If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Why I love comics.

edited 2012-04-20 02:13:57 in Media
MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

• I love comics because the heroes fight for justice.

• I love comics because it shows that with willpower you can solve anything.

• I love comics because it showed me that even an android can cry.

• I love comics because it showed that even the villains have reasons for what they're doing.

• I love comics because it showed that even the son of the devil can decide what he is.

• I love comics because the nerd gets the girl.

• I love comics because the psycho gets the guy.

• I love comics because god is a crazy scottish guy who loves Batman as much as I do.

• I love comics because Elsa Bloodstone can beat a robot army with nothing but a shovel.

• I love comics because a relic from forty years can be just as important as a story that just came out.

• I love comics because Tony Stark can build things in a cave with a box of scraps.

• I love comics because nothing is more American than Captain America punching Hitler in the jaw. Not even sales drops.

• I love comics because I've used them to make friends.

• I love comics because I've used them to introduce friends to literature.

• I love comics because Doctor Who meets Captain Picard.

• I love comics because John Constantine tricked the devil into drinking holy water.

• I love comics because they taught me no one is so evil to be beyond redemption and no one so holy they cannot fall.

• I love comics because Shadowcat is adorable.

• I love comics because the last son of Krypton, the daughter of Zeus, and the world's greatest detective hang out in space.

• I love comics because the showed me that heroes suffer just like me.

• I love comics because a blind ninja, a nerd with spider powers, and a Canadian with metal claws will fight armies of ninjas.

• I love comics because Frankenstein is a secret agent that fights monsters on Mars.

• I love comics because an Italian P.I. teams up with Groucho Marx to fight zombies.

• I love comics because Zatanna is awesome.

• I love comics because Cassie Hack is awesome.

• I love comics because Buffy could never be half the monster hunter Elsa Bloodstone is.

• I love comics because the most hideous group of the Fantastic Four is also the most likable.

• I love comics because I can fly with the gods.

• I love comics because I can trawl with the dregs.

• I love comics because without them we'd never have the Avengers movie.

• I love comics because Batman can travel back in time to work with Sherlock Holmes.

• I love comics because the X-men taught me that even those who fear and hate you deserve your love.

• I love comics because the X-men taught me that you need to be the best at what you do, even if it's not pretty.

• I love comics because sometimes the monsters are the good guys.

• I love comics because 'because it's cool' is a perfectly good explanation for why there are ninjas in NYC.

• I love comics because I get to see Elric from panel to panel.

• I love comics because it's the one place Sonic The hedgehog doesn't suck.

• I love comics because when a story sucks, everyone can pretend it didn't happen.

• I love comics because the people who make comics also love comics.

• I love comics because even the bad ones aren't dull.

• I love comics because The Big Bad Wolf gets a happy ending with Snow White.

• I love comics because of the heroes.

• I love comics because of the villains.

• I love comics because of the people in-between.

• I love comics for all the reasons I forgot to list.

• I love comics for all the reasons other people like them.

• I love comics because there are shitty ones I can vent my anger on.

• Most of all, I love comics because when I thought no one cared about me and that I was alone... I knew that Superman did, I knew Spider-man did, I knew Captain America did, and I knew they'd always be there.

Comments

• I love comics because it's a mix between mediums, part video, part prose, and that it doesn't need to show you everything that happened: the gutters between the panels let your imagination fill in the blanks.

Oh, and drop-bears. I love drop-bears.
  • You can change. You can.

I love comics because of reasons

I love comics because they're art.

I love comics because above all, it's all about men and women doing something for their peers if and when they can. 

I love comics because it's about gods not underestimating men, but respecting them and helping them.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Someone's been watching moviebob. :>

I love comics because their industry is a tale of 20th century tragedy that the video game industry could use to avoid a similar fate.

goddamn i'm a downer sorry shit damn

blah blah blah sturgeon's law blah blah blah issues about publishers are what happens when capitalism controls art blah blah blah it's too late for vidya~

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

^Vidya's in a deeper state than comics ever was, really.

Also, I love comics because I'm shallow and they have sexy women.

when you say deeper you mean like...

Creatively more than financially, which is the only way that should matter to consumers.

I'd have to differ, then again, video games are a juncture at this point, and they've got stuff like Kickstarter projects on their side and such.

Hurm, either way, I just don't think the industry is doing particularly badly creatively speaking in comparison to any other industry.

• edited 2012-04-20 02:52:04
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

Economically speaking, games are going stronger than ever. 

If you wanted to make a point about creativity, then I'd be hard pressed to argue. You can say a lot about comics, but few could criticise them on the basis of lacking imagination. That said, the 90s comic crash could be partially blamed on the creatively bankrupt, follow-the-leader dark and gritty mentality that followed misinterpretations of Watchmen, so

partially ninja'd

When it comes to creativity, a lot of games have creative concepts, but they can't seem to follow it up with gameplay and that's really the relevant element here. The Batman Arkham games have been excellent examples of ninjaesque stealth gameplay borrowed from Assassin's Creed and timing-based brawl combat, but neither game had strong detective elements -- and as we know, Batman is more detective than he is ninja or fighter. 

So there's a real gap in gaming where mechanics and theme don't line up like they should. 

• edited 2012-04-20 02:54:18
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Eh, I don't feel like arguing. This was just me wanting to talk about what gives me solace.

^Breaking my rule, the crash was based on overproduction and dependence of speculation moreso than than trying to follow a Watchmen. Keep in mind, the nineties produced Spawn, Sandman, Preacher, and Youngblood all of which were high sellers despite being dark and gritty. The people who say it was just following Watchmen don't understand economics, since dark and gritty stories were in demand at the time.

