If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Michael Pachter predicts doom for Nintendo... Again.

2»

Comments

• edited 2012-03-14 13:40:39
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Pokemon. Mario. Zelda.
  • Pokemon is still a huge merchandising juggernaut, Mario and Zelda are quite nostalgic for most of the kids born in the 80's and beyond.  These three franchises tend to have wide appeal to boot. The whole bit about them being of consistently high quality doesn't hurt either.

• edited 2012-03-14 13:56:43
    No rainbow star
    Still kind of amazing how Pokemon is so high up
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

More kids know who Mario is than Mickey Mouse now.

One of Nintendo's strength actually is its mascots, which gives them recognizable brand identity.

I guess MS sort of has one with Master Chief but what is Sony's?

• Erm, Toro & Kuro?
  • MrWMrW
    edited 2012-03-14 14:06:34

Lessee here... they had Crash and Spyro, but those got nabbed. I guess either Jak or Ratchet, but mostly Ratchet, considering they still make games for that series outside of PSP spin-offs.

^Doesn't precisely count, since those have been relegated to Japan for years.(well, before Street Fighter X Tekken, that is.)

• edited 2012-03-14 14:02:31
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Crash Bandicoot?  I think they were trying to use it as their mascot for a while.

ninja'd

^^ Haven't ever heard of them.

^ they got lawyered away?  How?

• Apparently, a falling out with Vivendi Universal caused them to regrab the rights from Sony. 

• They're somethin' else.

This guy is such a bore.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Well, I think they tried with Crash who is multi-platform now, but I don't think Ratchet & Clank have a strong enough presence to be the mascot.

• You can change. You can.

If anything, it seemed as if Nathan Drake was going to become one, but after the stinking piece of shit that is U3, I don't see it happening.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Somewhat related, I'm curious what people think of the idea that dedicated game consoles are going to become obsolete. IMO, people who think the next generation of consoles will be hurt by that significantly are overestimating the speed of the change, but I think the generation after that might be in trouble.

• Champion of the Whales

^

Oh yeah forgot about that. The Wii is still a dedicated games console right?

• No rainbow star
    ^ Nope. It has internet
  • edited 2012-03-14 16:28:32

re:Neptunia;  I really want to play this game.  And yet, I don't have a PS3... :/

As for dedicated video game consoles becoming obsolete...  I sure hope that happens soon.  With any luck, that would lead to fewer games exclusive to one platform, meaning a better chance of actually being able to play games I want to play. 

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-03-14 16:52:32

Er...wasn't the Gamecube the one that was considered a flop, relatively speaking (where "flop" means "was a massive success, but not quite as much of one")? The N64 did pretty well, IIRC.

The Gamecube had critical success for a large amount of what it did release, but it also marked when most of Nintendo's second and third party support packed up and went to Sony and Microsoft.  So yes, it was a smaller-than-usual success and lost a good deal of what made it a juggernaut in previous generations.

As for dedicated games consoles becoming obsolete, not bloody likely.  Sure they'll be able to do more non-game stuff, but ultimately being able to develop for and purchase games for a very specific and much cheaper platform with requirements you can count on not to change, have to upgrade constantly, or have compatibility issues with is an exceedingly powerful thing.

• Who's Michael Pachter?

Also: One of the hotels my family stays in in Georgia has some hotel N64 system or something attached.  The one I stayed in in Madison last week was more advanced: it had a GameCube.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Still kind of amazing how Pokemon is so high up

It's very accessible, has well-designed mechanics for the most part, the gameplay is fairly interesting, and it carries a lot of nostalgia for kids in the 90's.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

^^ I've seen that before.  Some hotels have a game system emulator coded into their TV network so that they can offer you games to play for a time-dependent fee.