If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Kids these days want to be Batman, Spider-man, or Superman..

edited 2012-04-25 18:18:28 in General
MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

and I blame parents.

If they were better parents their kids wouldn't want to be orphans.

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

hahaha

• We have reviewed your resume' and we find you delicious.
    At least none of them want to be Moon Knight.
  • Back in Black

When I was a kid I wanted to be Abraham Lincoln.  I think that says something about my later obsession with US history...

• I'm a damn twisted person

WHen I was a kid I just wanted to be a robot. Or a dinosaur. But not a robot-dinosaur, that would just be silly.

• edited 2012-04-25 20:52:47

When I was a kid I wanted to be a knight. 

I also wanted to be a writer. And still do, incidentally. I used to write really bad Goosebumps and Choose Your Own Adventure things when I was, like, seven.

• Has friends besides tanks now

When I was a kid, I wanted to be a paleontologist. But later on, I decided that I didn't actually want to get dirty.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    When I was a kid, I really wanted to be a p...

for fucks sake, everest
  • edited 2012-04-25 20:58:02
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

When I was a kid, I wanted to be a paleontologist.

Though in my case it had more to do with the appeal of Dinosaurs wearing off.

^does this mean i'm a clone too?

• edited 2012-04-25 20:59:00
    Has friends besides tanks now

^^ oh

my

god

really

. . . I was on this planet first.

^ Join the club; apparently INUH's also in it.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I wanted to be a concert pianist.

Actually, that dream isn't out of my reach even now.  I just have to get around to doing that.

• edited 2012-04-25 21:02:36

"When I was kid, I wanted to be a paleontologist."

Same. Well, it tied with Oceanographer. I was obsessed with Bob Ballard and the Titanic when I was a kid.

• Back in Black

When I was a kid, I wanted to be a paleontologist. But later on, I decided that I didn't actually want to get dirty.

I was the same way. 

Then I discovered the US Military had fucking amazing fighter jets and I haven't looked back since.  :3

• When I was a kid, I wanted to be a bachelor. Double meaning intended.

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

When I was a kid, I wanted to be a game designer.

gave up on that dream pretty quickly, in retrospect

• When I was a kid, I wanted to be a game designer.

gave up on that dream pretty quickly, in retrospect

This.

Now I... don't want to do anything, I guess. 

• We have reviewed your resume' and we find you delicious.
    When I was a kid, I wanted to be an architect.

Because "Architect" is the coolest-sounding name for an occupation ever.
  • I also wanted to be a paleontologist when I was a kid.

This mean I'm a clone as well?

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I wanted to be archaeologist. Then a cryptozoologist. Then a writer.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

When I was a kid, I wanted to be a lot of things. It makes me feel good that I realised one dream by becoming a reasonably decent swordsman.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

When I was a kid, I wanted to be a paleontologist.

Are you guys just fucking with me? >.>

• You can change. You can.

I wanted to be archaeologist.

Me too. Admittedly, Indiana Jones was very important too.

When I was a kid, I wanted to be a lot of things.

Off the top of my head, I've wanted to be an speed racer, astronaut, knight (you shut your goddamn hellmout, alex), cowboy (i reiterate), cockpuncher and actor. 

then i realized i'm not good at anything but at hating things, so i decided to become a critic. 

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

cockpuncher

I'd imagine that hating everything would be a qualification.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

>Me too. Admittedly, Indiana Jones was very important too.

Same here. I think I wanted to be a musketeer/pirate/knight as well but even at a young age I recognized them as what they were.

• a little muffled

I wanted to be a cop at one point.

But my dream job since I was ten or so is the same as now, namely working as a Magic: the Gathering developer.

• edited 2012-04-25 21:39:09
    You can change. You can.

not designer? cuz your custom cards are pretty nifty, man. 

I'd imagine that hating everything would be a qualification.

No, I'm only allowed to hate men, if I were to become a cockpuncher, that is. I may be many things, but above all, I hate everything equally. Tis in the code of the critic. Alongside "Be as smug as you can be"

• Back in Black

Nah man, it's called motherfucking dinosaurs.  Every self-respecting little boy was absolutely in love with dinosaurs from about the age of 4 to teenagerdom, and I still think dinosaurs are amazing even if I no longer want to devote my life to studying them.  :P

• edited 2012-04-25 21:40:47
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    My dad even helped me make a shitty website about dinosaurs when I was a little kid.

^ Also that.
  • edited 2012-04-25 21:50:35
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

One thing I realised is that sometimes, while some dreams are impossible in reality (for instance, being a knight), they're not necessarily impossible in the abstract. Ergo, they can be worth shooting for in relation to personal development. Literally learning to wield a sword is cool and all, but it's also a very visceral reminder of the kind of values embodied in the "perfect knight" -- compassion, humility, wisdom, so on and so forth. So I try my best to hold to those sorts of values, and the things I do in real life and the examples I take in history and fiction try to find the best compromise possible. 

In context of internal image, a knight is a warrior gentleman of a chivalric era. I can't be that, but I can certainly examine my own views and actions and try to make them more appropriate for that archetype while also balancing that with the modern era and my own individuality. The same holds for any other example one could care to name, I think. So I don't really hold these dreams to be stupid if approached in terms of the values they represent. Someone who is stupid and poorly behaved and dresses up like a knight on the weekends as a focus for their internal dream misses the point, because that's never what the historical or fictional character was about -- a knight is first and foremost a servant of some kind of value or code. That's what really makes Batman the "Dark Knight", for instance, despite the fact he's actually a ninja detective and possibly insane. 

Anyway, I guess all this stuff is pretty silly, but that's how I feel about the value of these archetypes. Children are very sensitive to what a character concept represents, even though they're generally fed simple versions. We all have to grow up, but that doesn't mean throwing out those values wholesale, and that means those symbols still find value and application themselves. 

• edited 2012-04-26 01:54:51
    Likes cheesecake unironically.

When I was a kid, I wanted to be a policeman. And by now, I realized that the other kids were justified in laughing at me, when I said that.

But I can understand the "paleontologist" thing. Dinosaurs were the shit in the 90s, after all. I'm not sure whether Jurassic Park is the cause or a symptom, though.

• edited 2012-04-26 03:55:43
    if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

When I was five or six, I wanted to be a pirate. Then I wanted to be a scientist (preferably an evil one!), and a little later afterwards I wanted to be a general.