Less argument, more discussion in my opinion. You know comics better than me, of course. 

Oh, I understand. But the thing is, the people who try to blame the crash on poor stories are full of shit. DC survived the sixties and seventies just fine despite consistently producing poorer product than Marvel. There was a book I read I can't remember the title of concerning the market mogul battles that crashed the market. Wish I could remember the name. A big part of the crash involved ignoring larger markets and focusing on fanatics and speculators.

Back on topic:

I love comics because they are entire dimensions that you can carry in a bag.

• I love comics because...won't you believe? That even if there's no God or no Buddha...there is Kamen Rider. (yes, it's a manga based on a Japanese superhero TV show. It's still comics to me, goddamnit.)

I love comics because you're stronger than you think.

I was referring more to the creative downturn than an economic one. After all, dark and gritty might have sold well amongst dedicated fans who were growing up and were looking for, at least superficially, more adult stories. No doubt they sold well to that market. But that ignores bringing in new consumers, too. And comic continuity has always been a barrier between the medium and more mainstream media, so I can see how comics might have converged into a handful of well-selling series aimed at established fanbases while alienating potential fans, especially younger ones or those less interested in sex and brutal violence. 

Essentially, what video games are doing now, sorta. Much like manga have been a salvation for the comic book format appeal, though, I believe Japanese games are essentially preventing the video gaming mediium from going down the same path by providing diversity and broader appeal. Especially Nintendo, whose comeback can largely be attributed to monopolising the younger video game fanbase while retaining the fans they had back in the day. 

I love comics because no matter how dark the night, there is no hiding place for evil.

>I was referring more to the creative downturn than an economic one.

Sure, and in that case games are worse than comics in the nineties. Say what you will, but it was time of unfettered potential. Certainly, the potential was wasted in some circumstances but these were stories people wanted to tell. For all the sins, the nineties are what allowed John Constantine, Jesse Custer, Morpheus, and hell our conception of Batman to flourish. (Keep in mind that the nineties event Knightfall solidified a lot of our modern conceptions of Batman) 

Games seem to going in more of a hollywood turn, (AAA ones natch) moving from one trend to another.

Also

I love comics because Living vampires are better than regular ones.

• I love comics because I fell into the magic potion when I was a baby.

I love comics becaus-Great Scott! Is that the jewel-thief? C'MON SNOWY!

I love comics because GREATER YANG FIST!
  • I love comics because Lincoln has a time machine that he uses to stop Stalin from spreading communism across the cosmos, and his sidekick is JFK.

Games have been that way for most of this decade, even as shortly as a year or so ago, but the prominence of things like Kickstarter and creative talent expanding into Europe and, shortly after, other continents might help with that. The publisher model probably isn't going anywhere any time soon, but the fact that there are other options, as well as the likes of Valve's support for indie titles and old favourites paints a potentially strong future for the medium. 

That said, we've been ignoring webcomics in this thread. Admittedly, I don't read them often, but the internet as a free means of distributing private creative content might have drawn talent away from the comics industry proper. The fact that more prominent webcomics have been published says a lot about how comics might continue to change and be distributed in the future. 

So, I suppose I love comics because anyone can make it happen. 

• edited 2012-04-20 03:35:23
    You can change. You can.

I love comics because they can create new myths. Because when evil's gaze turns to humanity, humanity's allowed to gaze back.

I love comics because they're not about suffering, they're about survival.

And, well, aren't all stories about survival? The ones worth telling, anyway.

^The best I can say about webcomics is that I love them because this is where a man can reach peace with his father and then claiming he sucks. Even though he's big boss.

In the same vein, I love webcomics because Liechtenauer survives in a quasi-magical academy of advanced technology and traditional folklore. 

• I'm a damn twisted person

I love comics because of hobo detectives who stir shit up.

I love comics because even a hipster dork can be a great superhero.

I love comics because PLATO SMASH!

I love comics because they will shamelessly take things from public domain and pop culture and make something interesting.

I love comics because of shared universes.

I love comics because of the crazy premises.

I love comics because of TETSUOOO!

I love comics because of KANEEEDA!

I love comics because the only visual constraint is what the artist can draw.

I love comics because I love pretty pictures.

I love comics because I love quotable oneliners and speeches. 

I love comics because only in comics, a chair leg can be the holder of all wisdom and truth in the universe

I love comics because even when it's about a good guy and a bad guy beating the tar of each other, someone comes and break the cycle and proposes something different

I love comics because even when the cycle is broken, it can be reborn, with a more meaningful drive to it than the rage of gods and fear of men.

>ames have been that way for most of this decade, even as shortly as a year or so ago, but the prominence of things like Kickstarter and creative talent expanding into Europe and, shortly after, other continents might help with that. The publisher model probably isn't going anywhere any time soon, but the fact that there are other options, as well as the likes of Valve's support for indie titles and old favourites paints a potentially strong future for the medium. 

>Pretending the webcomic model hasn't existed and flourished for much longer than the webgame model.

I love comics because myths are solid enough to be a story but fluid enough to belong to those that love it.

• I love comics because of golden-haired girl demigoddesses and their grey-haired sinister uncles.

I love comics because it's a strange world, and there are people who keep it that way.

I love comics because a man who finds things and eats sin can find himself a place to just be, and go on a diet.

I love comics because a king of cats also needs generals.

I love comics because all story-tellers need talismans.
  • JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

I love comics because of their near-infinite potential for glorious insanity.