If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• I am the bone of my bureaucracy,
    Agendas are my body and AOBs are my blood
    I have attended over a thousand evaluations
    Unknown to full turnouts
    Nor known to rescheduling
    Have withstood low attention spans to raise many points
    Yet these hands will never take minutes
    So as I pray, Unlimited Meeting Works
  • I don't even call it violence when it's in self defence; I call it intelligence.

The problem with utilitarianism is that no one can determine what exactly is good for the biggest amount of people, solely due to subjectivity and the humongous amount of factors that come into play. Maybe the poor would be more "prosperous" under capitalism than communism, but there's also a fuckton of negative factors that may override it. Economic prosperity doesn't mean anything in itself.

That's a problem of detail, though, of how and not what. What I see as important factor in utilitarianism is that it says "Okay, our aim is to make people's lives better", that it thus places people over principles unlike deontology. As far as I'm concerned, that is the entire purpose of ethics, to make people's lives better, and utilitarianism encapsulates this best. Which is not to say it doesn't have problems, like the definition of what's good for people, or how it might condone sacrificing people "for the greater good". But those are solvable problems; see e.g. preference utilitarianism for the first and negative utilitarianism for the latter.

In keeping with the former, I do think what's good for people, well, everybody has to decide that for themselves. And to thus to return to the topic of revolution ;) , that's a further problem in general for the idea: The people do not want revolution.

It still sounds much better than "synchronised individual wrath of a mass of individuals". :P

Granted :p But when one says "collective wrath", the way you used it, it sounded a bit apologetic. It can be used to excuse matters.

Forming and spreading the revolutionary doctrine and propaganda, although the party still doesn't have any real authority in the revolution, which should lie in the hands of worker councils, educated and politicized by the party.

That still implies a certain degree of authority, though. Not legal or executive authority, but still a form of authority. Of course so - otherwise it wouldn't be a vanguard. But if it is really supposed to be a revolution of the people, should not the people lead it? I know I said there is not "the masses" - I meant through their own representatives etc. Instead of a 'vanguard' that has kept itself *separate* by applying this term to itself.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

That still implies a certain degree of authority, though. Not legal or executive authority, but still a form of authority. Of course so - otherwise it wouldn't be a vanguard. But if it is really supposed to be a revolution of the people, should not the people lead it? I know I said there is not "the masses" - I meant through their own representatives etc. Instead of a 'vanguard' that has kept itself *separate* by applying this term to itself.

In order to have revolutionary practice you need to have revolutionary theory, which cannot be developed spontaneously. The sole role of the vanguard is to develop and spread the theory so the masses themselves could apply the practice; of course that it does imply a degree of authority, but there's nothing wrong with it in itself - it only becomes bad if there is a risk of the party taking too much power and creating a new class system. 

• I don't even call it violence when it's in self defence; I call it intelligence.

Giving the people the intellectual tools from which they then can choose? Eh I guess that works at least well enough that I'll drop this little derail now :p

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

who's Octo.

• Kichigai birthday!!
    you're mum LOL

I am Mum.

hmmm

*petitions to have username changed to Mum's The Word* 

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Super Lazuli's a mum? Congrats!

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Needs a pitchy quote, doesn't it?

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

^^ Ahahaha, thank you for providing me with that.

• No rainbow star
    Green Tea, Crispers, and Kit Kat Chunky. The breakfast of a guy who was rushed out the door champions

^^ Ahahaha, thank you for providing me with that.

you're welcome.

I will however require 85% of the humor derived from any possible usage of it in royalty fees.

Medieval law does not take royalties into account.

That was a strange sentence. 

I'm sorry, I didn't know you were typing from the medievalnet.

How's the wi-fi connection on the back of your plague-infested donkey?

Pretty sweet. It's called the "necronet" for a reason, squire. 

who's Octo.

One of the May Day Revolutionaries ;)

fivesooth

One of the May Day Revolutionaries ;)

I don't know what that means so I'll just assume you're Lil B in disguise.

bless this day, for it is based.

• edited 2013-02-26 10:43:53
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

If you ask for royalties you are a JEEEEEW

er

I mean, I tried channelling medieval too.

If anyone is wondering why Gacek's post is humorous:

Because of the similar policy wherein interest was outlawed for a time based on the idea that one could not sell time, which belonged to God, which was a policy used against Jewish business owners. Humour for historians. 

what is a Gacek.

That guy whose last post is directly north of my last post. 

• edited 2013-02-26 10:49:26
    No rainbow star
    ^^ A miserable little pile of secrets?

I went north and found this

what do

Plecotus auritus.

Brown bats, apparently. 

Try saying that ten times really quickly.