If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"She rejected his public marriage proposal in front of hundreds of people? What a bitch!"

edited 2012-04-13 14:16:28 in General

Stuff like this:

replete with comments of "omg what a bitch she humiliated him in front of all those people".

Oh sure, and she's not embarrassed at all, being asked a life-changing question and having all the pressure put on her, the pressure of hundreds of people with no idea what their relationship is like, booing her when she tells him honestly that she can't accept. Yeah, poor guy that brought her out in front of everyone.

Equally infuriating are the remarks like "she should have accepted in public and rejected him later to avoid embarrassing him", what the hell? How is that even remotely acceptable, to pretend to say yes to someone's marriage proposal? That just toys with the guy's heart more, and besides, if he's going to subject her to the pressure of hundreds of strangers that'll boo her for saying no, I don't see why she should have to worry so much about embarrassing him.

If she says yes, he's got a wife and hundreds of cheers. If she says no, she's booed and admonished by those same people, who are all blindly sympathetic to the "poor guy that got rejected".

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Yeah, I never understood that either. Doing a proposal like that is a complete dick move.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Aside from annoying head games like this, is there ever a reason to propose in public? Or in front of other people in general? You are asking your hypothetical spouse to get married, not what a bunch of people think about it.

• edited 2012-04-13 14:37:21

It probably was pretty crushing for him, but really, why did he think most people ask in private? Being told "no" is always possible.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Aside from annoying head games like this, is there ever a reason to propose in public? Or in front of other people in general? You are asking your hypothetical spouse to get married, not what a bunch of people think about it.

• edited 2012-04-13 14:57:45
    I'm a damn twisted person

Yes, that's what I said Alex. Are you agreeing with me or refuting me 4chan style by just quoting me? Because if it's the second one you could at least green text it and parse it down to the bits you find moronic.

It's standard IJBM procedure for "I concur". 

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Pretty much standard internet procedure for "I concur," in my experience. When it's 4chan-style refuting, it's done with the whole angle bracket, greentext, parsing, etc. thing you said.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Yeah, this seems tied to the idea that certain actions means that the woman 'owes' the man something. They onlookers see it as some big romantic comedy moment rather than any of the details of something. How could you turn down someone who does something so big and romantic? 

It's similar I think to the idea that women need to go and talk to the person who bought it, which is nonsense. If someone gives you a gift, it does put an imposition on you. Otherwise it's not a gift: it's prostitution.

Oh. Okay then. So this is what consensus feels like.

• You can change. You can.

It's supposed to be blah blah blah romantic and "HEY, GUYS, THIS IS THE WOMAN I LOVE AND I COULD GIVE A SINGLE FUCK ABOUT WHAT YOU THINK" as well as "LOOK AT HER BOOBS. THESE ARE THE BOOBS I'LL BE SQUISHING 4 LYFE" 

I don't have to denote how fucking stupid it is, do i

• You remind me of those aliens who don't know what love is until the end of the movie, when much "awws" are had by all.

• edited 2012-04-13 15:12:32
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

^^You know this is completely the impression I get about Paul W.S. Anderson toward Mila Jovovich in every movie he makes.

^THIS CONCEPT OF 'WUV' CONFUSES AND INFURIATES US!

Being in love is no excuse to be a stupid jerk! Or to be massively impractical -cough cough most weddings-

You remind me of those aliens who don't know what love is until the end of the movie, when much "awws" are had by all.

I know love! I just don't feel it.

• edited 2012-04-14 01:03:55
    I'm a damn twisted person

• edited 2012-04-13 15:16:52

^^ So tsundere.

• We have reviewed your resume' and we find you delicious.

Mawwage.

Mawwage ith wot bwingth uth toogeva. Today.

• edited 2012-04-13 15:18:41
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

Being in love is no an excuse to be a stupid jerk!

Fixed. 

A little foolishness goes with the territory, really. 

Well, yeah, but only be stupid towards yourself, not towards other.

^^ So tsundere.

you're a captain. 

you're not supposed to use that word

• "Oh sure, and she's not embarrassed at all, being asked a life-changing question and having all the pressure put on her, the pressure of hundreds of people with no idea what their relationship is like, booing her when she tells him honestly that she can't accept. Yeah, poor guy that brought her out in front of everyone." 

This ties in nicely with a discussion we were having in IJBMer Updates about how we don't know what goes on in other people's lives, so who are we to judge?

This particular case is also why I find the possessive nature of relationships so unsettling. Really, she should be free to exercise her own free will and honesty really is the best policy. But then again, I cannot comprehend romantic relationships.

• You remind me of those aliens who don't know what love is

It's possessiveness writ large- what's not to get?

vonBerlichingen, I don't think anyone here operates under the illusion that cynicism is a strong substitute for wisdom, knowledge or insight. 

• vonBerlichingen, I don't think anyone here operates under the illusion that cynicism is a strong substitute for wisdom, knowledge or insight.

A straw man, an appeal to popular opinion, and just the faintest hint of ad hominem, all in the same breath.

Bravo.

Berli.

Chill the fuck out.

• edited 2012-04-13 17:55:25
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

A straw man, an appeal to popular opinion, and just the faintest hint of ad hominem, all in the same breath.

Bravo.

Do you have anything to discuss, or is your intent to prove your erudition and superiority? I hold nothing against you personally, but all I saw from your initial post was an attempt at an objective conclusion to a subjective experience. If all you've got for us is haughtiness and sarcasm, then there's nothing left to speak about here; if you have some kind of evidence for your thoughts based on empirical observation, then you ought to submit it. 

• ^^^ I see no straw man there.
  • Kichigai birthday!!

@Crake Just post the video's url

and make sure to break it so it's not a link.

• Juan - This is just one of many ways in which I have been corrupted by TVTropes. You just can't unsee those tropes...

• Why pull this off if you aren't sure of the answer she'll give anyway? Even if you don't give two shits about pressuring the other, why would you take the risk of public humiliation if it goes wrong?

I do think a marriage proposal sort of needs a grandiose gesture or cute timing, since it's a symbolic and aesthetical thing in itself, but this screen proposal style seem so overused as to make it completely impersonal(unless of course they're both sports fans).