If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Sexism in gaming

edited 2012-03-09 10:34:59 in General

"Those are jokes and if you were really a member of the fighting game community, you would know that. This is a community that's, you know, 15 or 20 years old, and the sexual harassment is part of a culture, and if you remove that from the fighting game community, it's not the fighting game community—it's StarCraft." - Aris Bakhtanians

Simply put, people like this make gamers look really fucking terrible, and them being a vocal minority is not an excuse. By letting the bystander effect take over rather than kicking these assholes out, we choose to let them represent us as a whole.

Comments

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

The context is what makes it infinitely times worse:

This footage, shot on February 23 and brought to our attention today by an anonymous tipster, shows Bakhtanians shooting some lewd remarks at fellow gamer Miranda "Super_Yan" Pakozdi. He takes control of the camera and spends a whole lot of time focusing it on Pakozdi, who appears to be the only woman in the room. He focuses on her butt and breasts, shooing people away when they block his view. He also makes some comments about her feet and thighs that may seem out of line to, well, anybody.

Later in the video, Bakhtanians moves over to Pakozdi and starts talking to her while she plays the game. She is visibly uncomfortable. After a minute or so, she says she has to go to the bathroom.

Sounds like a pleasant guy.

• Bakhtanian confirmed for overweight neckbeard. He really ticks all the stereotype boxes, doesn't he?

• LaiLai
    edited 2012-03-09 21:19:07
    Oh hi fighting game "community". You give me more reason to dislike you.

Bad thing is I actually saw Aris at my local arcade, but that was before this happened.
  • My arms are falling off!

The scary part? I actually know Miranda. Granted, I don't talk to her, I only run into her at the arcade from time to time, but to see someone I know personally be caught up in this garbage makes it hit closer to home.