If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    From my experience, they shove complex numbers into the first year of engineering and physical sciences curriculum. I won't say it's everywhere the same or I know all that much, but I'd be surprised to find otherwise.
  • edited 2015-03-29 17:25:39
    We saw most of what we needed to know in high school, the rest (e.g. Euler's equation) we picked up along the way. AFAIK nobody had problems with it.
  • >OKC
    >3 conversations going on about respectively sex-positivity, feminism and how terrible bronies are
    I've lost control of my life. 
    >implying I was ever in control
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Since you're here: anything of note about Nijmegen or Netherlands in general that I could tell a friend of mine who's going there for a semester of Erasmus?
  • edited 2015-03-30 19:46:33
    Diet NEET
    Nijmegen: one of my highschool bros does a PhD there. They have a good metal bar, an anarchist library that hosts gigs from time to time and lectures that are unintentional comedy and our sister student association(moonspeak site: https://www.karpenoktem.nl/) there is pretty neat(and probably one of the only ones who will not mind internationals have a look-see/become temporary members). 

Netherlands: People are pretty direct, learn to love it. Everybody speaks English pretty much. The place has plenty of cheap/free festivals if you know where to look, especially in the summer. Be sure to eat stroopwafels, raw herring and kapsalon. 

International year in general: get to know the locals, they know what's going on in the town even better. There's nothing sadder than to only hang out with other internationals for the semester. Also, they make for cheap accomodation if you ever want to visit again(which you will). 

Depending on his taste in entertainment, I can recommend more specific stuff.
    Thanks for the info. You know, in a desperate attempt to withstand the urge to crack bad jokes concerning certain stereotypes, I guess I'll just let you know if there's anything specific.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Isn't Dutch very linguistically similar to English?
  • edited 2015-03-30 22:04:15
    Diet NEET
    No prob, international time is golden and should be filled up as much as possible. 

There's somewhat of an overlap, yes. Old English is akin to Frisian mudlingo: 
  • >People are pretty direct, learn to love it.

And here I was thinking that you were just taller germans.
  • Noimporta wrote: »
    Is Myrmidon still hanging around here?
    No, but we can call him up from his grave to participate.

he's still alive you know
    Guys, does any of you know of some intuitive piece of movie editing software? Preferably applicable to .mov format, but it's not a must, I can live with it if I don't need to spend a whole day reading the manual in exchange. 
  • edited 2015-04-04 19:24:34
    What do you intend to do with it? 

I know Windows movie editor is okay for very basic stuff. Beyond that the name I hear the most is Adobe's After Effects. Haven't used it, so I dunno if it's intuitive. Blender can do video compositing, so maybe I could learn.

What do you need it for, exactly?
    Shorten, pretty much. Cut a couple of seconds out of a longer video, so it won't weigh all those dozens of megabytes. Looks like I need to do that first before I make it a gif.

Went to a folk fest the other day. Rusalkas prancing around were by far the most pleasant-looking part of it.

Oh, and turned out Windows Movie Maker was capable of doing the job.

I first heard of Rusalka from Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia.  Was pretty pleased to find they were digging into folk traditions other than those ones that everyone already knows.
  • I first heard of them from the terrible card cycle in M:tG
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    Rusalkas are cool. First I ever heard of them was in Shin Megami Tensei
  • edited 2015-04-09 14:48:18
    a little muffled
    I first heard of them from the terrible card cycle in M:tG
    Terrible? The red and black ones were Standard staples. (Yeah, one-drops have come a long way.)
  • Huh, I wouldn't have guessed so. Then again One With Nothing did see play at around the same time, so...
  • edited 2015-04-09 23:26:00
    a little muffled
    Well, the One With Nothing "tech" was more or less a joke even then. It was a sketchy sideboard card against a sketchy deck. Plagued and Scorched Rusalka were legitimately good in an era where most colours simply didn't get anything better than a 1/1 with a minor upside for one mana. (Having access to a sac outlet was also much better than usual in that meta since you could use it to stop your opponent from getting counters on a Jitte or from gaining life off Lighting Helix or Faith's Fetters.)
  • It also happened that there was nothing like Putrid Imp at the time, right?

Maan, I want to play M:tG now, but my friends stopped playing again and the local store went under (not that I ever went there), so...
  • a little muffled
    I play MTGO these days, when I have time. It's not so bad.
    Heh, Maduro's is getting a welcome at the Summit. LOL.
    I have now learned the term "cacerolazo".
    Evo Morales is scathing, in his critique of Obama wow.

Such critique, much scathing, wow. Sorry. Couldn't resist.

I dun geddit?
    Wow is a catchphrase of Doge.
    Doge?