ranged from the typical end of the world visions to "the three point throw in basketball will be worth five points", I kid you not. Essentially it made an impression of a weird millennial cult stuff filtered through Polish take on Catholicism. Not as weird as the stuff from Myrm and Add, but I find solace in the fact that I understand jokes whose punchlines require me to know about the Akashic Records.
  • Is Myrmidon still hanging around here?
    No, but we can call him up from his grave to participate.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Printed out a few documents the other day in the computer lab.

Computer lab has a stapler.  Standard desktop stapler, black, full-length, yadda yadda.  Documents I tried to staple were 21, 17, and 7 sheets, respectively.  That stapler failed repeatedly to handle 21 and 17 sheets.  Many times in a row.

Come back to my cubicle, where I have on hand a shitty-ass stapler.  Freebie imprinted with school library's logo.  The bottom plastic casing fell off before and I had to smush it back on.

It handled 21 and 17 sheets just fine.  Two out of two attempts were successes.  Well one of them didn't quite fold the staple right, but at least it went through all the pages cleanly and without deforming the staple prematurely.

TL;DR don't dismiss cheapo stuff as being shitty

• >On some pilot forums, friends of the dead man said: "He had a lot of loyalty for a hired pilot and was a big guy for his family and friends." 

I knew Bane memes were going to be posted when I heard the news, but this is truly worse than I expected.
  • "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."
    There seems to be an odd hole in our math curriculum: complex numbers. None of the math classes actually teach how it works, but they expect you to have learned it somewhere along the way. So there was a bit of confusion when it came up as a sample problem in today's C++ class. I didn't have any issues, but at least one of my classmates said something along the lines of "yeah, I've never actually seen this stuff before".
  • edited 2015-03-29 04:11:43
    a little muffled
    Around here the way it seems to work is that complex numbers get a few weeks in grade 11, and then disappear until second year of uni. Definitely something that could be handled better.
  • We had the option of doing electrical circuits before calculus IV (and thus differential equations). The approach was supposed to not rely much on differential equations but at least in my case it resulted in getting confused by a bunch of equations coming from nowhere.
  • "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."
    I think the calculus curriculum here is:
    I - differentiation
    II - integration (and maybe one class on diff. equations, and maybe a couple weeks on sequences/series)
    III - multi-variable calc
    IV - vector calc

Currently in the last few weeks of Calc II, probably going to take Calc III in the fall.
  • Here it is:

I - Functions recap, limits and derivatives.

II - Integrals and sequences.

III - Multi-variable calculus and a little bit of vector calculus.

IV - A whooping of differential equations, series, dirac delta functions, jacobians and miscellaneous, not helped by the fact that the professor sucked.
  • Holy crap, I can't wait for some genuine Illuminatrix blogs to pick that up. 
  • You should send it to one. Or several.
    And remember to link it here when they do that.
  • The import tax on drama is currently too high for that. :^)