If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Pokemon Type/Theme Tourney

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Ban any legendaries with base stats over 600, then. Then they stand equal with the pseudolegendaries, are on the higher end of the power scale, can still be beaten out by slightly weaker Pokemon, and some legendaries are still usable then.

• a little muffled

Kyurem is the only legendary with BST > 600 that isn't uber already.

• edited 2012-03-10 18:21:26
    Has friends besides tanks now

All of the >600 legendaries except Kyurem and Regigigas are already Ubers, I think, so that's just about covered. Well, I dunno about how strong Kyurem is; apparently it's not even OU, but 660 BST isn't to be scoffed at. Regigigas is a total joke, though.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Regigigas murders everyone with Trick Room :V

• a little muffled

Oh, right, Regigigas exists. But its BST may as well be under 600 since it has to stay in for five turns to even get its stats.

Kyurem is mostly non-uber because Ice is a shitty type to be.

• No rainbow star
    Slow Start is the worst ability ever, along with Traunt (although Traunt at least makes Giga Impact viable since the recharge occurs on the same turn)

If I recall correctly, Slaking would be a fucking monster without Traunt
  • edited 2012-03-10 18:26:00

^^^ I don't think so; I've never heard of anyone using him in Singles, and only in Doubles/Triples alongside Cofagrigus because of its ability. I would have heard of Trick room Regigigas by now if it worked. Alas, its Attack would still be halved.

^^ Even still, though. I'd have to look at its stats to make a judgment call.

^ Slaking would indeed be a fucking beast without Truant.

• a little muffled

Slaking would indeed be a fucking beast without Truant.

Yeah, it's one of the best Pokémon in Balanced Hackmons. Especially with Pure Power...

• Has friends besides tanks now

Same with Regigigas without Slow Start and with Pure Power.

• edited 2012-03-10 18:27:30
    No rainbow star
    ^^^ Don't forget to take into account attacks. A Pokemon with awesome stats but shitty attacks is still shitty

A Trick Room Regigigas gets off to a good start, but its' attack is weakened, yeah. Though putting Wide Guard on him means that in reality, only two attacks will hit him in the meantime. That leaves you open to be able to put, say, Dizzy Punch/Giga Impact/Thunderpunch or Icepunch or Firepunch on him and still have a decent Pokemon to carry you through.

• edited 2012-03-10 18:34:21

^^^ Don't forget to take into account attacks. A Pokemon with awesome stats but shitty attacks is still shitty

Hence why Weavile isn't OU anymore.

A Trick Room Regigigas gets off to a good start, but its' attack is weakened, yeah. Though putting Wide Guard on him means that in reality, only two attacks will hit him in the meantime. That leaves you open to be able to put, say, Dizzy Punch/Giga Impact/Thunderpunch or Icepunch or Firepunch on him and still have a decent Pokemon to carry you through.

He'd still get played by phazing moves and status, assuming they don't already have in play something that can OHKO him; Fighting is quite popular.

• a little muffled

Weavile not being OU anymore makes me sad. Sneasel used to be my favourite Pokémon, and my first ever competitive team was based around a Weavile sweep.

He'd still get played by phazing moves and status, assuming they don't already have in play something that can OHKO him; Fighting is quite popular.

Yah, statuses are a bitch. Stealth Rock gets him a bit too, and others.

But then again, the same can be said for many, many Pokemon. He's far from useless, is all, if you build him the right way.

• edited 2012-03-10 18:36:23

It is too bad, yeah. I like those guys. :(

He's far from useless, is all, if you build him the right way.

Certainly. But there are generally pokemon that can do his job better, who also don't suffer as much from non-direct-attack shenanigans. Especially since getting Roared/Whirlwinded out resets his Slow Start counter.

Honestly, who even uses Roar :| Oh, right, people who just want to annoy their opponents. FUN IN ACTION.

• a little muffled

Well, when you have multiple layers of Spikes down it's pretty effective. Though I find stall teams pretty lame usually.

• edited 2012-03-10 18:42:33

Oh, right, people who just want to annoy their opponents. FUN IN ACTION.

It's quite effective as an offensive strategy when you've got 3 Spikes, 2 Toxic Spikes, and Stealth Rocks up. On the right team, it's far more than just annoying, and even if you're not utilizing entry hazard shenanigans, it can save your ass; I've won at least one match by repeatedly phazing out a pokemon I didn't want to deal with yet with Vaporeon.

Also, I like stall teams because I like troll teams.

Oh, I know it's effective on some teams, and it's definitely fun for the person doing it.

It's just... not fun for the person on the receiving end.

• a little muffled

I actually don't mind being phazed most of the time. Having something with Taunt helps.

I should have said 'not always fun'.

• edited 2012-03-10 18:49:28
    Good offensive strategies rarely are.

Personally, I'm much more annoyed by setup sweepers. At least phazing is somewhat of a crapshoot.
  • a little muffled

I don't think entry hazards + phazing really counts as an offensive strategy.

Nah, see, there's a difference between someone simply having superior Pokemon and utilizing movesets and such that you didn't see coming, and somebody simply cockblocking you trying anything by swapping out your Pokemon.

Most ways to play it are fairly fun because there's usually a way you can win, or you can see why you didn't win and you could potentially win with a different build. The opponent simply swapping out your Pokemon for you repeatedly is one of the most annoying things to happen because it doesn't let you do anything.

• a little muffled

Not true; phazing moves have negative priority so normally you'll always be able to get an attack in before getting sent out.

When I said 'trying anything' I didn't mean offensive moves, I meant like... setups and stuff.

That said, now I'd like to annoy any phazing teams by having an entire team of Poison types so I can Toxic them, and see who dies first (the poisoners due to entry hazards, or the phazers due to poison damage)

• a little muffled

Well, yeah, but that's the reason it's called phazing in the first place, because it can stop you from setting up. But all you need is Taunt man.

> using moves that i don't like

how could you betray me like this nyktos

also I'm using a very narrow definition of fun if you can't tell

Anyway, here's what I found on Regigigas.

• edited 2012-03-10 19:06:38

With phazing, there's also the matter of them randomly throwing something in that can destroy the phazer.

>Skarmory
    >phazes out, like, a Jolteon that was just sent in or something
    >sends in Infernape
    >fuck

I meant like... setups and stuff.

Well, people don't really like being set up on. >.>

That said, now I'd like to annoy any phazing teams by having an entire team of Poison types so I can Toxic them, and see who dies first (the poisoners due to entry hazards, or the phazers due to poison damage)

As long as you have a counter for Steel types and certain other things, that might be an interesting strategy.

• edited 2012-03-10 19:07:14
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

As long as you have a counter for Steel types and certain other things, that might be an interesting strategy.

It's overly specific, is the problem.