If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Google Chrome is the most popular web browser in the world...

edited 2012-03-22 16:21:08 in Webspace
I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

...on Sundays. The rest of the week, enough people boot up their work computers for Internet Explorer to overtake it.

So it seems that if Google actually wants to win the Browser Wars®, they'll have to get offices to stop using fucking Internet Explorer. Good luck with that.

Comments

• I've spent enough time in the IT threads on SA to understand why IE is the preferred browser for corporate environments so this does not surprise me. There are many things Chrome needs to do to have better acceptance at the workplace but the first is to install into program files like almost every other program.

• My arms are falling off!

Fuck Chrome's Omnibox for failng to search my browsing history half the time, as well as the removal of official vert tabs for no good reason. I'll stick to Firefox (for now), even if it's the Minecraft of browser performance.

Personally, I think work computers, as well as school and library computers, should make Firefox, Chrome, and/or Opera available browsers, and tuck away IE in super-discreet folder or make it admin-only.

• Firefox's Awesomebar seems to be far better than similar features in other browsers, and it is the only browser that has a non-ridiculous way of opening tabs (i.e. it opens tabs next to the current one, but also keeps it so that newer tabs are further to the right when opening many tabs at once).

Unfortunately, the fact that it still has memory leaks and general poor performance mean I don't use it nearly as much as I want to. 

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

What is Awesomebar?

• edited 2012-03-22 22:27:32

The address bar, typing into which also searches through the titles and tags of your history and bookmarks, as opposed to just the URL.  Of course, that's a standard feature for web browsers now (I think.  At least, I know Opera tried to copy it), but in any case it seems that Firefox's implementation is a lot better about returning what I'm actually looking for than other browsers' implementations of it.

Oh, that.

To be honest, I sometimes use it, while telling myself I shouldn't and that I should rely at most on remembering the URLs themselves.

I kinda hate the whole "don't remember phone numbers because they're all in your address book" thing, even though I admit I do it.

• No rainbow star
    The only reason I keep using Firefox (7 at that - newer versions crash for me) is due to how it displays tabs, and AdBlock+

It keeps a reasonable amount of the title in the tabs visible and it allows you to scroll through them instead of having to click something then go through a large list. Also, when it crashes or I shut off the laptop, it saves the session

The only other browser that handles tabs in a way I find reasonable is Opera, but it also has issues =/

If there was a plugin that allowed Chrome to save the session and display tabs like Firefox does, I'd switch in a heartbeat
  • I like Opera's tab recycle bin feature.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Chrome has an adblocker too now though.

• I find that ironic.

• No rainbow star

^^ Still doesn't solve the tab and session issue

If you're wondering why the tabs getting smaller is an issue:

I have 70 tabs open in this window. Chrome makes them so small that I can't tell which is which

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Your session thing...isn't true.

As for tabs, there are like twenty different addons that change how they're displayed.

• edited 2012-03-23 00:38:08
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Yeah, Chrome saves the session when my laptop crashes, and Chrome isn't affected at all by me closing my laptop lid (except for, you know, videos stop playing and such)

• No rainbow star

^^ , ^ Are you sure? Does it save all the windows from the session? If so, then my brain is stupid

And getting those addons right away. If even one copies Firefox closely enough, then :D

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Yes, it saves all the windows from the session. It happened twice yesterday.

• I'm a damn twisted person

I have 70 tabs open in this window. Chrome makes them so small that I can't tell which is which

If you have 70 tabs open at once I would say the problem lies somewhere between the keyboard and the chair, not within the browser itself.

• No rainbow star

^ Yes I have a problem. So I must have a browser that will feed the problem instead of force me to limit it

>.> <.<

• Never used Chrome so I have no clue what's it like.

• What conceivable reason could you have for opening that many tabs? 

My typical browser session has my Facebook and what ever other website I'm on open.

When I'm working on my Atlas to the Omniverse, I'll have around 20 open because I need to grab some information from each page.

Why anyone would need SEVENTY is just...beyond me.

• Has friends besides tanks now

I occasionally get up to 40+, and I think that's ridiculous.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Going above 10 is wasteful, the computer can have virtually unlimited ram, but the human mind doesn't, keeping track of what you are doing in every tab is just not possible.

• You can change. You can.

I used to go up to twenty-ish tabs, but by now I've learned to leave it at 4-5ish

• Browsers that aren't Chrome have features for making it easier to keep track of what you're doing with your tabs though.  Firefox has its Panorama thing, where you can create a bunch of different... workspaces, I guess... of tabs, and switch between them easily.  And Opera has tab stacks, that allow grouping related tabs together.

Although I guess there might be extensions for Chrome that do something similar to either of those. 

I like my Tab Mix Plus on Firefox.  I can make tabs display on multiple lines with fixed width for each of them, rather than a gigantic bunch of tabs that have to scroll right/left on the tab bar to get to.

Is there a way to get Opera to NOT have this Alt+Tab-like box for tabs management, but instead let me just move to the next tab to the right when I hit Ctrl+Tab (and left if Ctrl+Shift+Tab), the way Firefox works?

> Firefox has its Panorama thing, where you can create a bunch of different... workspaces, I guess... of tabs, and switch between them easily.

Why wouldn't you just use different windows?

• I used to do with around 15 tabs or so. Getting out of that habit was well worth it.

I use Tree-Style Tabs on Firefox. It neatly groups tabs by source tab. Personally on a widescreen monitor, I think vert tabs look nicer than horizontal ones. I don't like my pages looking totally fat or having lots of empty space (i.e. on Tumblr dashboard pages).

DYRE 2012-03-23 08:18:45 Permalink Flag

Although I guess there might be extensions for Chrome that do something similar to either of those.

There aren't any.

I don't like widescreen monitors because of all the empty space on the sides.

I miss the days when 4:3 was an option for new monitors.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

You guys are anachronisms, seriously.

• There's no empty space on the sides when playing games or watching videos though, which is the main reason for widescreen displays anyway.

Also widescreen displays make it easier to display two pages of print side-by-side, when reading books or comics on the computer, which is convenient.