If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

People who are "allergic" to certain types of content

edited 2012-04-28 23:18:18 in General
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Well, this thread was inspired by certain events, but this is a more general topic that has relevance elsewhere.

For instance, the word "game".  It used to be that my mom had a +10 to flying into a rage whenever this word was used to describe activities that I was engaged in.  Since then, oddly, she's calmed down and it's my dad who's allergic to that word now.

In general, though, the problem with people who are "allergic" to certain words or topics is that it becomes impossible to talk to them rationally about the issue.  The only solution, at least in the short run, is to just find some way to circumvent them, and should you need their help with something, you'd better figure out a way to make do without it.

Comments

• I think the most logical solution to this issue would to not be human.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

But since we are all human, I'd rather the issues in question be delegated to those people who can handle them with a level-headed approach, rather than one that's greatly tainted by intense emotional associations.

• Fitting that it starts with "People who". It's probably a good time for me to admit that family issues tend to be one of my "allergies", because for me, it's something I like to keep to myself.

I think you might be able to bypass the trigger if you elaborate well enough to make it not seem like you're using the offending words at all. 

I know I told my parents that this convention is for people who like "games and cartoons".  Which is, in fact, true.  This way I at least avoided the unfamiliar term "anime".  They also got distracted with the "games" part.

• Glenn - Please don't take this the wrong way, but I now have this completely fixed mental image of your Dad/Mum as being like the uncle in the Jackie Chan cartoon series who's always yelling at Jackie and the young girl character to stop having wacky martial-arts-style adventures and get the hell on with helping him out in his shop.

"GlennMagusHarvey Adventures."

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

^Uncle was awesome.

• "And one mooooore thing!" *smack*

/me facepalms

• edited 2012-06-05 13:32:12

My mom was just now looking at laptop computers at Best Buy.

"Here's something I've been wondering: why are some laptops so cheap and others so expensive?  What's the difference between them?"

"Well...for one, if you want to run top-of-the-line games on--"

"You're a grown-up now.  You shouldn't be playing games."

"......................"

Let's be honest here.  How many people use powerful laptops costing US$1000 and up for actually heavy computing such as complex Matlab scripts or 3D animation?

And how many people get those expensive laptops for watching movies and playing games?

• You can change. You can.

Glenn - Please don't take this the wrong way, but I now have this completely fixed mental image of your Dad/Mum as being like the uncle in the Jackie Chan cartoon series who's always yelling at Jackie and the young girl character to stop having wacky martial-arts-style adventures and get the hell on with helping him out in his shop.

Jade was her name.

• edited 2012-06-05 14:45:35
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Have you mentioned to her that the average age of someone who plays videogames is 35?

I'd also suggest telling her that it's silly to call games an inherently childish thing in a world where people get multimillion dollar salaries for being particularly good at playing with a ball.

Is that average weighted by how much gaming people at each age do?

• Champion of the Whales

>Implying gaming has a max age

Duuuuude, my dad is 50 and he still plays vidya games

• edited 2012-06-06 10:47:35
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^^Um...just by the number of people who play games at that age, I think. It's worth noting that it's only around one year lower than the overall average age in the US.

edit: crap, I edited the wrong post ~GMH

• edited 2012-06-06 10:47:26

Because I'm pretty sure kids and teens do more gaming than adults do.

Then again, I may be wrong.

Also, "plays videogames" is also different from someone who is willing to label themselves as a gamer.  The former proxy is too wide, I think, and the latter proxy is too narrow.

And I hate it when I hit "back", then hit "forward" to come back to this thread, and the post I just made isn't cached and it shows just all the posts before my lastest one, so when I as a mod hit edit...I edit the wrong post.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

The former proxy is too wide

Why?

Because my mom is complaining about my doing things like regularly discussing and debating games, games as media, game design, games as a part of the market, the game industry and its consumers and copyright and DRM issues and pricing issues, and stuff like that.

And when you talk about 50-year-olds playing games, I'm pretty sure most of them don't have this level or intensity of involvement.

I think a better way of doing this is to ask survey participants not only "do you play videogames?", but "how many hours a week do you spend playing, talking about, or otherwise thinking about videogames?".

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Well, what she said was:

So it would at least be a good rebuttal to that.