If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Are people responsible for what they did not do?

edited 2012-03-29 00:07:28 in Philosophy

"To see what is right and not do it is want of courage or principle." - Confucius

A classic ethics question, one very closely connected to the bystander effect. That considered, I do believe that yes, if you see what is right and don't do it, you are guilty of the consequence of your inaction. After all, bullies crave an audience, and just by spectating your provide it. Like I said about the infamous Cross Assault incident, doing nothing implicitly accepts widespread and common things such as sexual harassment.

Of course, we don't always know if a choice is right or not, and thus have no idea whether abstaining from action is going to lead to problems down the line. People often have no control over the actions of others and taking action can be pointlessly dangerous or even counterproductive. And I guess some people just don't know better. In those cases, one can't fault inaction, though in the case of ignorance, if it persists into wilful ignorance, then it's dodging responsiblity. But there are plenty of obvious cases where you can and should stand up for the rights of others.

As a side note, I find it interesting that Quebec has a law that requires people to take responsibility for helping people in peril, acknowledging of course that only if it's safe to do so. 

Comments

• You can change. You can.

What if you're incapable of performing what's right?

• edited 2012-03-29 00:13:12

I covered that.

"People often have no control over the actions of others and taking action can be pointlessly dangerous or even counterproductive."

Though I guess determining whether one really is capable of doing the right thing is another complicated justice issue. 

Well, I was thinking not of inability of discerning what's right, but inability to perform the deed, but I guess it's hardly that relevant.

• edited 2012-03-29 00:18:54

Ah. Sorry for not explaining better. Is an example of that trying to defend someone directly when it wouldn't actually help and would only put yourself in harm's way? Or seeing someone suffering in a faraway place and not having any contact with them?

the second one is the most fitting one to what I have in mind, yeah. 

• Yeah, there isn't anything you can do in that case. Guilt isn't a rational emotion though.