If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

^ Boooooo.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

so within the past week, Boston has been bombed, someone attempted to poison the president, there was an explosion in Texas that killed a bunch of people, at least one campus shootout (I have no idea if this is related to any of the others or not, I only get to watch the news in fragments and it's usually Fox just because that's what all the restaurants have on their TVs around here), and that was just the United States.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

there was an explosion in Texas that killed a bunch of people

This does not belong on this list. It was a fertilizer plant. Exploding is pretty much just what they do.

Why they built it in the middle of an urban area, I have no clue.

at least one campus shootout (I have no idea if this is related to any of the others or not, I only get to watch the news in fragments and it's usually Fox just because that's what all the restaurants have on their TVs around here)

That was them capturing the bombers.

A thing to remember: violent crime in the US has been consistently dropping since the early '90s. But the news really loves to report on how there's a lot of it going on.

I'm aware that it was an industrial accident but that doesn't make it any better.

A thing to remember: violent crime in the US has been consistently dropping since the early '90s. But the news really loves to report on how there's a lot of it going on.

I have heard this and really like to tell myself that, but it's just really hard to when stuff like this happens.

I also excluded a bunch of minor stuff that doesn't include anyone dying, like CISPA passing and the gun reform bills getting shut down.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

There was no campus "shootout"; there was a shooting that happened at the northeastern edge of a campus as a pair of explosives-lobbing jerks tried to get away from law enforcement.  The Boston Marathon bombers killed a campus cop and then hijacked a car and then led police on a wild chase and a firefight and a manhunt and another firefight.

Though, the ricin mail is a separate incident, as is the West, Texas explosion.

• Well to be fair, an industrial accident is much better than murder and such.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    >I have heard this and really like to tell myself that, but it's just really hard to when stuff like this happens.

To quote you in the other thread: "If you don't trust the statistics; that's your problem, not mine."
  • The stuff that played out in Boston since Thursday night was so surreal that at one point I genuinely found myself wondering if I wasn't just delusional due to lack of sleep.

I feel weird for following the events as closely as I did, seeing as how I have no personal connections to Boston or indeed to New England at all.

Anyways, though, I like to tell myself that it's for the better, since we now know that the brothers had more explosives...if they'd managed to keep on the down-low much longer there might have been another bombing and even more innocent people hurt or killed.

• No rainbow star
    All the shit that happened and we got a chicken killing in a cafeteria

I can't help but think we got off easy compared to the other stuff
  • It was incredibly surreal being here too. If not for hiding indoors all day, because my campus is on one of the highest hills in the area, I could have gone to our iconic lookout point and probably seen the helicopters over Watertown. Watertown is the next town in a straight line between the town I'm in and Boston, though all this happened more towards Boston than towards me.

I eventually forced myself to tear away from the WCVB live internet stream and get dinner. They took him into custody as I was ordering my sandwich at Quiznos. Everyone clapped. I went to the lookout point after dinner and saw not a single helicopter in the misty night.

To quote you in the other thread: "If you don't trust the statistics; that's your problem, not mine."

I don't not believe said statistics.

it's just hard to reconcile what I know on a logical level with how I feel about the things I hear.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

It's also worth bearing in mind that even if overall violence is falling, acts of violence in extreme excess are rising. One thing that's changed in the last few decades is how violence is perceived as a problem-solving tool; it wasn't a huge amount of time ago that using violence that way was a permissible element of conventional masculinity. Falling rates of general violence may also include things such as physical schoolyard bullying, domestic abuse, and other social forms of violence.

So while the falling rate of violence says a lot about how far the USA has come in the past few decades, I think it's completely sensible to be concerned about the recent spike in highly violent activity. As much as violence is occurring with less general frequency, severity is certainly going up -- as is how indiscriminate it is. 

• Just participated in my first tabletop gaming session. Alas, since we were short a player we didn't end up starting a new campaign, and just played a couple of one-shots. Had fun, but the odds are never in my favour.

