If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

US Police to use drones in about 90 days

edited 2012-03-04 15:47:43 in Politics
No rainbow star
I do not see this going well

In Capatilist America, sky watches you?

Eh, I'll put this in Politics. If a mod can think of a better place, please move it then

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I think it's a less big deal than people are making of it. Frankly, the US government doesn't give a shit about me.

• No rainbow star
    I'd just be more worried about when the eventual media shitstorm hits over a corrupt cop using it to get nude shots of sun bathers or something, causing everyone to rally against all police because one fucktwit couldn't follow the rules

Yeah, that is probably going to be a problem :/

• "I think it's a less big deal than people are making of it. Frankly, the US government doesn't give a shit about me."

Considering the government's record, the potential hazard depends on how left-wing you are. 

• edited 2012-03-04 16:18:44
    I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

^ Ha, then I'm screwed. 

And yeah, militarization of the police force is bad enough as is. I wonder if it was the War on Drugs® or the War on Terrorism® that got this approved? Well, at least there's no way to actually fire things useful to the police against protestors from the

Drone builders are researching the use of nonlethal weapons such as tear gas, tasers and stun guns fired from a drone 

for god's sake

Drone builders are researching the use of nonlethal weapons such as tear gas, tasers and stun guns fired from a drone 

Well, cancel what I said about it not being so bad, then -_-

I was going to make a comparison to all the cameras in the UK, but they don't shoot at you.

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

Look at the bright side: now we don't even have to invade other countries in order to execute enemies of the state without a trial!

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

I was going to make a comparison to all the cameras in the UK, but they don't shoot at you.

Depends if the drones are all flown by AI and just film everything for it to be looked at later then yes the CCTV comparison is apt. However if they are being steered by a human and the feed is being watched live, then less apt as most of the CCTV cameras in the UK are not actively being viewed all the time, a lot of their use is in evidence after the crimes.

• No rainbow star
    Ah, right, the weapons part

Imagine how easily they'd quash protests... :<
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

My theory that we're becomin a cyberpunk dystopia is becoming more true every day.

• But you never had any to begin with.

I'm assuming the US hasn't been hit by a mysterious nano-engineered plague yet?

• Champion of the Whales

I was going to make a comparison to all the cameras in the UK, but they don't shoot at you.

Most of the cameras are privately run and operated to deter shoplifters.

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

I'm assuming the US hasn't been hit by a mysterious nano-engineered plague yet?

As far as you know.

• No rainbow star
    ^ Hey Phil!

Or Nick

Or Bro
  • Next thing you know they'll be playing cheery patriotic music 24/7.

The use of drones had been restricted out of civilian aviation safety concerns created by a sky full of drones flown by untrained operators in the same space as aircraft. But that was overridden by successful lobbying of drone makers and customers who will reap the financial benefits for commercial purposes.

Oh for fuck's sake.

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

Who's the Orwellian police state now huh?
    :p 

Imagine how easily they'd quash protests... :<

Well, protests are illegal at the moment, though the first time that law gets enforced, it'll be laughed down by the Supreme Court.

• Has friends besides tanks now

Oh, yeah, protests are essentially illegal now, aren't they?

Plus these drones that'll soon be weaponized.

God damn it.

._. 

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

oh my god

america now has more restrictions than australia

We still have guns and games for adults...at the moment...

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

We still have games for adults, we just slap an R rating on them.

I can't imagine you keeping your guns for long though :3

• You can change. You can.

I don't think the second amendment is going away any time soon.

That's what they said about the right for free speech.

Then protests were banned.

• edited 2012-03-04 19:20:01
    Has friends besides tanks now

I think there are enough Americans who love their guns that they'll get to keep them.

^ Then again, there's also that.

• You can change. You can.

Yeah, but the US values guns more than free speech, don cha know

Americans like being able to say whatever shit they want almost as much as they have a hard-on for their guns :V

/talkingaboutshitidontevenknow

• edited 2012-03-04 19:23:27
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Americans value the freedom to own killing tools and not pay taxes. Freedom of ideas and privacy not so much.

Sure people will shout freedom of speech to defend being an asshole but they don't say that when it's them the freedom is exercised against.

Like I said, though, that law will almost certainly get slapped down the first time it comes up.

• No rainbow star
    If they tried to take away guns, I'd imagine there would be a miniature civil war

That would then be stopped by drones dropping explosives and shooting from the sky
  • edited 2012-03-04 19:23:19
    I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

We still have guns and games for adults...at the moment...

You say that as if the right to gun ownership is a good thing? (:p)