If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Let's talk about the season premiere of Young Justice.

edited 2012-04-30 02:05:01 in Media
MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

• First things first. Their Blue Beetle is terrible. I don't know why they had to take the inquisitive, intelligent, and capable Jaime Reyes and turn him into a walking stereotype with an accent that makes him sound like Cheech Marin. He says 'ese' at least twice in the same scene as though the writers couldn't think of any other way to to communicate his heritage. Jaime as his original character was set up would be perfect as a tactical advisor. His entire arc was learning to think analytically and become something a super science detective like his predecessor. Here he's just a big gun. In addition, they seem to want to make it seem like he has schitzophrenia. Anybody who knows about BB knows that he was talking to his scarab AI, which makes me wonder if Young Justice doesn't actually brief the others on their abilities, because it might be a little useful to know why your teenage Iron Man is talking to thin air. The Jaime in Brave and The Bold was also a very different character but managed to keep a basic level of spirit intact as well as being a good wish fulfillment in being the kid who gets to hang out with Batman.

• Dick Grayson is now Nightwing so we now have a new Robin in Tim Drake. This is the problem with the timeskip because it feels like there's some real stories in why YJ Dick became Nightwing, but we skip that (presumably to get to 'the good stuff') It's also pretty problematic as in YJ Dick-Robin acted more like Tim so now we have Tim-Robin acting like Damien Wayne, presumably to emulate the fantastic character interactions Dick and Damien had in Morrison's excellent Batman & Robin. I'm not holding my breath.

• The problem with this show is that it always comes down to the league. One of the virtues of Teen Titans never showing the league is that the focus was always on the teens. Here we have to waste time making up convoluted reasons for why the JL can't do things. This time, it happens to be that all of the Justice League are forbidden from entering a particular sector of space (which is weird. You'd think the Guardians of OA wouldn't take too kindly to four of their cops being on a most wanted list) and so we end up wasting time coming up with convoluted reason for why Wonder Woman can't just go in and smash shit.

• Back to Blue Beetle. I'm relatively sure this is leading to the Reach plot, which I find problematic because that's a Blue Beetle story. Blue Beetle here doesn't seem to really have the same potential for a character arc as he did in his initial comic run.

• If Zatanna's in the Justice League she should be voiced by Jennifer Hale, goddammit.

• Tim Curry as Glorious Godfrey is a stroke of genius, as is making him a Glen Beck-esque figure.

• THERE ARE TOO MANY DAMN CHARACTERS AND I BARELY KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THEM. The most characterized of the new characters are Tim-Robin (who is an asshole) and Jaime (who is a dolt) You'd think with 26 episodes they'd pace so we'd know who Bumblebee is, or that guy in the cave (I think it was supposed to be pre-accident cyborg? I think they said his name but I missed it) I mean, the first season took time to set up all the characters but this one took no time for it and just plunged us into the arc.

• Oh look, Miss Martian is dating Lagoon Boy now. It's so cute how Weisman thinks I give a crap about the romance in this show beyond wanting it to go away

• What happened to Aqualad?

• What the hell happened to Aqualad?

• WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO AQUALAD? HE WAS THE BEST CHARACTER IN THE SHOW AND THE ONLY ONE BESIDES ROBIN WITH AN ACTUAL BRAIN! His character conflict of having the mind for leadership but not the spine and being a literal fish out of water was great. Hell, it could have thrown us for a loop with Miss Martian and Aqualad bonding over feeling lonely or something. 

• This show, most of all, really needs to get over itself and get a proper identity. The entire thing seems to be stretching its base far too much. It's trying to please new fans, diehard fans, people watching for shipping, and be toyetic for kids. While Ultimate Spider-man is a worse show, it's still more memorable because it's set a tone for itself that YJ lacks since it's trying too hard to play with the big boys of the Diniverse. Weisman's managed to infuse his stories with plenty of personality before (Spectacular Spider-man in particular) but something's gone wrong here. 

Comments

• edited 2012-04-30 18:59:51

Oh look, Miss Martian is dating Lagoon Boy now. It's so cute how Weisman thinks I give a crap about the romance in this show beyond wanting it to go away

What, really? That's...not a good thing. 

I'll need to watch the episode first before I make any judgments.

...watches show...

• Okay, I don't know why Beast Boy's character design resembles Sun Wukong, but I like it. 

• Is the team a place where all teen heroes go now?

• Wonder Girl's voice is vaguely annoying. 

• Rocket is League? Is the team an internship program now?

• Five years? The hell have they been doing since those five years? We skipped a lot of development those five years. This show just lost many points. On the other hand, now I know why Zatanna is curvy now.

• I want to see Mal in action! Herald doo-doo-doo-doo doo-doooooo!

• Yeah, I'm having a lot of trouble caring about these characters. 

• I also agree that Brave and the Bold's characterization of Jaime Reyes was much better. 

• I do like the  Krolotean technology aesthetics, though. 

• The Zeta Squad is Beast Boy, Miss Martian, and Superboy? That won't be awkward. Nosiree. 

• I'm a damn twisted person

Welp. Korra and Fourze and finishing up Spectacular Spider-man should keep me content for superhero shows for a while. I figure I'll give the new YJ season a month or so to lead in before I check it out. 

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

They're all better shows.

• I wanna watch this show...but I have no cable anymore.

• It's on Youtube.

And of course, torrents.

• Malkavian: Actually, the guy in the cave is Mal Duncan, the Herald. He was in the Teen Titans too.

Huh. 

