If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Alkthash recommends you a comic book

Comments

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

Have you read Transmetropolitan?

• I'm a damn twisted person
    Thenamelesssamurai - I've never actually talked to you so I'm wary of recommending based on just avoiding superheroes. Tell me some stuff you like to give me a better idea what to shout at you.

Lai - try Atomic Robo. It is a comic that screams adventure and rushes off to do just that, but it manages serious well, especially when it reflects how the main character, Robo, has lived through most of the 20th century.

I'll toss out Chew, which is silly in the sense of being a buddy cop comic in a bizarre world where food based psychic powers seem to be common.
  • edited 2012-07-07 01:03:37

Well, I have a fondness for film noir and westerns, so do you know of any comics that have either of those (discounting Sin City, already read that)?

• You can change. You can.

Fatale is cool Noir and Desperadoes is amazing horror western.

• edited 2012-07-09 07:55:41
    There is love everywhere, I already know

>Malk reccommends Brightest Day

Hmm, this looks intere-

>There are like seventy comic books counting tie-ins and story additions

Anything smaller? Like ten issues or something?

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    The current Batman run is very good. It's at ten issues so far, and being a new 52 title is specifically intended as a jumping-on point.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know

TO THE BOOKSTORE

I'm still going to try and get as much of Brightest Day as possible though, I don't see Aqualad in anything else...

What about not DC comics?

If you want Marvel stuff then I would recommend Big Time as Malk pointed out.

If you want non-Big Two stuff then I recommend Planetary, Static, Fatale, Priude of Baghdad and, well, a lot more, really.

Any non-fantastical setting stuff?

I probably won't be able to get the non-Big 2 stuff unless I special order it though.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Isn't Static owned by DC now? 

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

So, any good jumping-on points for, say, the Blue Beetle?

Also, are there any good comic reader sites?

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    For the latter, I use Comixology.

I normally just use /rs/, provided you are willing to be illegal as fuck.

Isn't Static owned by DC now?

It was always a DC property, it's just that it was published under the Milestone imprint (Kinda like Vertigo)

So, any good jumping-on points for, say, the Blue Beetle?

If you mean Jaime Reyes, then Blue Beetle Vol.8 issue 1 is the way to go (Yeah, I know, there have been way too many Blue Beetle volumes)

If you mean Ted Kord (My personal favourite BB and DC hero) then I'd recommend the 80s Justice League /Broken record

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Essex County is good non fantastic stuff. You'd be surprised to find out it's by the same guy who wrote Frankenstein, Agent of S.H.A.D.E.

• edited 2012-07-10 01:01:06
    I'm a damn twisted person

TheNamelessSamurai - Of course you would want recs on stuff I'm not terribly familiar with in comics. Oh well I'll give it my best shot.

For Westerns the best I can toss out for you are the Serenity Comics(with the caveat that you liked Firefly). All they really are are a series of oneshots and character pieces for the crew of the Serenity set at various points before the movie. The standout one is the story revealing Book's past, told in reverse order. 

You may want to give All Star Western, DC's newest take on Jonah Hex a shot. Sure it is technically set in the DC universe, but it is more a pulpy Western story than anything. And the hilarious dynamic between gruff Hex and timid egotistical Arkham.

American Vampire starts off with a horror western story when it starts off, telling of Skinner Sweet's origins as the first member of the american vampire subspecies.

And there are also the adaptations/expansions of Stephen King's Dark Tower books, which are a kind of mythic Western I guess.

I hate myself for saying this, but you may want to give Preacher a shot. For all it's many, many, many faults, it is a love letter to Westerns and John Wayne style macho swagger. No seriously, avoid Preacher like the fucking plague. 

For Noir stories, well normally I would toss out various Batman and Daredevil stories that flirt with noir, but you wanted to avoid super hero stories, so here is what I've got.

-The classic Road to Perdition books. 

-Potter's Field: Mark Waid's story of a mysterious detective calling himself John Doe who works to solve the cases of those who died unresolved deaths and were buried in the Potter's field cemetery. 

-The adaptation of Richard Starks Parker books, where a hardboiled theif works to get revenge on those who have wronged him.

Now this last thing is just a personal, you might find this neat sort of thing, but you might want try Elk's Run. A story of what happens when things go to hell in a purposefully isolated town built on ideological grounds. 

