If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Michael Pachter predicts doom for Nintendo... Again.

edited 2012-03-13 12:55:06 in Media

Why does anyone listen to this guy again? He's been making essentially this very same prediction for the past six years.

Hell, one of the comments manages to perfectly sum up how his previous predictions have played out:

1) Nintendo system is announced -- looks absurd from an aesthetic standpoint -- no first party games are shown and people pan the tech demos which aren't actually games.

2) Mario comes out for it and it sells 10 million.

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

To be honest, Nintendo has been pretty good at producing (or having produced for their systems) tech demos that are actually good games in their own right.

First- (or maybe second-) party example: Star Fox.  Third-party example: Super Castlevania IV.

• Champion of the Whales

Its cool to bash on Ninty because apparently they haven't lost their kiddie image from the N64 days

• But why do people feel threatened by Nintendo existing?

• edited 2012-03-13 15:41:22
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^Same as with all console wars stuff: they bought the other system, and any sign that the ones they didn't buy might not be complete shit makes them uncomfortable.

I have absolutely no problem with that "kiddie image".  Or appealing to casuals either.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^While it wouldn't be a problem either way IMO, I don't see how they managed to keep a kiddie image after publishing Eternal Darkness.

• Why don't people complain so much about the Macho image the 360 portrays? I find that such a turn-off.

• Silence is golden.

Why don't people complain so much about the Macho image the 360 portrays

You're joking, right.

• edited 2012-03-13 16:11:24
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

The biggest piece of criticism I can give to Nintendo right now is that their online play is always several years behind the curve. Especially when games like Pokemon could be improved by so much by having good online multiplayer.

^Also that. Hell, it isn't even that true. Microsoft has been going for a more Wii like image for the past few years.

• edited 2012-03-13 16:08:21

Eh, seems like I bought into the 360 = FPS stereotype. I do know that there are a hell of a lot of other games on there.

• Champion of the Whales

^While it wouldn't be a problem either way IMO, I don't see how they managed to keep a kiddie image after publishing Eternal Darkness.

People missed that game and Conkers Bad Fur day and Goldeneye and a bunch of other games on the N64. But here is a quick test, what do you think about when you hear the word "Nintendo"

• Yeah online multiplayer and poor third-party support are really the only thing I can say sucks about Nintendo.

WEP only, no communication, absurd latency, Final Destination.

• a little muffled

WEP only

That's only on DS; the Wii handles WPA fine.

• I know, but the DS is the only thing with games I'd bother playing online :|

• No rainbow star
    Isn't there an adapter that Nintendo released just to let the DS use wifi if you lack WEP?
  • But you never had any to begin with.

The DSi has inbuilt WPA capability, but most games are WEP only anyway.

• Worst of all, the console wars spawned this abortion.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Wasn't Chuggles obsessed with that game or something? 

• You can change. You can.

Is that the game where PS3, Wii and X360 fight or something

• MrWMrW
    edited 2012-03-14 11:17:30

^^WE DO NOT SPEAK OF HIM

On a more serious note, I should say that the Dreamcast came off the heels of a long string of failures for Sega(The Game Gear, the Genesis add-ons, the Saturn), whereas Nintendo has maybe a few misfires(the 3DS and maybe the N64, though the 3DS is getting popular lately and the N64 is beloved by fans). 

• And the Virtual Boy.

• Can't forget that.

• No rainbow star
    The N64 was a failure?
  • edited 2012-03-14 11:52:41
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Er...wasn't the Gamecube the one that was considered a flop, relatively speaking (where "flop" means "was a massive success, but not quite as much of one")? The N64 did pretty well, IIRC.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Yeah, the Gamecube did worse than the N64 but still did pretty well.

I don't get the Nintendo hate going on. It's some kind of anti-nostalgia that's been going on since relatively recently with crazy statements like 'all zelda games are the same' or 'they don't care about mario anymore' or whatnot.

• Excuse my foggy memory.

Wait, the Cube did worse than the N64?  I thought the Cube did better, thanks to having a better library of games (including Smash Melee) and a better-designed controller.

> The four CPUs grew to despise one another and began to fight for the honor of ruling over the world.

The only way this game's premise could be any sillier is if The World (the fictional MMORPG featured in the .hack// series) was actually the subject of a bidding war between the console manufacturers.

• edited 2012-03-14 13:16:29

Well, in terms of sales, it's 21 million vs 32 million respectively. Of course, the GameCube was still very profitable for Nintendo, apparently more so than Xbox and PS2 combined (warning: blog post), so it's too bad for the people hoping for Nintendo to fail.

"I don't get the Nintendo hate going on. It's some kind of anti-nostalgia that's been going on since relatively recently with crazy statements like 'all zelda games are the same' or 'they don't care about mario anymore' or whatnot."

I suspect it has something to do with gamers wanting legitimacy and thus attempting to reject Nintendo's perceived image of "Silly gamers, games are for kids!" It resembles the need for bronies to ironically expose their insecurity by claiming that they totally don't care that their favourite show is supposed to be for kids.

And of course there's that whole "casual" thing. Why expanding the audience to be more inclusive than teenage / young adult males is a bad thing is a riddle for the ages. 

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I don't get why people say the 3DS is a flop. If you compare a chart of its sales to a chart of the DS's sales over the same time period from launch, the 3DS has very consistently done better. I think its marketing was botched and it needs more exclusives, but it's doing quite well for itself, especially considering that its competitor, the Vita, was still being outsold by the PSP for awhile.

• No rainbow star
    Why IS Nintendo the best sellers every time?