Really that just furthers my point that there are too many characters with not enough attention given to them.

I mean I'm a comic nerd and I lost track of them. How can I expect newbies to stay in check?

• Megan and Conner went to high school with Bumblebee and Mal. 

They were introduced already. But that's not good enough, for me.

Being introduced isn't the same as being established, though.

Not to mention the bull timeskip where none of it is explained.

• I still can't accept Dick Grayson in Young Justice. IT'S NOT NATURAL!

• I'm willing to give it a chance.

Green Lantern saying "We never even considered he took us off-world!" made me facepalm, though. Really, wouldn't that be the -first- thing he thought of?

^^Yeah, another thing is the voices. They're all supposed to be adults now but they still sound like they're fifteen.

• edited 2012-05-01 20:45:54
    You can change. You can.

Yeah, I get that the reason they kept the voice was so that we didn't get lost over who's who ("We" being people unfamiliar with the comics and blah blah, but still)

Anyway, this episode was really awful. The problem with the time skip is that it doesn't make sense. It's just there to justify all this swift changes to the group that don't make sense at all without giving us a justification and to show many characters suddenly joining the ranks, instead of giving them a proper introduction or characterization. Not to mention that a lot of the introduced characters just don't feel right. Tim should be a detective, relatively calm and rational to Dick's cocky acrobat, not the other way around. 

Another big problem is that the rest of the cast was just thrown away into the JLA. Up to and including Zatanna, who was probably the best character in the team outside of Robin and Aqualad

And seriously, why Barbara Batgirl. Really. There are two amazing other Batgirls to pick and you pick the one character who's much better as not Batgirl and who'd totally fit as the character at the base helping and handling the covert ops team and/or league.

On the other hand, Wonder Girl was nice. So there's that. Yay?

Yeah, Wonder Girl seemed to be the one point of the show that was really fun, even if they made Lobo a bit dull, but then again isn't that the story of Young Justice.

I still think think Tim (possibly) deliberately is being modeled after Damien, which would work if Dick was actually acting like Dick and not like Tim in the comics. (Christ this is confusing)

• You can change. You can.

Honestly, as much as I dislike Lobo for being another Deadpool of sorts, I have to say that I would have preferred that to "Dude who yells at people about being a woman in his language"

See, you know how I was complaining the other day about how Young Justice should actually strive to become its own thing with its own characterization and versions of different characters?

well, guess i don't want that anymore. 

Well, I think you do. You just want the characterizations not to suck horribly.

Also, while I see where you're coming from, Lobo predates Deadpool by a few years, made as a parody of Wolverine ripoffs. 

Also, how could you not love pacifist Space pope Lobo?

Well, I think you do. You just want the characterizations not to suck horribly.

True enough, but the thing is, if it's a choice between "Being anally accurate, even if it's slightly detrimental to the quality of the show" and...well, what we've got in this episode, well...going with anally accurate. All the way. 

Also, how could you not love pacifist Space pope Lobo?

I can and I do, but pray tell, is 52's Lobo how Lobo normally operates?

That's actually a genuine question, mind you. 

• edited 2012-05-01 21:47:51
    Lobo usually operates by killing lots of people, drinking, getting enormous amounts of sex, making one-liners, and being as traitorous as possible whilst keeping within the technical letter of his contract because he thinks it's funny.

Which to me starts being boring after the first few times, so I did love Lobo being restrained by pacifism.

It depends on the writer, honestly. His best appearances, if you ask me, were definitely 52 and his appearances in Superman: The Animated Series.

Fun fact, his first appearance in The New 52 will be written and drawn by a certain Rob Liefeld. >_<

Fun fact, his first appearance in The New 52 will be written and drawn by a certain Rob Liefeld. >_<

...no fucking way.

didn't rob liefeld die after kingdom come was published? i thought that was the sole reason it was written. as a rob liefeld killing machine

• Liefeld still gets work.

I saw him illustrate Deadpool Corps.

Still hasn't learned anything about consistency.
  • edited 2012-05-01 22:29:52
    I'm a damn twisted person

He was there at DC's new 52 relaunch drawing Hawk and Dove for Christ knows what reason. I guess it is that publishers love him since he can stick deadlines despite weak art. No wait, that's Greg Land

Liefeld actually has a strangely devoted fanbase that still exists. One prominent enough to move him to Deathstroke after Hawk & Dove was cancelled.

I can kind of see why he was popular in the nineties. His work was stylized (stylized not automatically meaning good) and different. It's the same reason Jim Lee became popular though his art is obviously superior and his art became the superhero standard for a reason.

The thing is comic books are branching out in styles slowly now. It's not as widespread as it should be, but there are artists like Capulo, Bachalo, and Immomen who have distinctive styles that are much much better.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Yeah seeing those three drawing something always makes my day. 

Bachalo's pretty great. I wish he'd stick on Wolverine & The X-men since it's tonally perfect for his art.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Liefeld actually has a strangely devoted fanbase that still exists

Wut. I don't even read comics much, and I'm still aware that Liefeld is almost as good at drawing as I am.

Hey, don't look at me. I'm certainly not one of his fans.

• HOORAY FOR AN ARBITRARY TIME SKIP!!!!! WOOOOOO!

• On the subject of Liefeld's fans. (Well, it's mostly on the subject of Ctrl Alt Del, but it discusses Liefeld's fans at the beginning.)

• The only wortwhile thing that Liar-feld ever created was Supreme, and even then it wasn't till Alan Moore and Robert Kirkman both started working on it.