If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• edited 2013-08-16 16:15:25
    a little muffled

@glennmagusharvey: In truth I have several regular DS games that I haven't played yet, so it may be a while before I actually end up getting any 3DS games. We'll see. There's a bunch of Virtual Console stuff I want too.

Anyway thanks for the recommendations everyone. I'll tell you what I think if/when I play them.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Are there any 3DS games that actually mandate use of the 3D feature?

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

I think the Mario game has some perception based puzzles, where if you fail, then you die.

Are there any games that are actually full-3D (such as Mario 64) on the 3DS that actually make use of the 3D feature that way?

• "I will grant you two wishes; one for each testicle."

The demo screen of Mario 3D Land demonstrate how the 3D helps with perception, but it's not strictly required.

Probably because you have to be 6 years or older to use it anyway.

Why are there no Youtube vids of early-kill Balrog in Street Fighter x Mega Man?

It's definitely possible -- I've done it before and I can't even do no-E-tanks Vega.

Disadvantages:

* harder than just outrunning him

* miss out on the E-tank at the end of the stage

Advantages:

* saves a little time (useful for TAS and speedrun)

* sticking it to the system

The person who played this at SGDQ didn't do it, though that's understandable since he probably didn't practice it and he was doing a run live.  But I wonder if speedruns do this.

• I think the Mario game has some perception based puzzles, where if you fail, then you die.

I fucking hated those, but they're offset by the fact that you can get a gajillion lives in 3D Land.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-08-18 02:05:49

You get a gajillion lives in every Mario game since 3.  And anymore it doesn't even matter because if you somehow run out all it does is reset you to the level hub.

I hadn't seen this one before.  Interesting thoughts.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

The Playstation 4 has a release date already! For some reason I thought this had dealt a blow to the XBox One, but apparently that doesn't have a release date yet and all the press has been damage control I guess.

As for the PS4, I'm probably not going to get it until it has at least a few JRPGs under it's belt (and until they let me play PS3 games on it since this is just two weeks after Fairy Fencer F comes out).

• The odds of the PS4 having backwards compatibly with PS3 games is next to zero. The PS3's CPU and GPU are different enough from the PS4's CPU and GPU that there is no way of making them compatible short of remaking the PS3 game for the PS4

It should be powerful enough to emulate the PS3 though. It's pretty annoying that backward compatibility has just ceased to be a thing.

• I would have to do some more research but based on what I know right now, the CPU in the PS4 is not that much more powerful than the PS3 CPU if at all. It does not help that the architecture of the PS3's CPU is such a clusterfuck that creating a fast emulator is a major pain.  

• Yeah, speaking as someone who's coded on the PS3, its architecture was an arcane mess that almost nobody knew beyond surface operations.  It was freakishly powerful if you knew, but it took, like, divine intervention.

• Diablo III: Reaper of Souls was announced.  Final boss is Ichigo er, Malthael.  New class is Paladin er, Crusader.  This makes me slightly more interested in Diablo III er, wanting to start a new character in Torchlight II. 

It does not help that the architecture of the PS3's CPU is such a clusterfuck that creating a fast emulator is a major pain. 

Great, I guess I won't be getting a PS4 for a couple of years then (And I possibly have to get a backup PS3 eventually in case this one dies).

This week in LRXIII stuff: Everybody (Except Serah) is still alive. I don't like Sazh's plot, since it's basically a rehash of his plot in the first game (Right down to not Serah, erm, Lumina, being somehow involved in it).

Of course I'm not expecting a plot that can even be called halfway decent (or coherent, in fact, I'm half expecting this to end in yet another sequel hook since as long as this can never make sense they can just keep building on it forever) but that doesn't mean I can't call them out for reusing scripts.

• They're somethin' else.

I'm so bored of Konami jizzing itself over Lords of freaking Shadow.

• inb4 Crusader class has overpowered Blessed Hammers that nothing is resistant to.

• HEY IT'S OKAY THE BARBARIAN HAS 1% MAGIC DAMAGE ON BERSERK SO IT'S JUST AS GOOD AS A HAMMERDIN

...fuck you Paladins.  Double fuck you, Blizzard. 

• edited 2013-08-23 12:06:30

I'm so bored of Konami jizzing itself over Lords of freaking Shadow.

Meh. Lords of Shadow is fun, but the voice acting is terrible, the story makes no sense, and the dialogue is cheesy as all hell. I guess it does well as a GoW clone, though.

...come to think of it, that describes Konami's other series pretty well too. Did Kojima ever do work on LoS?

• Allegedly the Metal Gear team worked on LoS, but no word if Kojima himself put in development time.  I know you were saying that in jest, but you weren't exactly wrong....

• edited 2013-08-23 13:42:13

Oh, so just allegations. 

The direction of that series is just... BLAND. The combat, the production values, everything. Last I played, Castlevania wasn't a goddamn blockbuster.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

I just discovered UnReal World RPG. It's like Dwarf Fortress's adventure mode, except with fewer bandits and more starvation, and it's apparently been running since 1993 or so. I tried a fisherman character, set out for a small island and attempted to settle down. Went quite well, although there was a moment when I had to chow raw fish to survive until the next catch. I divided my time between fishing, felling trees, and building a cottage. I build a nice, cozy hut, it just needed a fireplace. Since it turned out that the island has only 33 stones lying around, and I needed 35, I had to swim back to the mainland. Turned out the ease of getting in was deceptive.

• These days Konami doesn't really seem to know what it's doing outside the Metal Gear franchise.

• edited 2013-08-27 17:54:49
    "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."

Okay, I've been trying to clear Frozen Synapse off of my backlog for a while, and all I can say is this: fuck the final level. I get the puzzle aspect of it; I get that the AI moves their units in a specific pattern and that I have to learn it and exploit it. What I do not get is why the game delights in glitching and invalidating my movements several turns after they actually occur.

That unit you're moving into the center? Shotgunned in broad daylight by a unit you weren't expecting to be there, because you killed him ten seconds ago. Your unit is close enough to enter the capture zone before time runs out? No he's not! That skirmish you won three turns ago? It didn't turn out like that; everyone is dead.

I

am

being

retconned.

Sounds like the game is playing glitches with you too.

• Yeah I tried the demo of that game and pretty quickly went "yeah fuck that noise".

• "I will grant you two wishes; one for each testicle."

In recent news, Nintendo decides it's clamshell form factor that was critically praised ever since the conception of the GBA SP is outdated, and makes their next console A MOTHERFUCKING SLAB.

Da fuck Nintendo? I understand making a 2D-only version of the 3DS, but that form factor is the worst I've ever seen from a handheld gaming device.

It was probably meant to look and be used like a tablet/ iPad, which is an even dumber move.

You're on a roll with your handhelds, Nintendo. Don't piss it all away by acting cute.