If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I feel dismotivated (personal gripe.)

edited 2012-03-11 20:56:50 in Meatspace

After seeing this thread about seeing college only in terms of careers, I've had a somewhat uncomfortable realization: the only reason I want a career is so I can afford my hobbies.

I'm not really one of those people who feels proud for accomplishing something through hard work. I work because I know I have to, not because I want to do well.

I at least have enough of a sense of self-worth to try to be independent, but beyond that, I really don't feel the satisfaction of a job well done unless there's a tangible benefit immediately afterward, which there usually was when I was younger.

I recognize this might be a problem, but it's hard to just start feeling something even if you want to.

Comments

• "but beyond that, I really don't feel the satisfaction of a job well done unless there's a tangible benefit immediately afterward"

To be fair, many people don't. Though I do think that if you're only looking for later benefits, you're going to be chasing that benefit forever.

• Well, at least there's still something to chase. Perhaps that doesn't sound like much, but it's something.

• I wouldn't worry about it, for MOST people that's how they view their jobs? 

You think my Gramps WANTED to work down the mines? He didn't, but he did need to eat, so...:P