If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Pokemon Type/Theme Tourney

edited 2012-03-11 15:40:53 in Media
Loser

This was originally brought up in the main Pokemon thread, but it seemed like it was getting bogged down a bit, so Lai suggested making a separate thread for it.

So I guess the idea is that we are going have a set of different tournaments including at least a dual type one and a themed teams one.

These are the IJBMers who have said they are want to participate. Please tell me if the information below about the types you want to use is inaccurate so I can fix it. I am also guessing we probably need to decide if we want to not have shared types and want rules to use.

Participants

Multitype

1. Icalasari: Ghost/Electric
2. Lai: Ground/Bug
3. Abyss_Worm: Grass (No expressed preference for a second type)
4. Nova: Grass/Dark
5. 707ruz: Fire/Poison
6. Neo_Crimson: Rock/Steel
7. Everest: Fighting/Flying
8. LouieW: Normal/Water
9. Saigyouji: Dark/Psychic
10. Nyktos: Flying/Ground

Theme

1. Neo_Crimson: Trick Room
2. Icalasari: Dragon
3. Everest: VoltTurnPass
4. Nova: Mythological
5. 707ruz: Priority Moves

Rules

-Using Pokemon Online.

-Dragon cannot be one of the two types used in a team, but it can be one of the types of a multitype Pokemon on a team.

-Need to have a type combination different from another person's (e.g., two people cannot both use Water/Flying, but it is okay for one person to use Water/Grass and another to use Water/Flying).

-Standard clauses are in effect (Species, sleep, evasion, OHKO, and Moody clauses, no ubers, and no Drizzle + Swift Swim).

Comments

• a little muffled

I assume no dragons means no using Dragon as one of your types, not no Dragon-types period, right? (All but Haxorus have a second type, after all.)

Do teams have to be half-and-half between the two types?

Anyway I guess I'll tentatively say I'm in, with Flying and...I'll have to think about the other one.

• edited 2012-03-10 15:04:10
    Has friends besides tanks now

Thanks, Louie.

^ Sounds good. I think we were gonna have multiple tourneys.

EDIT: Considering this for my dual-type team:

Mienshao/Infernape/Skarmory/Gliscor/Togekiss/Lucario

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Are we forbidding Dragon type moves as well? What about different people having the same Pokemon?

• a little muffled

As I said, I'm pretty sure the ban is just on Dragon being one of your types, not on using Dragon-type moves or Pokémon.

• Has friends besides tanks now

Moves, no. As for different people having the same pokemon, I think that's fine as long as it's not the same two types for each person (like Ghost/Electric vs. Ghost/Electric).

• No rainbow star
    For my theme team, put Dragon (different from Dragon type. Eg Haxorus and Altaria don't look like dragons. Charizard and Gyarados however...)
  • edited 2012-03-10 17:33:06
    Loser

I like Everest's idea about being able to share types so long as you have a unique type combo.

As for other rules, does anyone have any ideas about what they should be? I think people decided on using EVs and I would guess that stuff like sleep clause is standard, but I do not really know enough about Pokemon battling to say what they should be exactly.

What kind of format should the tournaments be anyway (e.g., round-robin, single elimination, double elimination etc.)?

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

@Everest: I mean specific Pokemon. Like both of us using Skarmory.

• edited 2012-03-10 17:35:59
    a little muffled

Assuming we're not using ubers, we might as well use the standard OU rules. (Species, sleep, evasion, OHKO, and Moody clauses, no ubers, and no Drizzle + Swift Swim.)

I think I'm going to go with Ground for my second type.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I have no idea what this means, mostly because I don't keep up with Smogon and I have no real idea how to break the game anyway.

• edited 2012-03-10 17:39:34
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^^Agreed. We can houserule stuff later if need be.

• a little muffled

@Nova: You can't have more than one of the same Pokémon, you can't put more than one opposing Pokémon to sleep, you can't use moves that boost evasion or OHKO moves, you can't use anything with the ability Moody, and you can't use anything with the ability Swift Swim on the same team as something with the ability Drizzle. This is the current Uber list.

Like both of us using Skarmory.

Oh, I wouldn't mind that, personally.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I disagree with the Uber list if we just agree to not intentionally break the game, but everything else is fair.

• a little muffled

There are some things on there that aren't really that broken if we don't use the stupid sets.

I'd say, if you want to use something on the uber list, just make sure everyone's cool with it.

The point behind the Ubers list is that everything there does break the game and need their own tier where it's not necessarily fair anyway.

I don't think Excadrill is that broken outside of a couple of ways to build him. He's a very good Pokemon, yeah, but outside of those sets he's only as good as some of the Pokemon in OU.

Same with Blaziken.

• a little muffled

I'd be totally fine with people using Blaziken without Speed Boost, or Excadrill without Sand Rush.

• edited 2012-03-10 18:10:23
    No rainbow star
    As stated, we can house rule

Edit: God damn ninjas
  • edited 2012-03-10 18:10:44

Admittedly, I'm more worried about the Legendaries on that list than Excadrill and Blaziken. Excadrill's only broken on Sandstorm teams (and the easy solution is to ban Sand Rush), and Blaziken . . . I've already given my opinion on the entire ban of it before, so Blaze Blaziken, I'd be fine with. Wouldn't be fine with Speed Boost Blaziken, though.

Ninja'd.

When I played Emerald, Blaziken was the main force behind my team, including carrying me through two of the Elite 4 on his own and taking down 4 of the Champion's Pokemon single-handedly.

I'd like to not have him excluded because there's a way to build him that results in him being overpowered, is all.

Luckily, the non-Legendaries on the Ubers list are easily fixed.

• No rainbow star
    Except Garchomp

I would have thought that we would just ban Legendaries because they're intentionally more overpowered than regular Pokemon, is all.

• a little muffled

A lot of them really aren't though. Most of the trios for example.

• edited 2012-03-10 18:17:15

I'd be fine with a ban on Legendaries, myself. But for what it's worth, they're not all made equal. They're generally more powerful than I'd like in the main competitive tier, though.

^And of course the 5th gen has two trios that are.

• edited 2012-03-10 18:16:42
    No rainbow star
    ^^^ Like Nyktos said, many legendaries aren't very strong

Hell, the regis are UU last I checked

Oh yeah, they exist :V

• No rainbow star
    Everest: Eh, many of them aren't strong enough to warrant a ban

Although I wouldn't be against banning the Lati from our tourny

As you can imagine, I'd be totally fine with banning the Latis; I still think they belong in Ubers.