If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"Region-free".

edited 2011-06-25 09:45:48 in General
Sony claims that their PS3 is just that. And it is, as long as you have an HDTV, and there's no region lockout. And if you don't, many PAL games will sill work on an NTSC-U TV. Some don't. And there's no way to tell unless you try playing the game.

This has happened to me twice so far, with Folklore and The Sly Trilogy.

Comments

• edited 2011-06-25 09:48:01
    Tableflipper
    wait, the TV is what counts?

I could have sworn it was more like the PS3 games being region free, rather than the PS3 itself.
  • edited 2011-06-25 09:50:34
    yeah PS3 is the loser console anyway. As a fortunate side-effect of of being the worst and most expensive console on the market though. If you can afford a PS3 you can afford a better system instead.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    I can attest to this.
    Before my brother got a HDTV he bought Disgaea 3, however it turned out to be the US version and so only would display in monochrome.
  • $80+ per session
    None of the consoles are "worse" than any other, Tnu.
  • I agree with Tnu... obviously... and with more expletives about the evils of S*ny.
  • no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    I think the quality of a console comes down to whether it has any games I want to play.

As it stands, for me it breaks down like this:

Wii = nada, and also I hate the control scheme.

X-Box 360 = Has Oblivion and nothing else, and Oblivion was released for the PS3.

PS3 = Has Metal Gear Solid 4 and is soon going to have high-def versions of 2, 3 and Peace Walker. Also has Oblivion, an HD re-release of Shadow of the Colossus and a sequel to said game, and I might possibly want to play Demon's Souls one day.

I haven't actually invested in any of these consoles yet tho (too expensive currently), but the PS3 is more likely than any of them to be the one I get next.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Right now there are three PS2 games I want to play:
    * Wild ARMs 4
    * ICO
    * Radiata Stories

Right now there are five GC games I want to play, that I can think of off the top of my head:
    * Metroid Prime
    * Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
    * Mega Man Network Transmission
    * Zelda: Twilight Princess (true left-handed edition)
    * Zelda: Ocarina of Time (because I don't want to get an N64...though now that the 3DS is out...)

Right now there is one PS3 game I want to play:
    * Valkyria Chronicles

Right now there are two PSP games I want to play:
    * Final Fantasy Tactics: the Lion War
    * Castlevania: the Dracula X Chronicles

Right now there are four Saturn games I want to play:
    * Mega Man 8
    * Rockman Battle and Chase
    * [Castlevania] Dracula X: Nocturne in the Moonlight
    * Magic Knight Rayearth
    DS (not including GBA):
    * Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
    ** maybe the other two but I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy owning them--but they do have damn good music.
    * Mega Man ZX
    * Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled
    * Monster Tale
    * Nostalgia

GBA:
    * Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
    * Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
    * Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
    ** maybe Circle of the Moon but I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy owning it--but it does have damn good music.
    * Golden Sun and Golden Sun: the Lost Age
    * Metroid Fusion
    * Metroid: Zero Mission
    * Scurge: Hive (I own the DS version but the GBA version is better)
    * Fire Emblem [the Blazing Sword]
    * Fire Emblem: the Sacred Stones
    * maybe Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas: the Pumpkin King
  • You forgot Dark Dawn.
    Haven't decided on that one yet.  I'm still a bit pissed that Matthew has to be such a blatant expy of Isaac's character design.

Same goes with FFTA2; haven't decided on that one yet either.
    You know what I DID forget?

Electroplankton for DS.
  • edited 2011-06-25 13:18:43
    * Final Fantasy Tactics: the Lion War

You sure?  It'd probably be best to just play the original.  The remake apparently suffers from pretty bad slowdown a lot of the time, and while the original script did have some hilariously bad translation errors, most of the actual dialogue was decent enough.  And from what I've seen I'd probably prefer the original translation over the remake's.
  • edited 2011-06-26 14:54:40
    no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    Right now there are five GC games I want to play, that I can think of off the top of my head:
    * Metroid Prime
    * Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
    * Mega Man Network Transmission
    * Zelda: Twilight Princess (true left-handed edition)
    * Zelda: Ocarina of Time (because I don't want to get an N64...though now that the 3DS is out...)

Does the 3DS edition also include the Master Quest? If so, then yeah I would go for that. I've heard the Gamecube edition suffers from slowdown.

Right now there are four Saturn games I want to play:
    * Mega Man 8
    * Rockman Battle and Chase
    * [Castlevania] Dracula X: Nocturne in the Moonlight
    * Magic Knight Rayearth

Is there any reason you particularly want the Saturn versions when (except for Magic Knight Rayearth) these are all available on some other console?
  • Because Segata Sanshiro will beat you up if you don't.
    @MoeDantes re Saturn:

* Mega Man 8 features Wood Man and Cut Man.
    * The Saturn version of SotN features extra areas and music as well as an extra playable character.
    * I don't know of Battle and Chase being available for any other system.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Does the 3DS edition also include the Master Quest? If so, then yeah I would go for that. I've heard the Gamecube edition suffers from slowdown.
    Sure does.
  • How does the same system which can run F-Zero GX slow down running an N64 game?
  • Emulation is slow, especially n64 emulation.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Yeah, the problem is less that it's running an N64 game and more that it's running a fake N64 which is running an N64 game, if that makes sense.
  • As a petty and vindictive person, I have to take extra steps not to appear petty and vindictive.
    Um... if the issue is the PAL or NTSC standard of the TV, couldn't you just change your TV's setting instead?
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    ^ I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that.
  • no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    * I don't know of Battle and Chase being available for any other system.

It's available in the Mega Man X Collection for both Gamecube and PS2.

How does the same system which can run F-Zero GX slow down running an N64 game?

They didn't port the game, they just programmed an emulator and have it running a ROM.

The problem with emulators though is that they're basically a computer inside a computer, so a lot of the resources are being used just to make the Gamecube pretend its an N64.

Computer emulators used to have the same problem. I had a Pentium that would choke playing SNES games, even though it was three times as powerful as the actual SNES. Of course, today's super-fast computers can play these things no problem.... but systems like the PS2 still give coders problems for exactly this reason.