If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Man in a penguin suit defeats Liberal Democrats in Edinburgh council elections

edited 2012-05-06 15:37:37 in IJAM
I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/898290-penguin-man-trumps-liberal-democrats-in-edinburgh-council-election

So just how terrible are the Lib Dems? Are they just a party that does nothing while pretending to be amazing and progressive (Democrats) or a party that fucks over everything in its path (Republicans)? 

Comments

• I guess they are closer to the Democrats.

However, they recently garnered a lot of hate, especially is Scotland, because they formed a coalition with the Tory party and then proceeded to go back on every single promise they had made.

• Champion of the Whales

So just how terrible are the Lib Dems? Are they just a party that does nothing while pretending to be amazing and progressive (Democrats) or a party that fucks over everything in its path (Republicans)?

Without the Lib Dems, the UK wouldn't be pushing to legalise Gay Marriage in 2015.

• Are they just a party that does nothing while pretending to be amazing and progressive

Since private corporate interests control most of modern politics, most Liberal/Democrat politicians have to hold back on their beliefs or they'd lose office.

• Having to be in coalition with them probably has moderated what the Tories have done in government to some extent, but personally I'll never forgive them for going into coalition with the Tories in the first place.

• No rainbow star
    I was going to make a Batman joke, but... Wow, that's... Erm, wow
  • Definitely not gay.

"I won, dood!"

• edited 2012-05-07 03:29:47
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I don't know about the parties, but perhaps it just had to do with those particular lib dems being terrible rather than a reflection of the whole party.

(reads article)

Or maybe his stance on environmentalism actually spoke to people.

• Some years ago the guy who wore the mascot suit for Middlesborough FC was elected as mayor of that town, under the mascot name - "H'angus the Monkey." IIRC, he's still the mayor (under his own name, now) - at any rate he got re-elected.

You couldn't make this up.

• They're an OK bunch, just a bit wishy-washy and in the unfortunate position of being a third party in a functional two-party system, who just got their first taste of power in about a century as the little guy in a coalition with their ideological opposites.

It's circumstance and a couple of bad decisions that fucked them over more than anything inherent to their party.