If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Notch is afraid he'll never do better than Minecraft

Comments

• Likes cheesecake unironically.

There is no way that he could top Minecraft. With what game could he ever manage to do that? It would be better if he could stop worrying about that and instead just hopes that future games will have good success, no matter how close they come to Minecraft's. But I'm sure that's easier said than done.

Also, shouldn't he first finish Scrolls (or rather, put out a playable version), before he starts something bigger?

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Well, he could neglect Scrolls for a while, work on a number of other games, at which point it'll be an elder entry among his works.

• ʍɥɐʇ po ʎon ɔɐll ɐ ɾoʞǝ ʍıʇɥonʇ ɐ dnuɔɥlıuǝ

Well, he could neglect Scrolls for a while, work on a number of other games, at which point it'll be an elder entry among his works.

Booooooooo.

• You can change. You can.

There is no way that he could top Minecraft. With what game could he ever manage to do that? It would be better if he could stop worrying about that and instead just hopes that future games will have good success, no matter how close they come to Minecraft's. But I'm sure that's easier said than done.

blah blah blah Artists blah blah blah

• > Notch is afraid he'll never do better than Minecraft

Which is a shame cause Minecraft sucks.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I like Minecraft fine, but I honestly think he can do better.

Maybe not in terms of reception, but in terms of quality? Sure.

• Likes cheesecake unironically.

@Juan: Fuck you too.

Sorry, I'm straight. 

Though, now I do wonder what kind of offensive statement you seem to have inferred from that.

• edited 2012-03-13 17:03:34
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

@Juan_Carlos: You should probably have given a more substantial response than "blah blah blah Artists blah blah blah".  Try that next time.

@Nyarly: Cool it.

my point simply was that artists need to remain relevant. You can't simply remain stagnant and not aspire or attempt to further top yourself. Not only does that lead to economical failure, it leads to artistical failure. 

• Well, he could neglect Scrolls for a while, work on a number of other games, at which point it'll be an elder entry among his works.

HOLY SHIT, THERE'S ANOTHER SKYRIM?

I'M SO CONFUSED!  SOMEONE AGGRESSIVELY LITIGATE INDIE DEVELOPERS UNTIL I'M NOT CONFUSED ANYMORE.

and that's why bee failed law school.

^^Here's the thing. In the US, if you don't defend your trademark, you lose it. Is that dumb? Yes, absurdly. Does it mean that Zenimax was legally obligated to sue there? Sadly, yes. Idunno if you've heard, but it got settled: Mojang doesn't own the rights to the name, but has a perpetual license to use it.

• No rainbow star
    I still find it funny how within days of Jeb taking over Minecraft everybody began to say that Jeb was the best thing to happen to the game
  • Bethesda is getting shit over this because they get to decide every aspect of what happens next in the Scrolls franchise, starting with Scrolls 2 if that ever comes. It's just a really huge dick move that's going to cost them (respect, not money lord knows they're gonna win big after this one).

• edited 2012-03-13 18:01:31
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

because they get to decide every aspect of what happens next in the Scrolls franchise, starting with Scrolls 2 if that ever comes

Technically, they do, but I somehow doubt they want to exert much control. After all, that would basically entail developing a game, then letting a different company release it.

• No rainbow star
    So wait, Bethesda could rip all control of Scrolls away from Notch if they desired?

As I understand it, no. The contract says that Mojang can use the name as long as the Scrolls games aren't overly similar to TES games. So they do theoretically have veto power, but they can't just suddenly say "we own your IP now, hahaha."

• No rainbow star
    Considering the proposed mechanics, Notch shouldn't have that issue

Also seriously somebody would have to be fairl stupid/know barely anything about games to mistakes Scrolls for Elder Scrolls