If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Ridiculous crossover fanfics that are actually good.

edited 2012-05-19 03:51:06 in Webspace

Ever found a crossover fanfiction that just sounds utterly insane by its very premise, but then you find that it's actually good?

I swear, it's the weirdest feeling ever.

Comments

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-05-19 04:46:41

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Bee beat me to it.
  • You can change. You can.

archie meets the punisher is nothing but blessed perfection

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Does The Avengers count? I mean, sure it's been established for a long time, but Joss Whedon's movie was essentially fanfiction and it was way better than any crossover has any right to be in the medium of film. And I thought the previous Marvel Universe films were good, but I wasn't really prepared for The Avengers to be so fun and enjoyable.

I've heard good things about Shinji & Warhammer 40,000, where Shinji of Evangelion fame discovers the tabletop game and uses it as influence in his giant robot battles with surprisingly well-written results, although I'm pretty sure the whole thing is tongue-in-cheek. And while not so much a crossover, Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality (if I remember the title correctly) is apparently a very funny and interesting take on the clash between the wizarding world and the muggle world. 

This is difficult for me because I don't recall ever having read fanfiction. The closest I've come is experiencing transmedia made by fans, which I would argue could count as part of the phenomenon.  

Does The Avengers count? I mean, sure it's been established for a long time, but Joss Whedon's movie was essentially fanfiction and it was way better than any crossover has any right to be in the medium of film. And I thought the previous Marvel Universe films were good, but I wasn't really prepared for The Avengers to be so fun and enjoyable.

Well, only if you consider the Justice League to be crossover fanfic (Which I guess it is once the original writers went away)

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^^I've read both of those. Neither of them are good.

Harry Potter and The Methods of Rationality is probably one of the most overrated pieces of shit I've seen, not gonna lie.

although "I had a pet rock. It died" is still damn funny.

• I'm a damn twisted person

When the premise of your book relies on an 11 year old acting like a rationalist super genius to push across your philosophy, the story itself gets tedious to the extreme. 

• Yeah, most of the "humor" boils down to some form of "HEY.  HEY.  HEY GUYS.  THIS THING FROM A FANTASY BOOK COULDN'T ACTUALLY HAPPEN."

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

There is also the undercurrent of "YOU ARE ALL IDIOTS AND I'M SMARTER THAN YOU". I could live with much of that, but the fact that this shit has legions of fanboys works to aggravate its negatives.

• Forzare: he beet me to it too.
  • Kichigai birthday!!

>That pun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL5yhZIacTE

• No rainbow star
    I find Methods of Rationality an enjoying read... (Although the human patronus that is capable of killing dementors is yeah...)
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

I admit that the dude knows how to write. Which is perhaps unfortunate, as folks don't always manage to get out quickly enough.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

>When the premise of your book relies on an 11 year old acting like a rationalist super genius to push across your philosophy, the story itself gets tedious to the extreme. 

Puh-retty much. Scooby-doo does a much better job of applying secular humanism to the supernatural anyways. MoR is far too self-congratulatory and far too smug.