If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Adult Fans of Kid's Stuff, That Expect The Kid's Stuff To Cater To Them.

edited 2012-04-10 06:00:38 in General

Shamelessly taken from my Tumblr!

What?! A children’s cartoon is catering it’s story and content to appeal to children? SAY IT ISN’T SO! 

Look, there’s nothing wrong with watching kids stuff, whatever you do in your own free time is really your business and I do occasionally watch the first Pokemon movie or the odd episode of Digimon now and there but complaining that a show made entirely for children is appealing to what grown up fans want is just ridiculous. 

I’d be like complaining that your bed isn’t strong enough to support the weight of your pet hippo. I mean, you’re more than welcome to TRY and get your hippo onto a bed, and more power to you if you have fun doing it, but it’s no use complaining when it doesn’t work.

Look the Pokemon cartoon is made to fulfill a specific purpose; it’s job is to attract children to a range of toys and games and make money for Nintendo, and for that it works. It’s a genuinely entertaining show that’s able to appeal to children in an admittedly mature way (such as the early seasons where Ash has to let go of Butterfree and Charizard and learns to respect Pikachu as a person).  What it is NOT an ongoing drama featuring the growth of a young boy to a man, maybe when the series finishes you’ll get the closure you crave, but don’t count on it.

If you want a more adult experience from Pokemon try the Pokemon Special comic series or the surprisingly deep games. Not the children’s cartoon.

In short; get the fuck over it, you are welcome to enjoy the show but it’s not for you.

Comments

• It's still reasonable to expect some quality since Pixar and Studio Ghibli manage to appeal to everyone despite being targeted towards kids. Honestly, there are far worse examples of fandom entitlement you could have picked.

• edited 2012-04-10 10:06:45

But the fact that there isn't much plot progression (referring to Pokemon in particular, of course) isn't because the series is of poor quality, but because the people who watch it aren't actually meant to watch all 600+ episodes of it.  It's a long-running series, and it's meant to constantly be gaining new viewers and losing old ones, so the fact that the series never really covers new ground isn't actually a problem at all for 99% of its viewers, and in fact is probably a good thing.

• I thought this was going to be about MLP.

• ^^Yeah, I guess so. I often confuse "children" with "all ages" in terms of demographic. 

• No rainbow star

Honestly though, they've shown other characters get older and move on to other things, which makes Ash being a perpetual kid kind of odd (then again, I haven't watched it in ages so meh)

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

^^^ Haha, me too.

^ Ash is an elf.

• You can change. You can.

Honestly though, they've shown other characters get older and move on to other things, which makes Ash being a perpetual kid kind of odd (then again, I haven't watched it in ages so meh)

Ash's hardly the first case of a character not aging, and honestly, if I've noticed anything is that the longer something is, the less likely it is for its characters to age in-story. 

• edited 2012-04-10 13:30:48
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Ash's hardly the first case of a character not aging, and honestly, if I've noticed anything is that the longer something is, the less likely it is for its characters to age in-story. 

Unless it's Doctor Who.

Doctor Who is the exception to a lot of stuff, though, like how British TV shows are short, unless they're Doctor Who.

• edited 2012-04-10 13:42:02
    You can change. You can.

Wait, I'm dumb.

• ^^ You can thank the writers for coming up with the whole regeneration bit to make that happen. It's definitely the most clever method I've seen for keeping a series alive.

• edited 2012-04-10 14:12:34
    No rainbow star
    Juan, the issue is that other characters that were around his age DID get older. It's just... Come on, if Misty is in her 20's now, then you should age Ash a bit

Instead, they made him look younger. Pokemon is the only cartoon I can think of that has selective aging for no reason
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I thought Misty's just a teenager.  Brock was always "that older, young-adult-age guy" and the way he's drawn he could be anywhere from a mature 15-year-old (from a 10-year-old's perspective) to a 26-year-old.  Wait, isn't Brock long gone anyway?

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Apparently he's still coming and going.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I'm pretty sure that Misty is still the same age as Ash in the anime.
  • Champion of the Whales

Doctor Who is the exception to a lot of stuff, though, like how British TV shows are short, unless they're Doctor Who.

Thats not strictly true

Coromation Street has been around since the 60's and thats on 4 evenings a week man.

But I'd say that in my probably biased opinion that more American tv shows fail to make it past the 1st series than British shows but its just more noticeable for British shows as their series last like 13 episodes whereas an American series is 24 episodes long

• a little muffled

Soap operas don't count as real shows.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-04-10 16:16:01

Yeah Misty hasn't shown up since Battle Frontier.

^^ Ugh.  I can't even imagine series regularly calling it quits after 13 episodes.  That's like, barely enough time to establish a coherent mythos, much less start exploring episodes' worth of it and building a greater arc.  Two seasons of 20-some episodes already feels too short.

• edited 2012-04-10 16:16:32
    Champion of the Whales

What about Being Human and Merlin?

edit: ^ Being Human only lasts for 8 shows a series and it works because there isn't any filler at all.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I like series that are short and sharp; probably why I enjoy anime. A more focused, cohesive plot that resolves in a handful of episodes is my bread and butter, mythos be damned. Shows that tell their stories well and use the medium to full advantage should allow the audience to pick up the mythos via osmosis. Game of Thrones is a good example; we're sort of told what the Night's Watch are, but the real explanation comes through direct observation. 

I mean, if you've got elements of the mythos that don't show up in the show, why are those things in the mythos to begin with? Unless it's transmedia, in which case it could be an awesome move; see the scientific drama of the TV show, play the vampire hunter in the video game or whatever. 

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-04-10 16:29:54

I guess my problem with it is that a short miniseries feels like a modestly extended movie.  Half the point of a series is to be able to go smelling roses.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I understand that, but a series can always be extended with further seasons. There doesn't even really need to be a compromise; every X amount of episodes can be its own arc. Could be ten, twenty, but hopefully not much more. The issue a series always faces, though, is cohesion, and a popular show that overextends itself might end up needing to provide much more material than it initially intended to. 

Quality over quantity, basically. 

• I guess another of the main disconnects here is that typically speaking around here, the focus is usually more on episodes as standalone things with the main arc being more of a context, rather than setting out to tell a 10-hour story that gets broken up wherever the commercial breaks happen to land.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

I find it somewhat intriguing that madass equated anime with self contained "short" shows when most anime are a bunch of long running merchandise driven shows. Other than that, I have no inmediate preference. 

• edited 2012-04-10 16:50:59
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    That's not true. The most successful and best-known ones are, but they're in the minority.
  • You can change. You can.

^^ Ugh. I can't even imagine series regularly calling it quits after 13 episodes. That's like, barely enough time to establish a coherent mythos, much less start exploring episodes' worth of it and building a greater arc. Two seasons of 20-some episodes already feels too short.

British Episodes are about fifteen minutes longer. Multiply that for thirteen and the difference in terms of footage quantity is not as far as you might think. 

• edited 2012-04-10 17:00:05
    He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

The sheer volume of half-finished adaptations will surely make more shows to be "short" ones, but not for a lack of trying to make them into cashcows.

• No rainbow star
    I'm pretty sure Misty showed a gain in age in the Chronicles side anime, and May definately grew up as well
  • BeeBee
    edited 2012-04-10 17:35:35

Nope.  Both of them looked the same in their reappearances aside from a costume change.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Oh cool. You have a tumblr, Conductor. (follows)

• >I thought this was going to be about MLP.

Me too. And I was gonna be like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNI2EznJEMI