If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Anime/Manga Characters and Contact Lenses.

edited 2012-03-16 20:43:01 in General

Seriously, how would this work? They have such huge eyes, would that mean their contact lenses are huge too?

Contacts

Oh. I guess not.

Comments

• edited 2012-03-16 21:19:54
    Loser

Yeah, sometimes it does seem like the huge eyes thing is kind of ignored where glasses are concerned too, so maybe japanimation just does not do accurate optometry well.

small glasses

I mean, I seriously question how useful glasses are that barely even cover half of your eyes like that.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Actually, you know how some people use contact lenses to make their irises a different color?

Animé characters take it one step further.  Observe the following damning evidence:

1230053630010eu8.jpg

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Lots of drawing styles besides anime/manga use big eyes to help be more expressive. I think it's a fault on the storytellers for bringing attention to the contradiction.

• law of silence

^^^ Holy crap.

• Has friends besides tanks now
    Speaking of contacts and anime, do you know how mildly annoying it is to choose to cosplay a character whose eyes are a different color than yours, knowing that colored contacts would be an option if you weren't so fussy about things getting near your eyes?

>.>
  • edited 2012-03-16 21:32:28
    You can change. You can.

You know, I normally don't mind anime's aesthetical style, but for the love of god all of the things posted here look like motherfucking mutants ._.

ETA: Except the one in the OP

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Character in the OP ought to be using a different finger.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

This is just one of those things you've got to accept when you're watching something with a stylized artstyle.  It never really bothered me.

^ That's the finger I use though.  :<

• Yeah, big eyes are ubiquitous in animation. And it's not so bad since the art is stylized. It's only an unholy abomination the closer the person is to looking real.

"Speaking of contacts and anime, do you know how mildly annoying it is to choose to cosplay a character whose eyes are a different color than yours, knowing that colored contacts would be an option if you weren't so fussy about things getting near your eyes?"

For added fun, many characters have non-natural eye colours such as red (irony, I know). Though in all honesty, I don't notice eye colour unless I specifically draw attention to it.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

You know, I normally don't mind anime's aesthetical style, but for the love of god all of the things posted here look like motherfucking mutants ._.

Well, technically, everyone is slightly mutated.

/pedant

• Has that argument ever been used in X-Men?

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

It might have been, but it's moot when one mutation is 'digests carrots faster' and the other is 'POWER OVER REALITY'.

• But you never had any to begin with.
    "Character in the OP ought to be using a different finger."

Everyone I know who wears/wore contacts (including myself) uses that finger.
  • if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Quoted for truth (wears contacts).

• I actually think the image I posted in the OP was supposed to be a Lampshade Hanging of sorts.

• edited 2012-03-17 12:05:41

Another example, possibly more extreme than the one in the OP. Though unfortunately there's not really a better picture of this in the show. But, yeah, the thing on her finger is a contact lens, so... (Un?)Fortunately, it doesn't ever show the contact lens being put in, probably because that wouldn't really work.

• edited 2012-03-17 13:38:17
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

By mentioning the finger, I had a different meaning in mind. :P