If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The trope "Ethical Slut".

Comments

• Inside, too dark to read
    Wait, arranged marriages are wrong?

Dharmashastras! We just had a thread involving these!
  • And why must you use ad hominem?
    Why must I use add hominid?

I brought a chimpanzee. Your argument is irrelevant.
  • Okay, you're slipping into attack territory again.

I'll take this seriously when I see you explain to Chagen that calling someone immoral, depraved, and reprehensible is also an attack. Till then, let's learn to reap what we sow.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    • DON'T ANSWER ROTT CYGAN OR ELSE THE THREAD WILL EXPLODE
    I'm not that stupid.

• Then why haven't they married yet?
    How about if they're gay? Are gay people not allowed have to ever ever have sex?
  • BobBob
    edited 2011-05-01 00:31:17
    They're gay. Gayness is wrong, the bible says so. Therefore, they're not even allowed to be gay. Why the hell are they even considering having sex?

Then again, I'm a slut, so what do I know?
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    • I'll take this seriously when I see you explain to Chagen that calling someone immoral, depraved, and reprehensible is also an attack. Till then, let's learn to reap what we sow.

That is a fair point. Chagen, in stating that, you have directly implied several people in this thread immoral, depraved and reprehensible.

Stop it.
  • Cygan: Exceptions can be granted in that case.

But gay people should be allowed to marry in the first place anyway.
  • Are gay people not allowed have to ever ever have sex?

I think it's fine if one of them is a member of the clergy; otherwise it's a great sin. God does not want you to lie with a man as you would with a woman.
  • edited 2011-05-01 00:32:39
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I'll take this seriously when I see you explain to Chagen that calling someone immoral, depraved, and reprehensible is also an attack. Till then, let's learn to reap what we sow.
    Um...ctrl+f is telling me that he didn't call anyone that. He called lust immoral and called both modern culture and prostitution depraved. I don't think he's used the word reprehensible in this thread, and he hasn't really made any personal attacks that I've seen.
    • They're gay. Gayness is wrong, the bible says so. Therefore, they're not even allowed to be gay. Why the hell are they even considering having sex?

Fuck, you're right. The Bible does say that.

No, the Bible is irrelevant here. We're talking about morals, not religion.
  • edited 2011-05-01 00:33:56
    [tɕagɛn]
    "Are gay people not allowed have to ever ever have sex?

I think it's fine if one of them is a member of the clergy; otherwise it's a great sin. God does not want you to lie with a man as you would with a woman."

.........You do realize I'm bisexual, right?

"No, the Bible is irrelevant here. We're talking about morals, not religion."

I get my morals partly from the Bible, it's perfectly relevant to the situation.
  • "Then why haven't they married yet?"

Do you have any idea how expensive weddings are?
  • edited 2011-05-01 00:34:07
    Inside, too dark to read
    If it's a personal attack to say promiscuity is immoral merely because promiscuous people are present, is it also a personal attack to say Marxists committed mass murder merely because Marxists are present?
    Cygan: Exceptions can be granted in that case.

But gay people should be allowed to marry in the first place anyway.

You cannot grant exemptions when talking about morals. Morals are applied to everyone or not at all.

I agree, by the way- they should. But that's irrelevant.
  • BobBob
    edited 2011-05-01 00:34:18
    ^^Except the latter is a fact, the former is an opinion.
  • "You cannot grant exemptions when talking about morals. Morals are applied to everyone or not at all."

Why is that?
    @Bob: You're begging the question "Is it impossible to discern moral facts through reason?"
    • If it's a personal attack to say promiscuity is immoral merely because promiscuous people are present, is it also a personal attack to say the Marxists committed mass murder merely because Marxists are present?

No, in that this is a demonstratable fact, not an opinion. I think.
  • "You cannot grant exemptions when talking about morals. Morals are applied to everyone or not at all."

Life isn't a very rigid place like that. Sounds too much like a False Dichotomy to me--life is very subtle and too detailed to apply blanket things like that.
  • edited 2011-05-01 00:36:38
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    • Why is that?

Because otherwise people are not being held to an equal standard; some are being held to higher standards than others.

^ Please see this comment.
  • BobBob
    edited 2011-05-01 00:36:38
    ^^The same could easily be said about sex.
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    If it's a personal attack to say promiscuity is immoral merely because promiscuous people are present, is it also a personal attack to say the Marxists committed mass murder merely because Marxists are present?

Only if they're also godless hippies who worship Charles Darwin.
  • "Because otherwise people are not being held to an equal standard; some are being held to higher standards than others."

And why is it impossible for morals to have that?
    Because otherwise people are not being held to an equal standard

Maybe inequality is part of true ethics.
  • Um...ctrl+f is telling me that he didn't call anyone that. He called lust immoral and called both modern culture and prostitution depraved. I don't think he's used the word reprehensible in this thread, and he hasn't really made any personal attacks that I've seen.

Being black is immoral. Black culture is horrible. I'm not personally insulting any black people in this thread, it's just their qualities that I find disgusting.
  • "If it's a personal attack to say promiscuity is immoral merely because promiscuous people are present, is it also a personal attack to say the Marxists committed mass murder merely because Marxists are present?"
    "No, in that this is a demonstratable fact, not an opinion. I think."

I'm not sure why either is a personal attack. That would be kind of like saying "killing humans is immoral" is a personal attack against me.
  • edited 2011-05-01 00:41:26
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^^Okay, seriously?  Do you seriously expect me to consider that post a legitimate argument?
  • BobBob
    edited 2011-05-01 00:41:44
    Except that you've most likely never killed anyone, Ed.

Fictional characters don't count.
    • I'm not sure why either is a personal attack. That would be kind of like saying "killing humans is immoral" is a personal attack against me.

Do you kill people?

Gimme a sec here...
This discussion has been closed.