I hate myself for saying this, but you may want to give Preacher a shot. For all it's many, many, many faults, it is a love letter to Westerns and John Wayne style macho swagger. No seriously, avoid Preacher like the fucking plague.

I have complicated feelings regarding Preacher, but overall, I never felt like I entirely wasted my time reading it, so I say you should give it a try and ignore Alk. 

and no, alk, don't make me fight you over this

again

last time we even destroyed wisconsin

Juan - That was Earth-38 Wisconsin. Earth 38 is just a bag of dicks anyways man.

Fourteenwings

Okay first things first. Brightest Day is a terrible jumping in points for comics. It is less a story and more various people who were brought back to life doing things that were all related in a bullshit "just as planned" sort of way.

Good Jumping on points.

DC

-The volume 8 Blue Beetle run

-The New 52 runs for 

- - Batman

- - Animal Man

- - Swamp Thing

Marvel

- Thor: The Mighty Avenger

-The Spider-man Arc "Big Time"

-Runaways

-Avengers Academy

-Iron Man: Extremis

And yeah, there is so much out there I could go on for ages about non super hero stuff that is worth taking a look at but I'll just stick to the non-fantastic stuff requirement.

At first I had a little trouble with that request because I immediately thought on Daniel Clowes and folks like him who are determined to make comic as banal and depressing as possible. I can understand the motivation really. A counter reaction to super heroes and fantasy and over the top things. So they dialed it down and focused comics and the regular and the fallible regular folks. Except not really, sinc these stories turned into misanthropic wankfests more than anything.

But yeah, I digress. I might as well toss out non fantastic stuff that is pretty cool.

-Logicomix - it doesn't get more non fantastic than a biography comic about the life of Bertrand Russell and his personal quest to discover the logical foundations of mathematics. It's a shame there aren't more edutainment comics like this out there, that show just how interesting the lives of historical people were, unencumbered by a sets of dates and locations. 

-Bitches Love Spider-man Spider-man Loves Mary Jane - yes I know it is a comic with superhero characters, but at the end of the day, it is a Shojou manga style comic about Mary Jane's life through high school.

- Daytripper - Imagine if Kenny from South Park was a Brazillian guy named Brás. Or rather it's a question about how do you tell which day is the most important day of your life.

- Asterios Polyp - Watch as an asshole architecture professor obsessed with duality tries to figure out how he fucked up his life. It's a very well put together book and has an ending that will probably make you yell.

Any non-fantastical setting stuff?

Maus is pretty damn good. 

Also, Love and Rockets. 

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

I'm partial to Grant Morisson oneshot Kill Your Boyfriend.

but I should warn you that there is literally not a single likable character in that comic. So read at your own peril. 

• I'd say The Arrival, but it only has a fantastic aesthetic while keeping entirely grounded in real-life experiences and travails.

Still, it's glorious in its own way.

So question time - has anybody followed up with any of the recommendations?

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I'll get to Locke & Key at some point, I promise.

I managed to get most of the issues of the New 52 runs, a couple Runaways and Avengers Academy for pretty cheap (Seems not a lot of people read comics anymore...) and finished Batman #1, I like it.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

You got Runaways? Sweet.

It's that good?

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I dunno about it being that good, but it's certainly my favourite comic series of all time. It also chooses to focus on the characters rather than the plot, and does it well.

It also gave us Molly punching Wolverine through a church.

• edited 2012-07-10 08:28:58
    There is love everywhere, I already know

Molly punching Wolverine through a church

Please tell me that's in volumes 1, 2 or 4...

Do I need to buy the Civil War issues?

I read what I'm pretty sure is all of what's been released of Runaways so far, and I didn't notice anything that sucked so badly I'd recommend you didn't read it.

• Alkthash: I'm downloading Mouse Guard right now. Siegfried is a little harder than that.

Fourteenwings: The Runaways/Young Avengers tie-ins are good (There are two: Secret Invasion and Civil War)

I also recommend you skip Terry Moore's run where he pretty much fucks up everything in the book.

But yeah, when Runaways is sweet, it is pretty damn sweet. 

Also, Alkthash: I read Fantastic Four until that issue with the thing and kinda forgot about it. Still hafta catch up but otherwise, yeah, it's probably one of my favourite things on earth.