• edited 2013-04-21 04:18:32
    No rainbow star

For the soundtrack of the video component of my project, I bastardized Stairway to Heaven by reversing it, lowering the tempo, lowering the speed, and all around messing with the quality

I think that's earned me a place in Music Hell

• I just finished this painting while listening to my favourite band's new album. I kinda like how it turned ut, even though it looks kinda shabby in places.

• edited 2013-04-21 05:15:15

For some reason, I now have Hibiki Tachibana avatars on like, four messageboards.

inb4 somebody figures out who I am on other sites.

• edited 2013-04-21 18:10:44
    Diet NEET

Ay, lady. Do you like pot? Coz I'm a very blunt person. *proceeds to have cigarette put out on skin*

• You can change. You can.

yo can someone do me a massive favor and summarize this week for me cuz i am lazy and the more i look up stuff for this Comedy Writing assignment, the more complicated it seems...

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

That "alpaca" made it into the game Eden Eternal.

That was one reason for me to want to continue playing it.  Ehh.

Without even looking at the article, I remember the basic stories for the Cao Ni Ma and the Fa Ke You.

Now to look at the article and remind myself what the rest are.

• edited 2013-04-22 16:23:05
    Has friends besides tanks now

Stapled my thumb. Mostly I feel kinda silly. Also because I wish I had gotten a picture of it.

• edited 2013-04-22 20:01:10

I guess I'll post again.

• The deputee who disappeared has been found, as well as his brother who had also been kidnapped. Not much else is currently known about the kidnappings.

• The guy who broke in on Maduro's swearing in is being sent to jail. He's also getting a psychiatric exam. He has an history of doing this.

• The omnibus man ombudsman said the opposition had burnt down a medical consultory building, but they rebuilt it. In hours. An Onion News equivalent had written a similar article a few days earlier.

• We're now on the US' list of countries with human rights abuses.

• The new gabinet has been chosen. It's pretty much the same.

• As for the audit, the National Electoral Council accepted it mostly to appease the UNASUR in time for the swearing in. Anyways it'd be a throughout audit (because that's what the audit is), but that whatever shows up wouldn't change the results, that these things are done through the Supreme Tribunal of Justice, which seemed fine for Capriles' team, but now the chronogram for the audit has been released and it'll be done in such a way that there won't be time to have it involved in challenging the results at the Supreme Tribunal of Justice. Not that they'd have accepted it anyways.

Not news:

• This 28th three (out of five) National Electoral Council rectors will be replaced through a process involving deputees. Let's see if the MUD having two fifths of the deputee total works out.

• Municipal elections are tentatively this July.

So, things have been going slowly and grim lately, so I'll try to check the news (and post) less often, I'm not getting anything done.

• edited 2013-04-22 20:15:48
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Austerity is great for investors.

It doesn't seem to really have much benefits for anyone else.

I know, people can say that "investors will not put money into a country that's rife with corruption and government waste because they won't get their money back".  Yes, you're absolutely right.  In which case the correct solution is not one that throwing more money can solve anyway.  The correct solution is "help the citizens fix their political system and then give them money in the right places".  No, that's not going to be quick, and it's not (likely) going to make you a ton of money.  If you're just looking to make a quick buck, your ethics are shit you've got your priorities wrong you should look elsewhere anyway.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

This sounds tricky, this helping to fix. I mean, not to touch any other issue, how do you do that? I'm pretty sure there'll be plenty of folks from any side dissing you for meddling with others' internal affairs.

• I am sick, yaaaaaay
    ^ Holy shit, have any of those people even looked at a map in the last few years?!
  • edited 2013-04-23 01:05:50

Didn't Czechoslovakia dissolve into its constituent nations in...what, 1993? 20 years ago?

Although, to the credit (and I use that term very loosely) of some of those people, at least a good chunk of them realised that it's not Czechoslovakia anymore.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Honestly, I was expecting this exact thing after the bomber's ethnicities were revealed.

Also, this is the first time I've come across the phrase "towel head" and I wish I didn't.